• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Diamondback 8x42 (1 Viewer)

dreever

I recently upgraded to the Vortex Diamondback 8x42's from Eagle Optics.
My old binoculars I'm almost embarrassed to say were a pair of at least twenty year old Bushnell 7x50's. All I can say is wow what a difference. I know here the Diamondbacks are probably considered entry level but for my usage I didn't think I needed to spend a lot more money. In the future I may upgrade again, but for now I'm verry pleased with the Diamondbacks.

You made a good choice, Dreever!

Eagle Optics has sold a ton of these 8x42 Diamondbacks since they came out!

They have 51 reviews of them on their website averaging 5 stars. And all of these reviews are voluntary! And they are currently out of stock!

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-8x42-binocular

They have been improved somewhat over the years and are brighter than they originally were. I have one and I used it as a car binocular for a year without any problem. It stayed in the car all the time. It's built tough. They have a wide FOV and long eye relief and the Vortex Warranty might be the best in the business.

Bob

Last edited:
I have a pair of those and they are great. Very bright. The warranty cannot be beat. If you drop in the river 40 years from now, they will be repaired or replaced. They are guaranteed against anything except loss or theft or intentional damage with no time limit.

From looking at the store, the Diamondback 8x42s and 8x32s I saw in 2014 were
noticeably sharper and deeper contrast than in 2012. An actual "wow" factor.
I did compare with the Conquest, and it was close. I don't like the high focus speed on the Conquest.
I got Carson VPs, but the Diamondbacks fight just-off-axis glare better...and that's new. You can
see a proper tunnel/iris.
I think they've revamped things. They have some stiff competition in that roof price range.
You can buy a little better for a lot more, but it's getting harder and harder to tell if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Optic Nut, I have noticed on several posts your mention of Carson Binoculars. I remember hearing about these 5 or 6 years ago but there is little mention of them now. I am a bit interested in the 8x32 HD models and also the XM 8x32. As an actual owner, could you tell me your impressin of these and maybe compared to something better known? Thank You! ----Jim

Carson is on a push into this price class the past few years.
I did get a chance to look through XMs....they are awesome.
Almost like the Nikon Monarch 7s. I got the VPs because they
are so good for the price, and they are very short. I can
goose the contrast performance with hoods I made when conditions
are challenging. That brings them out to about the length of the XMs.
So I can get the extra performance with the hoods when I want it.
I love the size on the Carson 8x32 VPs...just a bit more than an old 8x25.
Same length almost, thicker barrels.

The Carson XMs and the Diamondbacks are almost the same in price.
The Diamondbacks are a dite shorter, though, and awesome contrast.
I would pick those at $180.

At the HD level, I would have to ponder a long time...so many great ones.
The ones below that are so good now, I can bide my time and not worry
about breaking or losing precious stuff.

Vortex has done a very good job of offering optics at every price point and the diamondbacks are no exception, not to mention they have a no-questions-asked warranty so if your kids break them or whatever you get a new pair. They aren't equal to, or better than, the Vipers, Conquests, or other 'HD' labeled binos out there though, but then I wouldn't expect that when the Diamondbacks are 200 bucks and the Conquests/Vipers are 500, 600, 700, et cetra.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back