• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stained glass window lost (1 Viewer)

Binastro

After 8 months the scaffolding is coming down from the building works opposite.
A lot of noise from early morning.
Those guys seem to have no fear high up.

Some other nearby sites have had similar scaffolding for years.

Revealed is a roof height about 8ft to 10ft higher than before.
My test object for 30 years has been the detailed stained glass and marbled glass large window, 120 metres away.
Multiple free artificial stars in sunshine.
The window is, I suppose, still there but I can't see it.

The three chimney stacks are still visible. Perches for crows, gulls and occasional other birds. Also the three loft windows.

I think that the superb Seeing will also have gone from the increased building volume and height. I could easily use 120x to 180x with a good scope.

I don't do much testing nowadays and just accept whatever happens.

I lost the 2 mile distant street and white building lights about ten years ago due to trees growing.

The night sky has vanished progressively over 50 years.
I have an award for my 30 years work on tackling light pollution. But in truth, things have just become impossibly bad.
There is hope, as France is passing legislation tackling nearly every aspect of light pollution.
Whether Britain will follow I don't know.
Politicians only stay in power by following the public's wishes. And the public are gormless.

As to all this development. Why so many people want to come and live in a messed up Britain, I don't know.

Regards,
B.

Sorry for you - you seem really not happy :eek!:

Maybe you could ask the owner of that building with the increased roof height which blocks your view to install a mirror oriented at the right angle on the roof so that you can see the glass window again ... ;)

All I need to see the beautiful stained glass window again is a 2 metre high periscope or vertical coelostat.
1/8 wave or better mirrors. 4 inch minor axes.
An alternative is too cut down our horse chestnut tree and use our other window.

At the moment two windows, front and side of the building allow a little of the stained glass window to be seen, as they line up with the stained glass window. so it is still there.
The first window has no glass at the moment.
The second window seems to have a protective plastic sheet covering the outside.
The distortion this plastic sheet provides is incredible.
With the Swift 8.5x44 looking through it a little like the crazy mirrors in a fun fair.
Even with a periscope, turning one home into four probably means ruined Seeing observing near the building.

The building looks unattractive.
It looks fake.
The tiles are far too large, probably for cost reasons.
It looks like a carbuncle.
It probably just scrapes through planning regulations.

But I would say that wouldn't I? :)

On the other side a prison block looking building was built a few years ago, totally obscuring Saturn and Jupiter. An eyesore.
The first thing they did was cut down a protected 200 year old large oak tree. Then two years of building work misery. Destroying our garages in the process.

At 90 degrees to this there are between 2 and 5 full moon strength 'security' lamps on another building.
Yet I saw a cat burglar put black pop socks over these as he tried to break in. So the lights were extinguished while he carried out his trade. I should have let him do this. But as a good citizen I scared him away at 2 a.m.

Next to this the adjacent building was expanded into several flats.

Because of breaking of planning regulations, several buildings nearby have been abandoned with full scaffolding around them. These have been there for several years.

Britain is somehow overtaken with madness lately.

So as I am too old to care any more, I just go with the flow.
If humans want to destroy their planet, so be it.

I really like the 16 year old Swedish girl. She knows her stuff, and speaks out. She does deserve the Nobel peace prize.
The problem is she is ten years too late.

Why so many people want to come and live in a messed up Britain, I don't know.

Key words: so many people

Sorry you're in a funk. I get like that too at times.

Added: re: funk
Here (US) it means a state of depression, in this context
There (UK) it apparently means something else, not intended

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,
Yes, I get upset as the world around shrinks.
But in a couple of days I will accept the world as it is.
There is nothing I can do about it.

I could have objected to the neighbour's development, but they are my friends, and they needed to do this.
It just looks so damn unattractive.
The fact that I don't have my test object any more also is not vital.
I could ask someone to go up on the roof 124 metres away and put some glitter balls there.
And I can use bright stars on clear nights.
But I knew instantly how good optics were by just viewing the fine detail on the window.

And I really don't need any more optics.
A slightly older friend says the world population has tripled since he was born. I haven't looked up these details, but this is pretty alarming.

I thought nothing as a youngster driving 100 miles to get a coffee. I would not do this now.
I drove almost 1000 miles a week, but that was my job.
The 1963 Mini Cooper S did 20 mpg British, less US. I drove it hard.
The 1972 Jag 14 mpg British, 4 mpg when first cold started. 12 mpg when I had to fit a new differential and I chose a low ratio one for £250 instead of the proper one for £750.
I did quite a bit of my own garage work.

I also flew 20 times a year, sometimes for work, sometimes not.

So I am guilty of polluting the planet, but we didn't realise that we were doing harm.
We do now.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Kevin, I understand American. :)

Unbelievable.
World population on one list.
2.58 billion 1951.
7.7 billion 2019.

Last edited:
2.58 billion 1951 year I was born. After reading Binastro's post I am really lucky where I live. Sorry that the view you had that made you happy is no longer very good! I had a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel driving to work about 36 miles for quite a few years, 46 MPG easily.

Last edited:
I recently took a train trip to a mid sized city (first time there since about 15 years ago) - wow what a shock ! :eek!:

Wall to wall people, vast swathes of ephemeral wetlands and woodlands torn down, filled in, and incise drained in between the cheek by jowl, one end to the other medium density housing estates and apartments along the way ....... so sad :-C

Why do people want to live this way ? A natureless Blade Runner dystopia was never my dream ......

A time machine seems the only answer ...... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks mooreorless.

This morning at 1 a.m. the sky cleared to give a lovely view of an almost half moon in a good position.
I took many photos easily with 40x optical zoom.

The moon provides a great test for binoculars.
Resolution, contrast, CA, flare, glare and ghosting.
It is also good for scopes.
The view with the Swift 8.5x44 HR/5 was not so good as it has flare etc.
A really good binocular shows earthshine, the dark part of the moon lit by the reflected light from the Earth, at 60% lit.
I wonder if a Noctivid or Nikon WX might show earthshine on a 70% lit moon?
However, the moon is only visible occasionally in a good position.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I realised that the stained glass window might be still visible from another window I hadn't previously considered.
It is, but only the top 4ft to 5ft cut off by the sloping new roof of the building opposite.
From memory the stained window is about 8ft high in total.
However, the angle from the other window is difficult and I would have to move furniture and discard curtains.
Also the Seeing won't be very good.

I just went out in sunshine and 1037 hPa, and I intend putting a few ball bearings in discreet locations across the road to give artificial stars for binoculars.
It is not far enough for scopes.

There are four buildings clad in scaffolding visible within 150 yards. All have been like this for over a year.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back