• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Self-Published Photo Book (1 Viewer)

The ornithologist is not so good at writing in English and has asked me to edit his Foreword.

He has used the word 'passerine' a couple of times. I had to look it up. Is this a widely used word please or should I change it to small birds? He is referring to the kestrel's diet which takes advantage of the small birds migrating through Egypt.
Hi Georgina

"Passerines" refers to many species of perching birds with a specific arrangement of toes - even allowing them to sleep securely perched. I think it would be fine (target the wording to your audience - you might need to include some definitions or a glossary). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passerine

I can't think of any small birds that are not Passerines .......

Chosun :gh:

I can't think of any small birds that are not Passerines .......

Humming birds, swifts.... to name but two off the top of my head LOL

Humming birds, swifts.... to name but two off the top of my head LOL
Thanks Delia, I knew a 'proper' birdwatcher would be along soon with the right info :t:

I had read something (obviously incorrect) about Swifts, Swallows, and Martins being non-passerines, but then I thought hang on - the Welcome Swallows we had nesting at home were often perched on the clothesline, or fence wire (usually a pair side by side whispering their sweet nothings into each other's ears). o:)

I have seen White-throated Needletails (Swifts) way way up high, but never close enough to be able to see their feet. Remarkable birds, apparently they can do everything bar lay an egg on the wing ! Live, drink, sleep etc !
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/readouts/rspb-spotlight-swifts-and-swallows-2/

Swallows and martins are passeriformes. Swifts and hummingbirds are caprimulgiformes along with frogmouths and nightjars etc (still trying to work out the relationship there LOL)

It's a good job the young kestrels have flown the nest. They are installing new 'tamr henna' shades over the balconies of the hotel next door and hauling them up the wall with a rope.

Nest and new tamr henna.jpg

And the good news is the second proof copy of my book has arrived at my brother's house in the UK. He will send it to someone who is flying to Cairo on 21st, and they will then be coming to their apartment in El Gouna by the end of the month. The problems caused as Blurb do not ship to Egypt!

I like the cover judging by a photo my brother sent! Horus indeed! I have made the title text larger.

July cover.jpg

In parts of America, they have solved the dilemma of how to spell 'banana'

They just call it ....... "Yellow curved fruit" :eek!: :-O :eat: ;) 3:)

Just thinking.....

.... is Mississippi easier to spell than banana then?

Just thinking.....

.... is Mississippi easier to spell than banana then?

Delia :) lol - What on earth sort of a fruit or vegetable is that then :-O ?!? :eek!: :h?: 3:)

[EDIT] P.S. I believe it's a lot easier to count than it is to spell ;) :-O

Last edited:
So is the kestrel nest right above the shade that is being pulled up?

I take it you selected option 3 for the cover, then? Looks good to me.

Yes, here is a little video clip to show how far away the nest is from my balcony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5XG7t5Zo8

To emphasize that I am not disturbing the nest each year by taking photos as I live opposite it! But that I have a rare insight into their lives from dawn to dusk everyday.

I chose option 1, so far :-O

Let's see how it looks when the proof copy arrives :eek!:

Thank you for inquiring about progress on the book Dear Delia.

Using Blurb is fantastic to create a high quality photo book, but the finished price is super high, and they don't deliver to Egypt. Their service of adding the book on Amazon adds another 15% on the cost, and delivery to Egypt via Blurb/Amazon is USD 45.99 !!!

I have now contacted a University Press in Cairo for help. Their students did a webcam study of kestrels nesting in the campus. They claimed it was the only study of kestrels in Africa:
https://www.aucegypt.edu/news/stories/auc-team-first-africa-observe-kestrel-falcon-breeding

The books they produce are sold online worldwide.

Maybe they will be interested!?!? It is the weekend here now in Egypt so hopefully I will hear back soon.

Meanwhile, I did a little video to show how the last proof copy is looking :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBDTJA1X_Vs&t=3s

Well done getting it so far along Georgina.

Good luck, though, with finalising it all.

Update

So just an update on this self-publishing journey.

I waited a month for a response from the University Press, and unfortunately they could not see a way to successfully publish my book at this time. Another bookstore and printers in Egypt did not reply.

So still the dilemma was how to get the already high priced print on demand books produced with Blurb from printing in Netherlands to Egypt!

The last resort was to email the founder of our town, El Gouna. (30 years ago he and his friends were searching for a place to build villas and moor their yachts........) He is always jetting in and out of Egypt, London, and Switzerland.

He replied the next morning putting me in touch with one of his personal assistants and saying he would purchase 10 copies for me to test the market!! They are currently being printed and then will be shipped to London and he will arrange for them to be flown here!

There is a little Egyptian crafts shop close to where I live that has agreed to stock some copies too. She is going to Belgium and will bring some back with her.

I will use the ten copies to talk to the big hotels here, and also send to Cairo, to gauge the interest.

I am still enjoying the process and challenge immensely. I love being creative with Facebook posts and designing business cards.

Facebook 7 small version.jpg

A preview of the book can be seen on the Blurb link on my website below.

Now back to the migration......

Excellent Georgina.

You really have done so well lassie. I hope it continues.

Thank you Laurie and Delia.

I took down one of the proof copies to the craft shop in the hotel next door to put in their cabinet. It didn't even make it, a couple of guests insisted on buying it. They even wanted me to sign the book.

I am wondering if I should concentrate on this hotel first. As the nest is in their building, arrange a little book signing event at my friend's shop with the 5 books she brings back from Belgium, and the 10 books arriving from London.

Many of the guests have gold bands on their wrists which means they come back again and again, so will have a passion for the place.

My friend lives on the ground floor under me. Her husband was absolutely amazed at the photos, and that all this prey is caught around our homes!!

September Update:

The ten copies have arrived by private jet into El Gouna Airport, and are currently on a private motor yacht! I will receive a call when I can collect them when they are on dry land.

My friend who owns the little gift shop in the hotel next door has just brought back some copies from Belgium too, so we have the first book signing event planned for Wednesday evening!!!!

This event will be exclusively for the guests of the hotel, to test the market.

Super excited, and I have designed posters in English, Dutch, and German to promote awareness in the hotel for the event.

I will let you know how it goes!!

Glad I managed to arrange it before the El Gouna Film Festival starts on 19th. The town is buzzing and I have 17 movies lined up to watch over the week!! Not sure who the biggest stars are this year who will visit.

Meanwhile, the kestrels are sharpening their quill pens in anticipation of their big night!! With all this creativity with the film festival, I played around combining a sequence shot of the kestrel female in flight:

Kestrel sequence.jpg

Update December 2019:

Well it has been an enjoyable journey, learning along the way. I will share my experience of the process of self-publishing so far.

Stock

It was actually a great help with the gift of ten books to test the market, and to get the books to Egypt. I have placed books in various outlets in El Gouna and Hurghada. The cost of buying these books to always have them on display would have been very high.

VAT

In the UK there is zero VAT on orders of books. Around the world VAT on books varies i.e. 6% Belgium, 8% Germany, 25% Denmark. Something I had to consider when friends offer to bring books back to Egypt for me.

Easy Jet
I returned to the UK in October and brought back 20 books. The cost of the suitcase, luggage costs in the hold of the aircraft, and import duty on books if they search your suitcase when you land have to be considered. 5% duty for Egypt, and I didn't want to take an empty suitcase in the hold on the journey to the UK.

Blurb
I have loved dealing with Blurb. And the quality of the books is 100% on every order. The books are print on demand, so if one person wants one copy it is printed and delivered usually within ten days.

They sell the books online in their store, but I only got a few sales from my own marketing with the link.

Amazon
I didn't share the book via Blurb onto Amazon as this would have increased the price by 15% on both sites. I did however post the eBook version on Amazon but have received zero sales.

Book Signing
This is the most popular way of selling the books. Everyone would like a signed copy and really appreciate the extra words of a personal message written with the signature.

Hotel next door
This is where the kestrels live but very few sales at the book signings. They are not buying anything. Sadly my friend is already considering closing her beautiful Egyptian crafts gift shop. All-inclusive guests (average age 60) are rarely supporting any of the shops in the hotel parade.

Marketing
At least the book signing events have kept the awareness going on social media, even if I only sold one copy of the book.

Website and Facebook
I created a website and Facebook page. The website is good for an immediate summary of the book and launch pad to buy online. Facebook is good to keep updated with the news about the kestrels outside my window, and advertise the book signing events.

So, in summary, I have sold 42 copies of the book in total which I am absolutely thrilled about. I still have some stock here in Egypt which, two more books and I will actually break even. Each time I get to that position, I need to invest hundreds of pounds in more books but with this stock I should see a profit at last.

I have loved the journey, and the comments from those who did purchase the book have been just wonderful.

And in case anyone is in El Gouna for Christmas, you can find me on 20th at the next Christmas Bazaar in the marina:

Christmas Cheeky Monkeys Flyer.jpg

Gosh! What an interesting journey Georgina, thanks for taking us on it with you.

Good luck with at least the next two sales, and many more of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back