• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica ultravid 8x20 or 10x25 (1 Viewer)

Hi Dennis,

You're right about always discovering something new. I didn't even consider 6.5x mag to be interesting at all, but it was a coincidence of circumstances that led to the Papilio's. First of all, I strained a muscle in my shoulder after a long day with the Canon 18x50 IS's. I had trouble lifting my right arm and got me a video breast rest support arm to use with my 18x50's. The 18x50's with tripod socket went on without problems, but the sheer weight of the Canons made the whole contraption awkward to use, and besides that, the stabilization didn't work as well than without the support.
So I went looking for a lightweight bin with a tripod socket underneath, to put onto the video support arm, and from memory the Pentax Papilio seemed the logical choice.
I went for the 8.5x21, but the store had only the 6.5x21 in stock. When I tried them, I was amazed how good they were. It was everything done just right, and 900 grams less than my 18x50 Canons, purchase was a no-brainer.

I use them at all distances. The only shortcoming in really long distance viewing is the magnification; 6.5x has its limits, but the bins are so sharp and easy to hold steady, that it is a pleasure to hold them up and simply gaze for minutes until I can feel my shoulder muscle protesting. I then put them on the video support arm and can hold them effortlessly with only my left hand. The focus knob is buttery smooth and though not very large, it is placed just right, sticking out a bit.
The one thing that is absolutely fantastic is, that I can bring them to my eyes in a split second on a flying bird. Even fast birds are no problem, it's amazing how less weight lets you get spot on on birds that I usually missed with my bigger bins.

Waterproof reverse porro's do exist, I can think of the Binolyt Rock 8x27, which is completely waterproof, but weighing 450 grams. I don't know if these are still being made, or discontinued. The Pentax 8x25 UCF WP and 10x25 UCF WP are JISS-level 6 waterproof, being submersible to 1 m for 5 minutes. These models are equipped with tripod sockets underneath, just like the Pentax Papilios.

I know of no 8x30 fully waterproof reverse porro's. I once tried ( some fifteen years ago) a Binolyt MC 8x30 reverse porro, which was very nice to hold but also had a noticeably soft image.

I think my big 18x50's will see little use in the future. After discovering the staggering amount of CA in the stabilized mode, I can only think of putting them on a tripod for further use without batteries. I just don't feel like lugging them around with a tripod as well. Maybe I'll opt for another scope in the future. Seeing how well inexpensive reverse porro's can perform, leaves me doubtful if I ever want to splash out on full-sized bins. I already am in the proces of selling my second-hand Zeiss Dialyts 10x40 BT*'s. The Papilio's are way easier to use, with the same level of satisfaction.
Even 710 grams for a full-sized bin can be a pain after hours in the field.

Best regards,

Ronald

After much consideration I just ordered the Leica 8x32 HD after trying them out instore. The 8x20 Ultravids were just too 'dinky'.
Many thanks for your good advice!

After much consideration I just ordered the Leica 8x32 HD after trying them out instore. The 8x20 Ultravids were just too 'dinky'.

Jake, congratulations, you just made a really fine decision.
I have several so called 'alpha' binoculars and I have to say that for their size and weight the Leica 8x32 HD are among the very best.

If I only had one pair of binoculars I would have an Alpha 32mm. I have the 8.5x42mm Swarovisions so these little compacts are just for concerts and hiking and that sort of thing.

Jake,

Though I've never looked through the 8x32 Ultravid, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. I've owned Leica Trinovid 10x32's before and they were wonderful, only the 10x mag turned out to be too much. The Ultravids 8x32's have my interest too, now, since I've rediscovered the pleasure of lightweight bins. Even with this little mass, less than 600 grams, my main concern would be to find me a binoharness so I wouldn't notice the weight at all. But that's me, after lugging around really heavy bins I'm now focusing on bins that I don't notice when I'm out birding. I'm certainly not going for full-sized bins anymore, I'd rather have a good 8x32 than a good 7x42.

Enjoy your Leica's!!

Best regards,

Ronald

Jake, congratulations, you just made a really fine decision.
I have several so called 'alpha' binoculars and I have to say that for their size and weight the Leica 8x32 HD are among the very best.

Hello Vivian,

I've read the reviews on Allbinos' website as well as Jan Meijerink's report on the Ultravid HD 8x32's, and I must say it's got me interested. Your testimonial is just what might get me looking at them. Thanks for your posts.

Best regards,

Ronald

Dennis,

What about the 8x56 FL's? Have you sold them?

Spring is in the air-regards,

Ronald

Yes. Although optically excellent I just couldn't take the weight of the big Zeiss's on my neck and back and I hated the harness because I tried it. I sold them for $1500.00(I paid $1275.00) and bought the Swarovision 8.5x42 from EuroOptics and got $200.00 off of retail so they were $2139.00 shipped overnight. EuroOptics is a great place to do business by the way. Best service I ever got buying binoculars. Overall the Swarovision's are the best binoculars I ever had. It seems like they left the competiton behind on this one.

Last edited:
Yes. Although optically excellent I just couldn't take the weight of the big Zeiss's on my neck and back and I hated the harness because I tried it. I sold them for $1500.00(I paid $1275.00) and bought the Swarovision 8.5x42 from EuroOptics and got $200.00 off of retail so they were $2139.00 shipped overnight. EuroOptics is a great place to do business by the way. Best service I ever got buying binoculars. Overall the Swarovision's are the best binoculars I ever had. It seems like they left the competiton behind on this one.

Dennis:

I guess this is getting a bit off topic, but I do remember the Nikon 8x30 EII,
the Zeiss 8x32 FL, the Canon IS, I did think that was a short termed fling !, the big Zeiss 8x56, all quality optics, and the best. :t:

Now tell us, an Austrian optic ?

Jerry

Dennis:

I guess this is getting a bit off topic, but I do remember the Nikon 8x30 EII,
the Zeiss 8x32 FL, the Canon IS, I did think that was a short termed fling !, the big Zeiss 8x56, all quality optics, and the best. :t:

Now tell us, an Austrian optic ?

Jerry

I think the Swarovision is going to hold my interest until Zeiss or Leica comes out with some new eyepieces. Swarovski kind of leap frogged over them with this one. Do you have the Swarovision?

Thanks.

Yes, I know about weight and harnesses, and I'm glad I've compacts now.
The Swarovisions and I have not yet met. I'd like to keep it that way.
I hope I can wait until next year.

Best regards,

Ronald

I think the Swarovision is going to hold my interest until Zeiss or Leica comes out with some new eyepieces. Swarovski kind of leap frogged over them with this one. Do you have the Swarovision?

Dennis:

Yes, I have the SV, 8.5, and I think I am fully satisfied with this fine optic, and I wonder how it can be improved on.
I was just playing fun with a review of some of your past favorites, and it
is a fine list, and the fun in the optics hobby. Tell me, have you kept any of the Canon IS, or have you gone back to the conventional?

Jerry

Dennis:

Yes, I have the SV, 8.5, and I think I am fully satisfied with this fine optic, and I wonder how it can be improved on.
I was just playing fun with a review of some of your past favorites, and it
is a fine list, and the fun in the optics hobby. Tell me, have you kept any of the Canon IS, or have you gone back to the conventional?

Jerry

Back to conventional. The artifacts got to me after awhile. That small amount of fluctuation in the view started bothering me. The SV 8.5 is my main and only binocular except for the little reverse porro's for my compacts now. The Olympus 8x25 and the 6.5x21 Papillio. Yes, I think it will be difficult to improve on the SV. I was looking at ducks out on a lake the other day and it was just amazing. I think in another year or two Zeiss or Leica will improve their eyepieces and probably topple Swarovski. There is always room for improvement. We will see.

Dennis,

In about a month you will have either the 10x50 EL or the 12x50 EL and the 8.5x will be sold.

Just a guess...

Kimmo

Dennis,

That is not a problem. You just sell the wimpy 8.5x like you did the Zeiss. I tried the 12x50 Swarovision yesterday, and let me tell you, once you see it you will say that it blows away the 8.5x42, hands down, no contest. And it weighs 20% less than the big Zeiss too, so your neck will not complain.

- K

I tried the 12x50 Swarovision yesterday, and let me tell you, once you see it you will say that it blows away the 8.5x42, hands down, no contest.

- K

Really, Kimmo? Is that what you thought yourself when you saw it? I'd love to get your opinions on it. Mind you, I'm not in the market for new bins.

Dennis,

That is not a problem. You just sell the wimpy 8.5x like you did the Zeiss. I tried the 12x50 Swarovision yesterday, and let me tell you, once you see it you will say that it blows away the 8.5x42, hands down, no contest. And it weighs 20% less than the big Zeiss too, so your neck will not complain.

- K

It sounds like your about ready to pull the trigger on that 12x50. Let me know how you like it maybe I will have to get me one.

Well,

I don't think I'll ever gonna take a look through whatever Swarovision.
I'm now just about as happy as can be with the 300 grams 6.5x21 Papilio's, which have a simply amazing image which reminds me of my former Leica 10x32 Trinovid, but with a wider FOV.

Swarovision 8.5x42: + 500 grams.
Swarovision 12x50 : + 700 grams.

I don't even think of getting me a midsized bin anymore. 300 grams is just about perfect for me. My backpain has gone and I'm glad I can spend more hours in the field carrying a bin that feels as if it isn't there.

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back