• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nocturnal Gulls (1 Viewer)

Pedro vanman

Smart Alec exile from Kent
Hi all
I hope i'm posting this in the right place. Every weeknight I do a delivery to Barry Island (sw of Cardiff) and most nights there are at least 5 Gulls of varying species that seem to be actively feeding etc and aren't much bothered by traffic etc.Not knowing much about Gulls I was wondering if this was normal behaviour?
happy birding
Peter :eat: :eat:

I often hear gulls flying about late at night, in dark hours - I live in Gt Yarmouth so they are pretty abundant.

Never really thought about it before, just sort of assumed it's a gull thing to be up all night.

Aren`t there some Gulls (Swallow Tailed?) in the Galapogos that are strictly nocturnal? I may have read somewhere that they`re nocturnal to avoid predation by Frigatebirds.........

The gulls on the beach here in winter sometimes fly about at night especially when the squid fishing boats are about.......

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back