• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBW-BirdLife Version 3.0 (November 2018) (1 Viewer)

Species added:

Hydrobates cheimomnestes
Hydrobates jabejabe
Hydrobates socorroensis
Nesophlox lyrura
Puffinus myrtae

Species deleted:

Larus thayeri

Changes of scientific name:

Cacicus vitellinus / Cacicus flavicrissus
Calliphlox evelynae / Nesophlox evelynae
Phalacrocorax aristotelis / Gulosus aristotelis
Phalacrocorax atriceps / Leucocarbo atriceps
Phalacrocorax auritus / Nannopterum auritus
Phalacrocorax bougainvilliorum / Leucocarbo bougainvilliorum
Phalacrocorax brasilianus / Nannopterum brasilianus
Phalacrocorax campbelli / Leucocarbo campbelli
Phalacrocorax carunculatus / Leucocarbo carunculatus
Phalacrocorax colensoi / Leucocarbo colensoi
Phalacrocorax gaimardi / Poikilocarbo gaimardi
Phalacrocorax harrisi / Nannopterum harrisi
Phalacrocorax chalconotus / Leucocarbo chalconotus
Phalacrocorax magellanicus / Leucocarbo magellanicus
Phalacrocorax onslowi / Leucocarbo onslowi
Phalacrocorax pelagicus / Urile pelagicus
Phalacrocorax penicillatus / Urile penicillatus
Phalacrocorax ranfurlyi / Leucocarbo ranfurlyi
Phalacrocorax urile / Urile urile
Phalacrocorax verrucosus / Leucocarbo verrucosus
Procelsterna albivitta / Anous albivittus
Procelsterna cerulea / Anous ceruleus

Of course, I use Anser cygnoides instead of Anser cygnoid because cygnoid doesn't mean anything. In cases like this, when names doesn't make sense, we don't care about the original spelling rule, no?

Honestly, replace this sh*t by cygnoides please, a real Latin word, cygnoid is an abomination (like my command of English :p)

Last edited:
Of course, I use Anser cygnoides instead of Anser cygnoid because cygnoid doesn't mean anything. In cases like this, when names doesn't make sense, we don't care about the original spelling rule, no?

Honestly, replace this sh*t by cygnoides please, a real Latin word, cygnoid is an abomination (like my command of English :p)

I'm sure it's just a typo and probably not the only one. ;)

If you look at the protologue, it's not "Cygnoid", it is "Cygnoid." (with a fullstop), i.e., an abbreviation. I'd be sure it was intended to be spelled out in full, if there'd been more space on the page.

If you look at the protologue, it's not "Cygnoid", it is "Cygnoid." (with a fullstop), i.e., an abbreviation. I'd be sure it was intended to be spelled out in full, if there'd been more space on the page.
This is a known issue. All specific names in Linnaeus 1758 ([here]) end in a full stop, thus this cannot be treated as a hard indication of an abbreviation. The name here was presumably written in a abbreviated form which should have been expanded, but was not. Or the name was abbreviated because the text it corresponded to was a single line, and having a two-line name in the margin matching a single-line description in the main text was regarded as a problem. In 1761 ([Fauna Suecica, editio altera]) and 1766 ([Systema Naturae, editio 12ma]), Linnaeus indeed wrote it "cygnoides".

The correction has generally been accepted, and should thus, in principle, stand.

(It's not an isolated case. There are other names that were obvious, but not fully demonstrable abbreviations by Linnaeus, which were completed by most subsequent authors, but abbreviated again recently. E.g., [Lanius] leucoryn., [Psittacus] haematod. and (Psittacus) mascarin. [here].)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back