• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello and question (1 Viewer)

Birdkag

HI everyone, I'm so glad I found your forum. I am just beginning birding as a fifty something and am wondering why I didn't take it up years ago. I have started my birding activities by visiting my local parks and trying to get to know the common birds there first so I can get my eye in so to speak. I live in a city and have had only a glancing relationship with nature so far which is something I am now determined to remedy.
I was in Sefton park, Liverpool yesterday and saw some small duck like birds on the boating lake leisurely swimming around. I had just identified some Canada Geese and Mute swans, as well as some female Mallards. Things were going well until I saw these small white, grey and brown/black ducks. I think they are juveniles. I looked through the appropriate sections in my Collins nature guide to birds as well as the RSPB app that I have on my phone but couldn't find a match. I noticed that it's hard to find images of juvenile birds. I haven't found any on the internet that match either. Can anyone put me out of my misery? I am beginning to learn that not being able to identify a bird is like a itch you cannot scratch. I'd really appreciate the help, thanks. I apologise for the quality of the photo but all I had was my phone's camera and dusk was closing in.

Attachments

• IMG_0994 (2).JPG
    IMG_0994 (2).JPG
    143 KB · Views: 9
Hi Birdkag and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

That's a Black-headed Gull you've got there, and it looks to me like an adult losing his breeding plumage. You can read more about them, and see more images in our Opus article here. With some pictures showing various plumage stages.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Hello Birdkag,

Welcome to the Forum. Starting off in your local park, was how I started. I do not think that I have ever gone bird watching more than 20km from home, which means that I have not let his pastime get out of hand. Not every bird watcher needs to be an obsessive.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi Birdkag and welcome to BirdForum. I agree with Delia that it’s a Black headed Gull. Gulls are a group that I struggle with.

Rich

Welcome to Birdforum. Your Black-headed Gulls can be recognised in flight by the combination of the dark head cap and the outer part of the wing, a long and narrow-ish flash of white near the leading edge. Listen to the calls they make, its a raucous KEEYAAARRRR and once you have learned it you will know they are around without even seeing them.

Lee

Hi Birdkag and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

That's a Black-headed Gull you've got there, and it looks to me like an adult losing his breeding plumage. You can read more about them, and see more images in our Opus article here. With some pictures showing various plumage stages.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery. I'll definitely check out the article you recommended.:t:

Hi Arthur and thanks for a warm welcome. I am normally quite obsessive by nature but I am a full-time carer for my disabled wife, so it's nice to have a hobby you can pick up and leave as commitments allow.

Thanks Rich, it's good to know that I'm not alone!

Indeed you aren't Birdkag.... I don't 'do' gulls either (but don't tell anyone please;)). It's just I've seen a lot of these, and know most of their plumages now.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back