• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unglazed terra cotta for bird bath? (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

I'm getting ready to put out an unglazed terra cotta planter saucer, with water. Are there any issues regarding cleaning, or anything else, that I should be aware of?

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to put out an unglazed terra cotta planter saucer, with water. Are there any issues regarding cleaning, or anything else, that I should be aware of?

Leaking, in my experience. An unglazed terra cotta saucer I bought for a similar purpose some years ago proved useless since it only held water for an hour or two.

Last edited:
I have a friend that does birding with me, she saw mine, made her one, sealed it up, and it's already crumbled and fallen to a million pieces and long gone. Just let it breath, it will last a long time ;)

Does anyone know where I might find some sort of a ring with short legs - cast iron maybe - that such a tray/saucer would fit in and stand a few inches above the ground? I want to put the saucer with water on the lawn, but don't want it to kill the grass.

Thanks again

I would think one of the garden centers in Plano would have something.

Look on Home Depot website, and search "metal plant stand" and you will see several. The $10.98 would be good for that purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back