• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've upset my Nesting Sparrows! (1 Viewer)

Hi there, New to all this so hope you can help.
I am in the process of painting my desperately over due Facias and Soffits (I live in a Bungalow) and I have had to cut away some Ivy on a West wall to get to them. I have noticed that there are several nests in this Ivy and one is right up to the soffit. I have been very careful not to damage them but suspect that they are not happy with the new 'open plan' arrangement!!
I love my little sparrows in the garden and so want to help them re-build their homes before the cold weather arrives.

I am thinking of buying several nest boxes and fitting them on the wall below the facias and a couple on neighbouring trees etc, Any advice on this as I separately want to make it up to them!

Is there anything else I can do to help them.
Yours Hopefully
Gordon

Hi Gordon, you've timed it right to be doing to work as the Sparrows will (or certainly should) have finished nesting. Sparrows live and nest communally, you can get 'Sparrow boxes' which are mostly 3 compartments in one box. So long as there is still decent cover (nearby hedges etc) they should stick around!

Thankyou for that, One more coat of Gloss and I'm out of their way! I had no idea that you could get Sparrow next boxes but I have now ordered one from Amazon and it will be on the wall the weekend. What's the best place do you think? In the foliage or on a bit of clear wall and is there a specific height that works best. I'd love to rig up dome sort of camera in there if they used it!! Thanks for the help anyway.
Best Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back