• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 from zanzibar (1 Viewer)

Geert Custers

2 birds I saw in July on zanzibar I am not sure off.
The heron I think is a dark morph little egret.

I think the the other bird is a common sandpiper because of the length of the tail. However there was no white wedge at the sholder.
Would appreciate your opinion.
Regards,
Geert

Attachments

• IMG_7168 little egret dark morph.jpg
    IMG_7168 little egret dark morph.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7420 sandpiper W.jpg
    IMG_7420 sandpiper W.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7426 sandpiper.jpg
    IMG_7426 sandpiper.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 118
Hi Geert...

...and welcome to the muddy waters of Egretta identification and taxonomy.

Generally speaking, it seems safer to consider any 'black' Egretta along the Tanzanian coast (including Zanzibar) as an E.dimorpha = Dimorphic Egret (let alone Black Egret, which is very different and easy to ID). But things change as you reach the Kenyan coast, because Western-Reef Heron must be taken into consideration

I imagine you were considering Little Egret because of the 'clear-cut yellow feet' as described in Stenvenson and Fanshawe's, I can however assure you that this is by no mean an ID feature (otherwise it would mean that the Tanzanian Coast is full of dark morph Little Egrets...).
From my own experience, Dimorphic appears a bit longer billed than Little, the bill is also deeper based with a slightly drooping tip (all this rather subtle...) and in my opinion, your bird fits perfectly.

To illustrate the serious ID problems caused by the genus Egretta, I have attached a shot taken near Dar-es-Salaam. At first, I thought the white bird might be a Little Egret because the bill looks noticeably thinner and straighter than the bills of the dark birds (not a photographic artefact as I had the same impression in the field) but when reviewing my pictures, I noticed that one of the wing-covets near the wrist is black....and I know that dark Dimorphic egrets commonly show a few white feathers in this area and vice-versa...so I don't know exactly what this bird is, but I think it's probably a white Dimorphic.

P.S: the sandpiper is a common, the white breast sides aren't always apparent

Attachments

• IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 94
Thanks all for the ID's.

I indeed went for a little egret because of its clear cut yellow feet. Good to know that this isn't a hard ID feature. Thanks for the additional info.

Your white egret is an interesting case.
For my understanding, is it impossible for a little egret to have a black patch? This as bill size and shape are different when compared to the two dimorphic egrets.

Geert

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back