• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which scope? (1 Viewer)

luckmurph

Hi all, looking to get a new scope soon, looking at the following models
ATX 65
ATS 80
Both are roughly the same price, want to use it for Digiscoping (iPhone XR)astronomy and taking with me on coastal walks,
I know the 80 will let more light in but just wondering if the optics are better on the 65? As this is a less bulky scope to take on my walks!!
Many thanks
Andy

Hi,

my choice between the two would be the ATS 80 - despite 90g more weight and 6cm more length as compared to the ATX65. I might be tempted by other offerings too, though.

Unfortunately even with alpha spotting scopes there is sample variation and this is probably more relevant for the image quality you will get than any optical differences between the ATX and ATS designs. So see to that you can try the example before buying it.

Also if you would consider the 25-50 wide zoom with the ATS, please make sure that you can easily find an eye position that shows an image without parts of the field blacking out (aka kidneybeaning) as this happens for some users depending on individual facial physiognomy.

Joachim

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, had a look at them today love the ATX 85!!
Just got to justify the cost going to sleep on it! Then make a decision at the weekend but if I don’t go for the 85 I will get the ATS 80
Thanks
Andy

Andy,

I'd second Joachim's preference for the ATS 80. The ATX 65 really only makes sense as a travel alternative for those possessing an 85 mm or 95 mm objective module. It's much heavier and more expensive than the ATS 65 and its 60x magnification is unlikely to prove useful under field conditions due to the small exit pupil.

However, a Kowa 883 would not be much more expensive than the ATS 80 and the Meopta S2 is an excellent scope at a very reasonable price.

John

However, a Kowa 883 would not be much more expensive than the ATS 80 and the Meopta S2 is an excellent scope at a very reasonable price.

Those two would certainly be on my want to see list if I was in the o.p. position. I personally have seen quite a lot large Kowas (all at least good) but not a single Meopta S2...

Joachim

Thanks all I have found somewhere that has both the Swaovski’s in stock the Kowa and a Leica Televid 82, going to pay them a visit in a couple of weeks over 400 mile round trip for me, but at least I will be able to try them out side by side!! The. Hopefully come away with a lovely scope!

Andy,

As sample variation is not uncommon, even amongst premium scopes, it would be advisable to buy the example you have tested. Better if you have an overcast day for this as heat haze will make an objective comparison impossible. A star test might be difficult but if you are able to view newsprint at mximum magnification and at 30-40 m you should be able to see differences in contrast.

Don't forget to allow enough for a stable tripod and head. Personally, I'm not a fan of stay-on cases, even for my non-armoured Kowa, and merely use a cheap padded case for transport in the car.

John

Andy,

As sample variation is not uncommon, even amongst premium scopes, it would be advisable to buy the example you have tested. Better if you have an overcast day for this as heat haze will make an objective comparison impossible. A star test might be difficult but if you are able to view newsprint at mximum magnification and at 30-40 m you should be able to see differences in contrast.

Don't forget to allow enough for a stable tripod and head. Personally, I'm not a fan of stay-on cases, even for my non-armoured Kowa, and merely use a cheap padded case for transport in the car.

John
Thanks John, that’s what I’ve picked up on hence the reason to try them out, a lot of money ( for me!) so I would rather do a few miles to get it right!
I have a decent tripod, just going to change the head to a fluid one!
Think I will be the same re stay on cases!

Update......this morning I visited the birders store in Worcestershire, to try the Leica Apo 82, Swarovski ATX 85 & the Kowa 883 side by side, for some reason I quickly ruled out the Swarovski just couldn’t get on with the focus/zoom wheels!! But optically it was on par with the other scopes, not massively different to justify the extra cost!
I went with my heart set on the Leica, not sure why just found it the most pleasing to look at!? But on trying them out I was blown away with the Kowa, so bright and vivid at all Zoom levels, (even with the extender ) so I’m pleased to say I came away very pleased with my purchase!!
Having spent this evening on a local reserve at dusk I can honestly say I made the right decision, and would thoroughly recommend the birders store, so helpful in setting the scopes up and helping me make my decision!!
I would definitely recommended try before you buy especially when spending this much money!! The amount of times I nearly just brought one online!!.....really pleased that I resisted and tried them out!! Thanks all for your help and advice! Andy

Last edited:
Hi,

congratulations to your new scope! Good to hear you found one you reall like - and good that you didn't get stuck with a so-so one bought online.

Joachim

Hi,

congratulations to your new scope! Good to hear you found one you reall like - and good that you didn't get stuck with a so-so one bought online.

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, only managed to use it once so far, I'm off work tomorrow so will go somewhere weather permitting!! but so far so good loving it definitely made the right choice!
Think if i had just ordered one on line it probably wouldn't have been this one and i think i wouldn't have been totally satisfied.....wondering what the others were like!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back