Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ABA Big Year 2018

Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 15:30   #101
birdmeister

Looks like Nicole picked up Barnacle Goose in New York.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 15:23   #102
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmeister View Post
Looks like Nicole picked up Barnacle Goose in New York.
And then gone straight to Oregon for the Bean Goose.

Seems not to have picked up Smith's Longspur but the numbers are not adding up for me.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 22:12   #103
heynonny

There's also a "potential" McKay's Bunting in Oregon, not too far from the bean goose location.

Last edited by heynonny : Wednesday 28th November 2018 at 22:36.
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 02:45   #104
trptjoe

It's time for the updated sheets. Remember, eBird is off by one for the Deans (ABA) and for Nicole (AOU) because of Mexican Duck, which shows up on all three eBird lists. Nicole's is from Mexico and the Deans got it in Texas. Nicole still has the provisional House Crow.
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2018.xlsx (125.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2018ByCode.xlsx (617.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2018.xlsx (108.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2018ByCode.xlsx (590.6 KB, 13 views)
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 10:05   #105
heynonny

NK went San Diego county yesterday for Little Stint, which I didn't realize she hadn't gotten yet.
Old Sunday 2nd December 2018, 03:23   #106
trptjoe

One change to the 2016 Big Year: the Townsend's Storm-Petrel that John and Laura saw has now been accepted. Laura had already added it to her New ABA and Continental ABA lists, but John hadn't until now. It's on his Lower 48 list as we just put those together in the past few months. John's magic numbers are now 836 and 784. His Lower 48 list stays at 721. All the updated numbers are on the Wikipedia Big Year page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_year

Joe
Old Sunday 2nd December 2018, 11:03   #107
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Any of them been for this?

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370498
Old Monday 3rd December 2018, 09:52   #108
heynonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynonny View Post
NK went San Diego county yesterday for Little Stint, which I didn't realize she hadn't gotten yet.
I just realized that NK went for the Little Stint in San Diego for her US Lower 48 List.

She's back in southeast Arizona now.
Old Wednesday 5th December 2018, 02:24   #109
trptjoe

...where she picked up Nutting's Flycatcher.

Joe
Old Wednesday 5th December 2018, 04:16   #110
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptjoe View Post
...where she picked up Nutting's Flycatcher.

Joe
Heard only, just the wheep call twice from some grove. How really diagnostic is this call?

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 5th December 2018, 16:09   #111
heynonny

And now back to Texas, presumably for another try at hook-billed kite.

OT: just wondering if anyone else reading this forum went for the great black hawk in Portland Maine?
Old Wednesday 5th December 2018, 16:51   #112
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Heard only, just the wheep call twice from some grove. How really diagnostic is this call?
crikey, that is thin - a Myiarchus shouldn't be that hard to see surely?

cheers, a
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 01:02   #113
guy_incognito

That wheep call is actually pretty diagnostic. Looks like she was with an Arizona birder who would be very familiar with the call.

There is some pretty tough and impenetrable habitat out there, so not surprising it was heard only. It's not like the good old days when there was a Nutting's that would routinely show up for half an hour early in the morning and be seen next to the road. That bird would then disappear into the riparian habitat and not be seen for much or all of the day (sometimes would show again in the afternoon).
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 18:44   #114
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

With many flycatchers, I would prefer "heard only" to "seen only".

Some flycatchers are difficult, or impossible, to positively identify unless they are heard. Willow and Alder Flycatcher for example can't be separated by sight alone.

She got the Hook-billed Kite this morning in Texas.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50469918
Latest lifer: #367 Black-tailed Godwit
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #336 Barnacle Goose
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #299 Black-throated Gray Warbler
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 18:50   #115
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmepler View Post
With many flycatchers, I would prefer "heard only" to "seen only".

Some flycatchers are difficult, or impossible, to positively identify unless they are heard. Willow and Alder Flycatcher for example can't be separated by sight alone.
Hmmm ... some can, essentially. (Cornwall anyone? )

The idea of not seeing it and having it on a list is a slightly odd one to many this side of the pond I'd venture ... seeing it AND having it confirmed by call would be the default for adding a rare bird as opposed to just a call - but may be just a cultural UK birding thing (N Europe birders also count 'heard-onlys' more readily I believe)
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 20:11   #116
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Hmmm ... some can, essentially. (Cornwall anyone? )
I doubt the Cornish bird would have been accepted without being trapped and/or DNA but certainly the Norfolk one as a second was accepted as a photographed sight record.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 21:02   #117
Farnboro John

Ask blind birders if heard only is acceptable.... I think you have to separate the listing thing from birding. It would be unsatisfactory to me to put a heard-only on a life list, essentially because I am a visually motivated animal. If I had no sight it would definitely be a different matter! I think using hearing as the primary sensor is as valid as sight. Given that, it ought to be as valid for a sighted birder as a blind one: it just doesn't quite work for me. That's not even about culture, its my personal values.

I have no compunction in putting a calling bird on a year list because for the most part (if the ID is rock-solid) it doesn't offend my sense of listing a confirmed bird, and in a few instances of rare breeding birds such as Corncrake it has the potential to be a more ethical way of listing the bird than insisting on seeing it with possible attendant disturbance.

So far as normal birding is concerned I use my ears to identify or discard individual birds as objects of interest all the time. If it sounds like a Blue Tit I most likely won't stop to look at/for it.

John
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 21:08   #118
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
I doubt the Cornish bird would have been accepted without being trapped and/or DNA but certainly the Norfolk one as a second was accepted as a photographed sight record.
I was having it heading fairly well towards Alder myself on the day, going on my available field guides. Can't recall if the same concensus was being reached by proper birders at the time admittedly ... but I'm sure it was being mooted as an Alder as opposed to the others.

Part of the problem was we were also being told that American birders generally just lumped them as the one species as it was 'too difficult'. Maybe that sounds a bit of a cop-out, although perhaps easy to say, and depends on how well observed and what end of the range I guess - I'm sure the urge to spend a long time identifying one of two relatively common species not really there in the field in reality.

There would have been good photos too for that one, and well-observed.

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 6th December 2018 at 21:17.
Old Thursday 6th December 2018, 21:26   #119
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Ask blind birders if heard only is acceptable.... I think you have to separate the listing thing from birding. It would be unsatisfactory to me to put a heard-only on a life list, essentially because I am a visually motivated animal. If I had no sight it would definitely be a different matter! I think using hearing as the primary sensor is as valid as sight. Given that, it ought to be as valid for a sighted birder as a blind one: it just doesn't quite work for me. That's not even about culture, its my personal values.

I have no compunction in putting a calling bird on a year list because for the most part (if the ID is rock-solid) it doesn't offend my sense of listing a confirmed bird, and in a few instances of rare breeding birds such as Corncrake it has the potential to be a more ethical way of listing the bird than insisting on seeing it with possible attendant disturbance.

So far as normal birding is concerned I use my ears to identify or discard individual birds as objects of interest all the time. If it sounds like a Blue Tit I most likely won't stop to look at/for it.

John
Totally agree. In context though I would say if I was doing any kind of Big Year effort I would want to actually lay eyes on them for completeness. Others may differ of course. For day listing etc sound is equal to sight generally. Will almost always spend extra time trying to get the upgrade from sound to sight though.

Possibly back on topic a little, didn't one of the contestants last year (?) get a little bit of stick (on here?!) for getting Bicknell's Thrush on call only???
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 10:54   #120
heynonny

NK is back in Hawaii. I thought she might go to Oklahoma first, to try for Smith's Longspur. Maybe she's planning that for after she gets back.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 13:46   #121
trptjoe

Dan hit 700 for the Lower 48 with the Great Black Hawk. The most amazing thing is that there have been no airplanes involved. I dont know how hes done it...
I can't attach more than five attachments at a time, so here are the ABA Continental lists.
Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2018.xlsx (125.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2018ByCode.xlsx (617.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Sunday 9th December 2018 at 14:36.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 20:26   #122
trptjoe

...and the Lower 48 and New ABA lists. EDIT: I didn't have Hawaiian Duck on Nicole's list; I do now.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Lower48BigYears2018.xlsx (66.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: xlsx Lower48BigYears2018ByCode.xlsx (67.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2018.xlsx (109.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: xlsx NewABABigYears2018ByCode.xlsx (590.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Sunday 9th December 2018 at 23:37.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 20:46   #123
Paul Chapman

Joe

Many thanks as always.

Presumably, the remaining question is whether Nicole can get to second on the ABA list? Presumably simply not enough possibilities to get second on the Continental ABA list?

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 15:29   #124
trptjoe

Dan picked up Little Gull (#701), and Nicole added Northern Shrike for the Lower 48 (#701+1). They're closing in on Chris Hitt's 704. There are possibilities (Northwestern Crow for Nicole, for example), but the Lower 48 isn't her top priority and Dan needs to continue driving like a maniac. Of which he is fully capable, as we've seen!
Joe
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: