• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best feeder and feed for woodpeckers? (1 Viewer)

I actually had to look this up because my suet blocks never last long enough to worry abt it going bad... but they say you can tell when suet goes bad because it will smell absolutely rancid! Typically around 2 weeks. :t: They advise that if your suet blocks don't last 2 weeks before going bad to put out quarter/half blocks and freeze the rest.

Maybe I need to make a change. My suet blocks still look brand new!

This morning I saw a Downy on the suet feeder; not sure if it was the first time for him, but it was the first time seeing him there. He was on it for maybe 10 seconds; took a few pecks, then went to the hulled sunflower seeds. If I don't see more action in the next week or so, I'll switch to peanut suet.

If its not in the sun, it could last for weeks here in the Dallas area. Once they find it, they will start going at it pretty quick. You wont have to throw any in the trash. If its "no melt" then you should be fine.

Like the previous poster said, start out by cutting smaller blocks, and put the rest in the fridge until needed. Suet blocks fit perfectly in sandwinch ziploc bags ;)

Good to know. At the rate I'm going, it's going to be outside for a looong time!

Good to know. At the rate I'm going, it's going to be outside for a looong time!

Where do you have it located? Is it hanging from a tree? When I first put out suet, I didnt think the birds would ever find it. but once they did, they became regulars. It's a waiting game. Seems to take longer for birds to warm up to suet, I'm not sure why. My first suet eater was a Red Bellied Woodpecker.

This is my peanut feeder today. I have mixed nuts, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans, and this feeder has a woodpecker on it everytime I look up it seems. This is the Squirrel Buster version, but you can pick up a plain one on the cheap. This is really what brings them to my yard. The Wrens, Carolina Chickadees, and the Titmouse, love this feeder too. The Titmouse is my favorite. Since your close to me I bet you'd have the same luck with one in your backyard buffet.

Attachments

• woodypeanut.jpg
    woodypeanut.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 41
Where do you have it located? Is it hanging from a tree? When I first put out suet, I didnt think the birds would ever find it. but once they did, they became regulars. It's a waiting game. Seems to take longer for birds to warm up to suet, I'm not sure why. My first suet eater was a Red Bellied Woodpecker.

It's now hanging from a shepherd's crook, about 5' off the ground, 3' or 4' from a large bur oak. I noticed that the downy would go back and forth between the sunflower seeds in the Squirrel Buster and the oak, so I moved the suet to a spot directly in between. Besides seeing him(?) earlier this morning, I saw him on the suet feeder again around noon, this time for longer.

So does your Squirrel Buster peanut feeder get more woodpecker action than suet?

It's now hanging from a shepherd's crook, about 5' off the ground, 3' or 4' from a large bur oak. I noticed that the downy would go back and forth between the sunflower seeds in the Squirrel Buster and the oak, so I moved the suet to a spot directly in between. Besides seeing him(?) earlier this morning, I saw him on the suet feeder again around noon, this time for longer.

So does your Squirrel Buster peanut feeder get more woodpecker action than suet?

Thats a good spot :t: I get way more woodpeckers on the peanut feeder than I do on the suet definately! This is the little buffet I make for them. The bigger chunks just split with a knife. They work really nice in the feeder. It's not expensive to feed either because these bags last a long time, if you keep them in the fridge. Shelled peanuts I get from Tractor Supply for $6 a bag, if you just wanna put peanuts in to start out with.

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 15
My local Great Spotted Woodpecker always goes to my Coconut feeder.

Ohhhh, he is a lovely little Woodie, isn't he?? I've never heard of or seen a coconut feeder! Do they absolutely LOVE it or do they just use it because it's there?

I saw a photo here on BF of a RBWO eating an orange, so I put an orange out for my birds and it went untouched for days. Eventually, I just tossed it.

Ohhhh, he is a lovely little Woodie, isn't he?? I've never heard of or seen a coconut feeder! Do they absolutely LOVE it or do they just use it because it's there?

I saw a photo here on BF of a RBWO eating an orange, so I put an orange out for my birds and it went untouched for days. Eventually, I just tossed it.

this is a female I actually made this feeder well actually I just ordered a sort of squirrel proof feeder cage becvause too many big bird ie Magpies kept scoffing it so made the decision to put the coconut in a cage so small birds can eat it. Occasionally get the odd big bird going for it but they don't get as much but I enjoy the woodpecker going for it.

Here is an idea for a wood pecker suet feeder that I once made. I don't have a picture but you'll get the idea. Take a tree limb about 2-3 inches in diameter and about 18 inches long. I used the trunk of a Christmas tree once the holiday was over. Using a 1 to 1.5 in wood bit, bore holes into the sides of the limb. Then add an eye hook to the top for hanging. Fill the holes with your choice of suit and you have a great wood pecker feeder. The peckers around my house loved it. You can make your own suet to fill the holes as I did back then, or now, they have suet plugs you can buy that work perfectly in feeders like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back