• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HG 8x42 Roof (1 Viewer)

boznia

Apologies to all concerned ( especially Nick-on who has done his very best to advise me wisely ) for posting again, its just i want to get my purchase correct. I am going to make sure i try first, but i want to know whether they are worth considering.

What are peoples experiences of these binoculars? I know they are heavier than a lot of mid priced roof prism bins, but they do have a much better field of view and i also hear they have a good depth of field.

Does the dioptre setting get nudged out of the way when focusing?

How do they perform in dull conditions?

boznia.

I think the RSPB HG 8x42 is a good value for money binocular.

The depth of field can differ betwen any individual using the same binocular. On the field of view, a standard 8x binocular will give a field of view of 120m@1000m.

I do not think that you will have any trouble with the dioptre adjustment. I know a person who owns a pair and he likes them, and he carries out binocular reviews for a leading UK birding magazine.

The roof prism has a mirrored surface, so they are limited in very low light conditions (dawn and dusk), however in poor light during the day, they should be o.k. I believe that they are manufactured by a Japanese company who also manufactures binoculars for other companies, and the brand name put on them by one of the UK distributors is also very popular in the UK.

Important: YOU TRY THEM AND MAKE THE DECISION.

Hi boznia

I havent tried these myself, but they did get a good review in this months Bird Watching mag, especially for the quality of the optics. 1 reviewer felt they were too bulky and awkward the other 2 felt they were the most natural to hold (out of 21 bins tested) which just goes to show its very much a personal thing. I would try them out, you have nothing to lose.

Paul

PS did you get to see the Buff-brested Sandpiper at the weekend?

i liked them, but then you already knew that (not sure about the advising wisely bit, I'll come over all shy and bashful). They are quite heavy though so if you are in the seven stone weakling category (no offence all you 7st weaklings) it could be a prob. I found them pretty sharp as well. Since they cost about £400 plus you are upping the stakes quite a bit I, before long you'll be lashing out on Swarovski's or something else that you'll have to take out a mortgage on.
PS don't forget to let everyone know what you get!

I think its between the Nikon Monarchs and the RSPB HG's. I have found a shop in Ipswich that sells both at about £20-£30 cheaper than everybody else, although they are in town so tests may not be so good.

At the mo, I am edging towards the HG's. I went out to Wicken Fen this weekend, and yes I did get the Buff Breasted Sandpiper and a Short Eared Owl, and the majority of people there were sporting Leicas and Swarovski's which have a similar weight to the RSPB HGs, and if all those 'pros' can put up with the weight then a 13stone six footer like me can. I also think field of view is probably more important for a casual birder like me who doesn't use his scope much.

I do hope that we have a grey saturday or sunday though ( sorry everyone ) so i can test them in poor light conditions.

If anyone has any comments on these bins, please let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back