• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I change a photo (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
If someone posts a better photo in the gallery, how do I delete the old one from the Opus page and replace it with the new one? I saw a post by Andy which said:

I'm afraid they need to be saved and re-uploaded to the opus section. It's not as slow a process as you'd think, once you get the hang of it. It does have the benefit of the image not being at the mercy of the gallery, i.e. like the red crosses we had in the old database when an image had been moved or changed in any way.

But he doesn't say how to save or where to save it to. And I can't see any instructions on how to delete the old image.

I've mastered the editing of information for the species, so would be pleased to be able to carry on with adding or replacing all the birds that Marmot has listed while the Database was closed.

Thanks!

Helen,
Rasmus posted the instructions for adding a bird in one of the Opus threads. I followed those instructions and added two of my photos which showed plumage / sex differences (but didn't delete the existing). Here's the thread:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=84546&highlight=opus

From the Opus, click "upload file" (toolbox on left side of screen). Follow the prompts and add file (remember or copy the file name you used). This will just give a standalone Opus page. Now go the species page where you want to add it and use the edit option and add the following:
[[Image: White-whiskered_Puffbird_female.jpg|thumb|350px|right|Photo by Dave B Smith<br />female]]

Of course, use the name of your new file that you want, not my Puffbird.
Good luck,

Thanks, Dave. With that extra info, I finally figured it out - I saved a copy of the image from the Gallery to my own hard drive, then uploaded to a new Opus page, then went to edit the original photo and clicked on "upload a new version of this file". I got a message asking if I was sure as the 2 file names were the same, but I went ahead, and it worked. When everything looked OK I deleted the image from my hard drive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back