• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

It seems no matter how many times that point is made, the topic gets directed to the ultimate view point of view. **sigh**

I'll go a step further and reiterate what i've said several times before to say that once a certain optics level is attained, handling and ergos and je ne sais quoi count for more than absolute visual performance.

As long as these are held in our hands, looking at real moving subjects, I believe this is true. As in birding.

Tripods and other rests, stationary targets, and A-B testing to determine the most subtle differences, changes the equation.

OK just one more! THE definitive viewpoint on this thread:t:

www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

Last edited:
It seems no matter how many times that point is made, the topic gets directed to the ultimate view point of view. **sigh**

I'll go a step further and reiterate what i've said several times before to say that once a certain optics level is attained, handling and ergos and je ne sais quoi count for more than absolute visual performance.

As long as these are held in our hands, looking at real moving subjects, I believe this is true.
As in birding.

Tripods and other rests, stationary targets, and A-B testing to determine the most subtle differences, changes the equation.

Kevin,

Your aphorism squeezed so much wisdom into so few words that it would have tickled my Uncle Tonoose's uvula pink (it was normally white, bad case of thrush).

In fact, I liked it so much, I replaced Pulitzer Prize-winning Louis Menand's quote with yours in my signature so that others can enjoy reading it beyond this thread.

Though I would consider changing the last sentence fragment from, "I believe this is true" to "I hold these truths to be self-evident". Or has that been done? :)

Great job!

Uncle Tonoose's nephew

Last edited:
Red Trinovid 8x32 BN for sale.
I spotted a red one over on Archery Talk, picture looks nice, as well as the price.

I have no connection with seller, only wanting to help a Leica lover find a special
model.

Hi Elvis

I own the 8x32BN and I bit the bullet and paid £565 secondhand (1 previous owner fully boxed near mint with Leica neoprene strap and original strap unused all paperwork original receipt etc ), I would pay that again as I love them and to me they represent a real quality top quality product & the view never fails to please me, its just so very natural. The rainguards work a treat and are very natural to use and the focusing is effortless and very precise. The mechanics & design are just superb and the size is very practical for all day use and in the car etc (The Leica Trinovid do not come with objective covers......but......TIP.... the rubber covers for the Swarovski SLC 8x30 fit the Leica 8x32 & 10x32 BN perfectly & are only a few £ !! !!)

I have also owned the Trinovid 10x32BN which I bought new for £699 from Ace Optics afew years ago (only because I could not find a new 8x32BN at the time). The 10x32BN were also superb but 10x was just not for me so I sold them on MINT for £550 odd if I recall (the guy who bought them got back to me & said he had just bought a new Leica ultravid 10x32 and he could see no difference to the Trinovids I sold him so he sent hid Ultravids back and saved himself a fortune.!!!!)

I have considered selling my 8x32BN to upgrade to the Zeiss FL 8x32 but I cannot convince myself that they are worth another £700 odd on top of my Trinnies. I will most likely buy myself a secondhand Zeiss FL 8x32 & keep the Trinnies for the wife as I really don't want to part with them & then regret it (I regret selling the 10x32BNs) & I would like to compare them against the Zeiss when I eventuallly get them to see for myself if the new bins are overpriced.

I you do go for the 8x32BN (and I totally recommend them) I cannot see any reason why you would regret it, I think you would be very happy indeed. Try and get the seller down to £550 and your in business!!!

Hope this helps
Brendan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back