Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Site gen for a few species

Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 11:28   #1
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Site gen for a few species

I'm off to Sri Lanka next week for a few weeks, and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to help me out with some gen for the following species please?

- Pied thrush (I understand that the canal, specifically at the northern end in Victoria Park in N.E. is best?) any tips on time of day or places to view roosting birds much appreciated.
- Kashmir flycatcher (same as above?)
- Spot winged thrush (any locations near to N.E. or Sinharaja would be appreciated)
- Sri Lanka Scaly thrush (any gen gratefully received!)
- Indian pitta (apparently widespread, but any help with reliable sites etc much appreciated)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

@axbridge_birder
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 12:58   #2
Steve Keen

I think all the above are reasonably straightforward, three of them in Victoria Park ("behind the ladies' toilet block" frequently appearing in trip reports.
Everyone seems to get Spot-winged Thrush without problems (Sinharaja for example), and Sri Lanka Thrush is also there and the fact that guides are compulsory should mean it's not a big problem.

The one I'm struggling for up-to-date detailed gen for is the whistling-thrush.

Steve
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 13:13   #3
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Keen View Post
I think all the above are reasonably straightforward, three of them in Victoria Park ("behind the ladies' toilet block" frequently appearing in trip reports.
Everyone seems to get Spot-winged Thrush without problems (Sinharaja for example), and Sri Lanka Thrush is also there and the fact that guides are compulsory should mean it's not a big problem.

The one I'm struggling for up-to-date detailed gen for is the whistling-thrush.

Steve
Also in Vic Park, try and find out if Grey-legged Crake is still being seen as it was when I was there, that was 07 but still worth being aware.

I saw both Thrushes and Flycatcher in the park.
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 17:46   #4
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Cheers both, the only location I'm aware of for whistling thrush is Horton Plains, though I believe there is now a regular site near to N.E. for this species - without a guide I think it will be a bit of a task to track down though. Booked for 1 full day + 2 half days (PM for arrival and AM before departure) at Sinharaja - hoping that Spot winged thrush will be my Christmas pressie this year! Are the guides that work out of the NP office any good or is it worth contacting a specific guide? I'd planned to spend time walking the forest edge between Blue magpie lodge and the HQ with the hope I'd bump into goodies along there...

@axbridge_birder
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 19:32   #5
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
Cheers both, the only location I'm aware of for whistling thrush is Horton Plains, though I believe there is now a regular site near to N.E. for this species - without a guide I think it will be a bit of a task to track down though. Booked for 1 full day + 2 half days (PM for arrival and AM before departure) at Sinharaja - hoping that Spot winged thrush will be my Christmas pressie this year! Are the guides that work out of the NP office any good or is it worth contacting a specific guide? I'd planned to spend time walking the forest edge between Blue magpie lodge and the HQ with the hope I'd bump into goodies along there...
I was taken to a site at a stream where you looked up a shrub tunnel but have no idea where the guide took me!

At the same site, feeding behind a small roadside fruit stall, was an easy to see Bush Warbler.
Old Wednesday 12th December 2018, 10:46   #6
Rob Williams

Best of luck, just returned from 2 weeks there. Great trip. Victoria Park is good for a number of birds. We failed to get Whistling-Thrush
World: 1372 (latest Rufous-bellied Eagle)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: