• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumble head october (1 Viewer)

jay-jay

I am staying in the fishguard area for the week begining 4th Oct. I am planning to do quite a bit of birding and would like to do some sea watching.

Am I best going to strumble head and as I can go any day of that week could anyone tell me if I should look out for certain weather conditions to get the best results, I would like to see petrels if possible.

many thanks
julie

According to where to watch birds in Britain book the best seawatching conditions for Strumble head is a south west gale veering west or north west for seabirds.

Anything can turn up at Strumble Head in October, but you need to be patient. There is a shelter there so you won't get wet if it rains. Take a stool or collapsible chair with you and you can spend a very comfortable few hours seawatching.You will need a scope as many birds pass far offshore and may not be visible to the naked eye! Look out also for harbour porpoises and dolphins which are regularly seen there too. Have fun and let us know how it went! Also wrap up warm, the wind can be very fierce there!

Many thanks for all your replies.

I will watch the weather reports, wrap up warm and enjoy and let you know what I see.

cheers
julie

Julie,
I have sent you a pm. You may see Sunfish and Harbour porpoises will be there every day and on calmer days are easier to see. Dolphins are less often see but who knows. At this time of the year, passage birds will be coming from your right so that is where to pick up the skuas etc. The observatory actually faces due north as you will see when the ferry passes to the left on its way to Ireland. Hope this helps.

The wind looks excellent this weekend for Strumble,strong SW'erlies Sat day/night and veering to the NW Sunday am. Maybe we'll see you down there.??

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back