• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books on natural history of Bulgaria or the Balkans? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Hi,

Will be going on a birding trip to Bulgaria in a few months. Was wondering if there are any books focusing on the natural history of the country or region that would be a good read beforehand. (I am NOT looking for bird finding information by the way; I am already familiar with all the resources in that regard). I ran across a DVD called "Wild Balkans.” But would prefer something in book form.

Have also checked tourist guides like the "Rough Guide to Bulgaria"; but they are only superficial when it comes to nature. (Also has some peculiar errors--twice boasting that birders should come to Bulgaria to sample some of its “seventy species of heron.”)

Jim

67 views and no responses. Guess I am not alone in being unable to find good info on this topic!

Incidentally, I did watch "Wild Balkans" (part of the "Nature" series) online. Helpful, though not the in depth info one gets from something in written form.

Thanks Mono. That's a good idea.

Jim

There is the excellent 'Atlas of Breeding Birds in Bulgaria'
(ISBN: 978-954-91421-7-4) with 674 pages of up-to-date information
(2007) Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds
www.bspb.org

There are also the Red Data Books.

Gerard Gorman's 2 books on Where to Watch Birds in Eastern Europe both give excellent information on sites.

Bulgaria is great for birding. Just drive off into the countryside and you will soon be amongst great wildlife - flowers, butterflies as well, of course.

I have been going 2-3 times a year since 2003.

Best

David

Thanks David. I am definitely looking forward to the trip. Those are good sources of bird info, though what I'm looking for at this point is a book that focuses on nature and geography generally, rather than mostly birds.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back