• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Site gen for a few species (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

I'm off to Sri Lanka next week for a few weeks, and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to help me out with some gen for the following species please?

- Pied thrush (I understand that the canal, specifically at the northern end in Victoria Park in N.E. is best?) any tips on time of day or places to view roosting birds much appreciated.
- Kashmir flycatcher (same as above?)
- Spot winged thrush (any locations near to N.E. or Sinharaja would be appreciated)
- Sri Lanka Scaly thrush (any gen gratefully received!)
- Indian pitta (apparently widespread, but any help with reliable sites etc much appreciated)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I think all the above are reasonably straightforward, three of them in Victoria Park ("behind the ladies' toilet block" frequently appearing in trip reports.
Everyone seems to get Spot-winged Thrush without problems (Sinharaja for example), and Sri Lanka Thrush is also there and the fact that guides are compulsory should mean it's not a big problem.

The one I'm struggling for up-to-date detailed gen for is the whistling-thrush.

Steve

I think all the above are reasonably straightforward, three of them in Victoria Park ("behind the ladies' toilet block" frequently appearing in trip reports.
Everyone seems to get Spot-winged Thrush without problems (Sinharaja for example), and Sri Lanka Thrush is also there and the fact that guides are compulsory should mean it's not a big problem.

The one I'm struggling for up-to-date detailed gen for is the whistling-thrush.

Steve

Also in Vic Park, try and find out if Grey-legged Crake is still being seen as it was when I was there, that was 07 but still worth being aware.

I saw both Thrushes and Flycatcher in the park.

Cheers both, the only location I'm aware of for whistling thrush is Horton Plains, though I believe there is now a regular site near to N.E. for this species - without a guide I think it will be a bit of a task to track down though. Booked for 1 full day + 2 half days (PM for arrival and AM before departure) at Sinharaja - hoping that Spot winged thrush will be my Christmas pressie this year! Are the guides that work out of the NP office any good or is it worth contacting a specific guide? I'd planned to spend time walking the forest edge between Blue magpie lodge and the HQ with the hope I'd bump into goodies along there...

Cheers both, the only location I'm aware of for whistling thrush is Horton Plains, though I believe there is now a regular site near to N.E. for this species - without a guide I think it will be a bit of a task to track down though. Booked for 1 full day + 2 half days (PM for arrival and AM before departure) at Sinharaja - hoping that Spot winged thrush will be my Christmas pressie this year! Are the guides that work out of the NP office any good or is it worth contacting a specific guide? I'd planned to spend time walking the forest edge between Blue magpie lodge and the HQ with the hope I'd bump into goodies along there...

I was taken to a site at a stream where you looked up a shrub tunnel but have no idea where the guide took me!

At the same site, feeding behind a small roadside fruit stall, was an easy to see Bush Warbler.

Best of luck, just returned from 2 weeks there. Great trip. Victoria Park is good for a number of birds. We failed to get Whistling-Thrush

Wondered if anyone has done the muthurajawela marsh boat trip? At a loose end for our last day in Negombo and thought this may be worth a try? I know Black bittern and black capped kingfisher are possible but more interested in watercock as that'd be a new bird. Had a great trip so far, thanks for the replies. A few teaser shots on my Twitter for any interested parties. Thanks in advance.

Wondered if anyone has done the muthurajawela marsh boat trip? At a loose end for our last day in Negombo and thought this may be worth a try? I know Black bittern and black capped kingfisher are possible

Apologies old thread. Did you ever get any answer to this question, Dan? I'm planning a trip in November and have no gen on black capped kingfisher (and have a spare morning before flying home).

Kind regards

Hi Denis, apologies, only just seen your reply. Unfortunately our last day and visit to Negombo lagoon was a bit of a disaster! The owner of our hotel offered to take us to the "dock" in order to get a catch a boat, unfortunately he decided that he couldn't be bothered to drive all the way to the southern shore, and deposited us at the main harbour in Negombo town. Our boat trip was pretty awful, usual tourist trap nonsense including a visit to "monkey island" thoroughly depressing and best avoided. There is a bit of info which may be useful here and here. Depending on free time, I'd probably look at a few hours somewhere like Labugama Kalatuwawa Forest Reserve (1.5hrs) or some time at Anawilundawa and wadering at Udappu (1.5hrs).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back