• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking ED monocular (1 Viewer)

Keith,
I'm sure they will be quite good optically.
My only issue would be that these are big units. I used to have a Zeiss West 8x30 monocular, but sold it because it was as much to carry as a regular set of binocs.

I looked through one of these (not Viking branded but I'm sure its from the same Chinese OEM) and was very impressed by the view like the Chinese ED bins. Very, very nice. They control stray light very well.

That said they're still a monocular and I think they had a helical focuser that was a bit difficult to quickly focus whilst keeping the bin steady.

That said they're still a monocular and I think they had a helical focuser that was a bit difficult to quickly focus whilst keeping the bin steady.
I suppose, strictly speaking, the abbreviation should be mon. It doesn't sound right though, does it? Viking is a respected optics retailer and I am sure the monocular will be good. I can't really see the advantage over a good pair of compact bins though.

Ron

It boils down too that a good pair of compact bins doesnt exist in my experience, good optics yes, painful ergonomics. Monocular = 4mm exitpupil at 200 gram.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back