• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof Jackets - Keela vs Paramo etc (1 Viewer)

Ad1

I am looking at upgrading my waterproof gear and am looking for people's views on Keela vs Paramo. I would be keen to hear peoples experiences.

With regard to Paramo I am particularly interested in Paramo Halcon vs Parajo and Velez Adventure Light Smock (especially with regard to length compared to the previous two). Particularly interested in views on Thermal performance under milder conditions.

I bird with a socpac so any views on rubbing etc would be useful.

Any alternatives would also be most appreciated.

Just trying to narrow it down before trying a few.

Many thanks

Adam

Can't speak for paramo but keels salopettes for skiing.

The quality is great and they have been hard wearing.

As with equipment like this the important thing is the breathability. If you are wearing for rain then really need a minimum 'waterproof' factor of 20,000. The more impermeable the less breathability. The rest is down to design and personal choice of colours numbers of pockets etc.

Generally for waterproof trousers I use golf equipment. Mine are Sutherland and i paid in the region of 40 pounds.

I have a Keela Kandura jacket, which I bought for around £110 from an independent outdoors store a few years ago.

It's a terrific jacket, lengthy enough to cover your thighs. The hood is large enough to keep rain away from your face. I like the two large zipped lower pockets, which are large enough to carry a fieldguide and/or notepad.

It's breathable and I've been caught in torrential downpours a few times without any water ingress.

My coat is grey and black. Some colours are now discontinued.

Recommended!

I've got an old Keela jacket (bought in 1998) that worked fine for a few years but subsequently the waterproofing stopped working - despite re-proofing it several times with the recommended wash-in liquid.

Now it's a fair weather gardening jacket.

I'm not sure if they've changed the proofing materials since - and was quite impressed by some of the testimonials on their website recently.

I use a Keela Munro for doing upland bird survey work in the Highlands in winter. Been out in atrocious conditions for five or six hours at a time and still kept dry....pretty good jacket for the price I'd say.

I use Paramo here on Dartmoor in often truly appalling conditions, anyone who spends time in upland areas will know what I mean, you just don`t get these conditions at more modest elevations, Paramo has several advantages, its almost silent, its easy to repair if damaged by thorns etc and easy to care for, also you don`t need to be using overtrousers, the trousers are waterproof, highly recommended by me.

With regard to Paramo I am particularly interested in Paramo Halcon vs Parajo and Velez Adventure Light Smock (especially with regard to length compared to the previous two). Particularly interested in views on Thermal performance under milder conditions.
Adam

All Paramo clothing is naturally warm and, unlike hardshells, you won't be needing to pile on jumpers underneath.
However it is so breathable that on a mild day you aren't going to be soaked in sweat.
At the moment I'm using a Halcon which is geared towards birdwatchers rather than mountaineers as their other gear is - lots of pockets, good length, comfy fit - I like it a lot.

Velez smock - very much geared to hills & mountains with a pack on - short & close fitting - being a smock you have less ventilation - I have one but don't use it a lot and would not sit in the cold birdwatching with it as it doesn't keep hips or thighs warm - much for for an activity like walking.

Pajaro is the Halcon without the pit zips - scrub that - it's just got less pockets.

I get my stuff from Whalley Warm & Dry who are doing the Halcon for £270.
They also have a Cascada for £180 which is exactly as waterproof and warm as a Halcon but has 3 pockets - I wear one to work.

I also have Cascada trousers which are fantastic - with that setup you are set to cope with mostly anything and stay warm 'n dry - if the sun does come out you can open the coat and the trousers have side vent zips.

Next best thing about Paramo is it's so soft and comfy plus it's going to last forever.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back