• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antelope ID, South Africa (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!
I saw this antelope on Devon Grassland near Johannesburg in South Africa.
Please help me identify it
Thank you!

Attachments

• 1E6A7194.JPG
    1E6A7194.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
I would go for a duiker species too. Surely wrong habitat for Klipspringer?

I wondered about habitat, I went on structure more than anything else, Klipsringer is a sturdy little thing, noticeably more so than e.g Grisbok.

Hind quarters also appear too low for Duiker but probably just the way it's standing then?

This is clearly a male Common duiker, jizz (e.g. shape of head) is completely wrong for Klipspringer and fits exactly on Common duiker.

Klipspringer are also rarely seen far away from rocky areas and "grasslands" sounds like typical duiker habitat.

Grysbok are nocturnal and look quite different from this one...

Thank you!
Indeed Just checked the distribution areas of all species discussed and see that Common Duiker is the only one that should occur there

This is clearly a male Common duiker, jizz (e.g. shape of head) is completely wrong for Klipspringer and fits exactly on Common duiker.

Klipspringer are also rarely seen far away from rocky areas and "grasslands" sounds like typical duiker habitat.

Grysbok are nocturnal and look quite different from this one...

Finally caught up with Sharpe's in Kruger last year and saw 3 individuals all in day time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back