• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning for Nikon CP775 owners. (1 Viewer)

Johnny1

If like me you use a CP775 for digiscoping and an Opticron HR80 scope the Digital Telephotography Lens - 40929 D.T.L. specially made for digiscoping doesn't work with this camera. Vignetting is so bad you might as well have the lens cap on.

I could just about get one shot in 20 with this camera on my Kowa TSN3 and a 30x WW eye peice - vignetting is a problem but I found focusing easier than I am using the CP4500 on the same scope. Just got to get out there and practise more I suppose.

Bad luck, John. I hope Opticron will take it back. A knowledgable digiscoping friend of mine always said the cp775 wasn't much cop for digiscoping....though several (including John) have proved that it's capable with practice.
Doug: I used to have 30xww and 20-60x with the Kowa TSN4... I found the 20-60x more digiscoping friendly, if not for general scope use.

I am about to buy the wife the new 65HD from Saworski (SPelling - can never get it right!!). Hope fully, once that's paid for I can treat myself to the 80HD Savworski, Svworski - whatever - I would love to try a 20-60x zoom to see just how good they are - I like powerful optics, even if it means lugging more weight around. Nothing frustrates me more than a bird being a tiny dot in the lens - I have enough trouble with identification - I need all the detail I can get.

The 775 is certainly not recommended for diiscoping - I had to use it for a while as it was the camera I had before I heard of digiscoping - but if you are stuck with one you can, with practise, get some decent shots handheld to the eyepiece. Make sure you are fully zoomed in on the optical zoom.

Andy I've decided to keep the lens and hopefully in the not too distant future buy a new camera to replace the 775, I've tried everything possible to get sharp pics with it, I upgraded my scope from a 60mm to 80mm (Opticron), I've found the best combination is my opticron zoom lens with my 60mm Spacemaster but the quality of the pics is still not up to scratch the fact that it only has 2mill. pixels doesn't help. Anyway I'll make do till i can afford a new camera... then be prepared to be bombarded with questions.

I tried EagleEye's digiscoping eyepiece recently.... it's a very odd experience looking through it and seeing such a huge field of view with the lowish mag. It's not easy to get high resolution images with a low mag. Is the Opticron adjustable for eye-relief like the EagleEye one?
Andy

No Andy it's non adjustable, it doesn't have a rubber eye-cup. The camera lens fits right up to the eyepiece lens. I'll take a pic with it and post it here later, just to demonstrate how bad it is.

Here's the pic taken with the CP775 and the Opticron DTL, this was taken without useing the cameras zoom, if I use the zoom the vignetting still occupies about half the pic.

Attachments

• cp775&dtl#001.jpg
    cp775&dtl#001.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 252
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back