• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Wild Mammal Photographed in Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

-
In photo 4 I think that is a fish while in 6 I think the Mink is eating something again. Maybe there is a clue in photo 5 the toes on the back left leg might be a clue?
-

Hi Karwin,
Isn't it a Stoat that has a dark-tipped tail?Are they called Weasels in Finland?Is Pygmy Weasel the same as Weasel?
Mink for the first pics,btw!As well as concrete ID features such as the white on the chin,note how the whole back/tail are above the water while it's swimming.
Harry

Hi Checklg,
your pic is Mustela nivalis, allthough it seems to be quite a big one (male?).
As Karvin already said the tail of Mustela erminea is much longer (and also thicker) with a black tip. Also, Mustela erminea is in the size between Mustela nivalis and Mustela vison.

Jörn

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Karwin,
Isn't it a Stoat that has a dark-tipped tail?Are they called Weasels in Finland?Is Pygmy Weasel the same as Weasel?
You're right. My english-name source was too old, as You possibly noticed from the sxcifi name hassle, too. FYI, in Finland that is called kärppä (now, try to pronounce that :) ), the pygmy thing being lumikko.

Hi Martin,
I know you posted this a few weeks back but as I have just joined the forum and I know the area well where the photos were taken, I thought Id drop you a line on this subject.
Firstly the shots to me show a definate Mink, unfortunatly all too common on Lothian rivers. Previous Lothian bird reports have mentioned the lack of breeding waterbirds on our rivers and water courses with Mink being the chief suspect.
Moorhen was particuarly hit badly( 1983 Lothian bird report;Edin YOC Water of Leith Survey).
As for Otter, well for years this was a very rare mammal in Lothian but in recent years this trend has changed for the better.
Otter are now quite reguarly seen in Lothian, including the R Almond where you took the shots.
Hope this has helped you out.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back