• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to upgrade (1 Viewer)

Roy,

As a guide and only measured with a tape the mm measurements between the eyecups to the nearest mm are:-
60 - 15
61 - 16
62 - 17
63 - 18
64 - 19
65 - 20
66 - 21
67 - 22
68 - 23

If you can let me have your IPD I will measure the distance between the eyecups with calipers.

However, Binastro is right, you really need to try them as whether you wear glasses makes a considerable difference.

Stan
Thanks for that 'Stanbo' . I do not know what my IPD is (it is not shown on my eye prescriptions).
Strangely I wear prescription glasses which I use for Driving and watching the Tv BUT when viewing through Binoculars I cannot tell and differences with or without the glasses so never wear them when viewing through Binoculars or when taking shots with my Camera.

Thanks for that 'Stanbo' . I do not know what my IPD is (it is not shown on my eye prescriptions).
Strangely I wear prescription glasses which I use for Driving and watching the Tv BUT when viewing through Binoculars I cannot tell and differences with or without the glasses so never wear them when viewing through Binoculars or when taking shots with my Camera.

Roy,

I can use my binos with or without glasses like you, but I usually wear them as I need them for everything else, so it's more convenient that way.

My IPD is 68mm and I don't have any problem with glasses, but without glasses I can have minor discomfort with the sharp edged of the 10x42 L eyecups rubbing under the eyebrows or against my nose. Everyone's face shape is different so this will not always be the case, but I would think it is likely to be more critical with lesser IPDs.

If you bought your prescription glasses from an opticians they should have a record of your IPD or they will normally measure it free of charge. However, tell them what you want it for as some opticians are reluctant to give it to you as it is needed if you buy prescription glasses online.

You can get a sufficiently accurate IPD - good enough for this exercise, if you set up your binos to give you the best view and then measure the distance from the same points on each eyecup - such as left edge of the left barrel to the left edge of the right barrel. This will give you the same IPD as measuring from the centres of the optics which is difficult to do. Do this a few time and you should get the same IPD each time.

Stan

Last edited:
Stanbo gives good advice on measuring IPD in the post above. I'll add that I've found it very convenient to make a template for setting the IPD quickly, as it takes the trial and guesswork out of the procedure. I have simply cut a slip of semi-soft plastic to the exact length of my IPD distance, and use this as a ruler of sorts to set the distance between left sides or right sides of the eyepiece lens (which is constant, unlike the eyecups which can wobble a bit).

More specifically on the minimum IPD of the Canon 10x42 L IS, it is 56 mm, i.e. it can be set quite narrow. But you need to be forewarned that since the eyecups are huge and have flat front surfaces and sharp edges, there will be little or no room for your nose between the eyecups if you have narrow IPD. However, if you keep the eyecups twisted in and lean the eyecups against your brow, with your head slightly tilted down, you will get a fine view and good support. Actually, this is what I mostly do even with my 66 mm IPD as it is more comfortable and allows for very quick acquisition of best image and optimal eye-relief distance.

On the topic of 8x and IS, my view is that most birders think they don't need IS at such a low magnification, but after becoming accustomed to stabilised 10x views I personally find even 7x hand-held images tediously shaky despite having relatively good arm strength and not particularly trembly hands. Also, simply placing an 8x binocular on a tripod or some other solid support and comparing the views to freely hand-held views is a rather eye-opening experiment.

Kimmo

Thanks Stan and Kimmo - as far as I can tell my IPD is about 61mm so fairly narrow I would have thought!!.

I am reasonable comfortable with my old 8x42 bins as far as shake goes but certainly not a steady as I once was - as most of my birding is done in the the estuary where the birds can often be a fair way off I was looking for at least a 10x mag so though IS bins are the way to go.

Update

Its back to the drawing board for me. Having received a pair of Canon 10x42 L IS binos (almost £200 off for black Friday at WEX) I have concluded that they are just to cumbersome/unwieldy for me so I am returning them.
Weight was no real problem as I carried them with my Black rapid camera strap via the tripod mount screw. I just found them unwieldy when viewing with them - My small IPD did not help.
Optically. I thought they were superb especially with the IS on. I guess Canon must have modified the eye piece as it is now all rubberised with no sharp metal exposed.
Thanks again for all your help guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back