• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Polecat or ferret? (1 Viewer)

Richard

I attach 2 pics of a ferret or Polecat killed on the Notts /Derbys border. It was 22 inches nose to tip of tail. It it possible to identify from the pics?

Thanks

Richard

Attachments

• Roadkill1.jpg
    Roadkill1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Roadkill2.jpg
    Roadkill2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 363
My Fieldguide notes that some Ferrets are probably indistinguishable from Polecat on external features. If I remember correctly a number of precise measurements of the skull are required to distinguish between the two species. Unfortunately it does not seem to be possible to identify your roadkill on the basis of these photos.

Stuart

Polecat,( Mustela-putorius) True polecat has appearance of dark mask on face as this one has.
bert.

Agree with the below posts, it does look pretty good for Polecat. I heard from a fairly reliable source that there are indeed quite a few genuine Polecat populations in the UK. Some appear to have possibly come from a covert and mysterious "re-introduction" programme. I don't know any more than this, but as I said, the source of this information was pretty reliable.
Interestingly too, I don't think that it is the only species which may be being released.......!!!!!!!

JP

It's so sad to see pictures like that but I can't help but find this funny, sorry about the bad taste.

Mick

Attachments

• roadkill[1].JPG
    roadkill[1].JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 291
Richard said:
Thank you all very much for feedback. I wish I could find someone with room in their freezer!! :)

Richard
I suppose if it were not over three days old, it would taste OK if cooked long enough! Just joking! Sorry, if this is in "bad taste".

Interestingly too, I don't think that it is the only species which may be being released.......!!!!!!!

Intriguing! What are these 'other mammals'? I've heard about wolves, wild boar and beavers being covertly released here and there....... And I've seen TWO 'pumas', most recently one on the central reservation of the M3!

Mickymouse said:
It's so sad to see pictures like that but I can't help but find this funny, sorry about the bad taste.

Mick
As sad as it is Mick, somtimes you just have to laugh. Glad it's not just me!
bert.

David Bryant said:

Intriguing! What are these 'other mammals'? I've heard about wolves, wild boar and beavers being covertly released here and there....... And I've seen TWO 'pumas', most recently one on the central reservation of the M3!

Do you have any more info on the Wolves particularly? Lynx maybe??? One was hit by a car in Morayshire last year. Its all just hearsay but nothing would surprise me. Particularly as in Scotland at least, SNH seem to be unwilling to go forward in any type of mammal reintroduction schemes unlike our European neighbours, despite being obliged under EU law to at least carry out feasability studies!

JP

Last edited:
jpoyner said:
I heard from a fairly reliable source that there are indeed quite a few genuine Polecat populations in the UK.

I read that Polecats had spread to the Forest of Dean, from their stronghold in Mid Wales, by about 1980, maybe earlier. Given that we are now another twenty-odd years down the line, it seems quite feasible that this is just an extension of the 'natural' recovery (undoubtedly helped a little by their escaped cousins occasionally).

In 'my' corner of South-east Wales, I have seen several Polecats each year for the last ten years or so, probably on a par with the number of sightings of Brown Hare (both are seen more frequently than Fox, Badger, Mink, Stoat or Weasel).

Andy.

David Bryant said:

I'm also very curious. Tell more! Even if it sounds a little stringy, just for the value of a good story!

:)

could have sworn I saw a Polecat walking along the road with a Rabbit in its mouth north of Inverness one night.
Way out of range though and NO it wasnt a Pine martin

I read some years back (10?) that Polecats had made it east to Oxfordshire and the Chilterns. Presumably the spread continues. I saw a Polecat or Polecat like Ferret at close range near Wareham in Dorset in the summer of 1999. As Andy says, they are rather common in SE Wales, when I stayed near Usk in the summer of 2000 they were one of the commonest mammal corpses on my local country lanes.

I don't think there is any way of telling a polecat like ferret from the real thing for certain and (much like Wildcat) any sightings a long way from known populations or in unlikely habitats should be treated with suspiscion.

DJ Sideboard said:
I don't think there is any way of telling a polecat like ferret from the real thing for certain and (much like Wildcat) any sightings a long way from known populations or in unlikely habitats should be treated with suspiscion.
Any idea how you tell a Mink from Polecat/Ferret.

How do you rule out a Mink?.

DJ Sideboard said:
I read some years back (10?) that Polecats had made it east to Oxfordshire and the Chilterns. Presumably the spread continues. I saw a Polecat or Polecat like Ferret at close range near Wareham in Dorset in the summer of 1999. As Andy says, they are rather common in SE Wales, when I stayed near Usk in the summer of 2000 they were one of the commonest mammal corpses on my local country lanes.

Fascinating thread. I just thought "Ferret" was the name for a dometicated Polecat. Shows what I know!

DJ Sideboard said:

I believe real Polecats have a longer head than ferrets. It's difficult (i.e. you need a confiding/dead animal and a ruler) but they can be told apart! The experts usually want a corpse to confirm identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back