• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whitburn Web Sight The One To Watch (1 Viewer)

rokermartin

Whitburn has a excellent web site now for local birders. I would certainly recomend it to any birder to put there sighting on for the Whitburn and South Tyne side area. It is very well run by a well liked local birder. The web site has alot of info on and it has all the local bird sites in south tyne on. It also has info on about other wildlife such as insects amd mammals.And info on different events which are taking place .The web site also has a excellent photo section and you can download monthly bullitens and a yearly report for Whitburn and south tyneside . I think the whitburn site will get better and better over the coming years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good web site, one I regularly keep a check on.

I have to say though my mainstay is still the Durham Bird Club site which covers the whole county.

IanF said:
Rather cutting Stewart! ;)

I actually prefer the Whitburn birding website run by Littlestintboy http://w.b.r.c.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

A shame he doesn't live south of the border ;)

The Gateshead site is one to envy as well http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk/

Totally agree except for the "Rather Cutting" this was not meant to be conveyed, aside from Littlestintboys excellent site what else am I missing??. Northumberland is a large and diverse county but we seem to be lacking in sites such as the forementioned and the excellent ones south of the Tyne. So apologies if I've caused offense.

Stewart

B :)

No problem Stewart - I was only kidding.

Personally I prefer a Darren's web site design and I only intended to bring attention to the other two. The 'rather cutting' comment was unwarranted |:(|

Likewise I also wish there were a few more similar ones in my area to the south and especially the west of County Durham. Teesmouth BC has a nicely presented site but it's seldom updated to any degree.

IanF said:
No problem Stewart - I was only kidding.

Personally I prefer a Darren's web site design and I only intended to bring attention to the other two. The 'rather cutting' comment was unwarranted |:(|

Likewise I also wish there were a few more similar ones in my area to the south and especially the west of County Durham. Teesmouth BC has a nicely presented site but it's seldom updated to any degree.

No offense taken Ian though LSTB might when he reads this thread and see's you've stolen St Marys Island and re-sited it in Whitburn?

Cheers and good birding, hope to be on the coast as far north as Hauxley tomorrow so fingers crossed something turns up?

Stewart

:bounce:

Lol!

I've corrected my 'slip' - trying to do too many things at once again ;)

Teesdale for me tomorrow and hopefully Swallow Pond on Monday :t:

Hi most the scarce birds and rarities have been found in the Whitburn area. It is an excellent area for YB and Pallass Warblers .We have had to Red eyed Vireos also Rustic Buntings , Isabelline Shrike ,R F Bluetail, and Pallid Swifts. And not to mention birds like Bluethroats, Red backed shrikes ,Rosefinches , and Icterine Warblers all good stuff and excellent seabirds By the way many birders go to lizard point to do there sea watching in stead of the bird hide. lizard point is higher put so you can get better views .the point is situated at the car park north of souter light house . You often see flocks of Little gulls at lizard point and there is often a SABS GULL with them.Seen Sabs for the last two years at lizard Point both juvs with Little gulls

Last edited by a moderator:
Stewart J. said:
No offense taken Ian though LSTB might when he reads this thread and see's you've stolen St Marys Island and re-sited it in Whitburn

Stewart

:bounce:

I knew he was up to something, Stuart , sneaking over the Tyne at every opportunity ;)

But im going to steal Bishop Middleham Quarry for revenge.

And i like the Whitburn site and check it regually :clap:

The Reiver

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug Ian :clap:
I had named mysite before I found out about the Whitburn site which I have a link to in my site (wonders if they will return the favour ;) )

I also check Whitburns site also Gateshead Birders site too... :bounce:

Thanks for the positive comments about the Whitburn website - I'll always welcome feedback or suggestions.
Apologies LittleStintBoy - just realised I'd not linked to your site. But consider it done! Keep up the good work!
Just to clarify a couple of points - the hide at Whitburn is always locked to protect it from vandals, but will almost certainly be manned on good seawatching days (including through the week). Any visiting birders are more than welcome to come in to shelter from the wind and rain and will receive a warm welcome from the local birders. Also Wood Stork maybe simplified Sabs Gulls at Whitburn a bit - they're not 'often' present; there's maybe 2-4 records a year after many long hours seawatching. Don't expect a quick visit to 'clean up' on the scarce seabirds - they're just as scarce at Whitburn as at any other east coast seawatch site.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back