• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new tripod. (1 Viewer)

jkingrph

I have been researching tripods the last few days, really wanting a quality unit with a geared center column, and found all to be rather pricy. I got lucky today and found a Manfrotto MT057C3-G Carbon Fiber Tripod at EuroOptic.com for $650 US. Most places including eBay show them in the mid $800 range, so did pretty good there. My first tripod I bought in a USAF bx in Izmir Turkey back in 1972 was a rather lightly made, cheap unit, but has served me well. I used it mostly for photography, and with a cable release on my old Pentax Spotmatic made good pictures. I am using a larger spotting scope now and it just does not seem solid enough, It had a geared column and I just got to liking it for ease of elevation adjustment, so now with this one on order it looks like the wait is over. I am planning on either a Manfrotto 500 fluid head or a 405 geared head, possibly both. I will definetly like the geared head when out target shooting, other things i think the fluid head will work fine. I am using a stout dovetail slider that can screw to the quick change plates on the tripod and use my scope on different type tripods or sometimes a clamp on bench stand that i have.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it will be solid. I have a 190 and with the column raised it tends to wobble a bit with my Kowa TSN82 scope.

My 57c3-g carbon came in today. This thing is massive compared to the 190g, and feels much more solid. I picked both up at the same time and weight did not seem that different, but i suspect it would feel like much more if I had to carry it very far. In reality it will not be very far from the house or my truck so it could be 2-3 times as heavy and that would not concern me much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back