• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Bittern!!! (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

Yesterday, in the rice fields, I saw my first Bittern; a Pinnated Bittern (Botaurus pinnatus). As soon as I arrived, I noticed it standing in the field among the rice. Only its head was showing above the rice, but it wasn't hard to see. I watched it for a while and then went on. When I came back, I wasn't long before I found it again; almost in the same place. The Pinnated Bittern was my 200th lifer. I also saw a possible Azure Gallinule, but just briefly while it was flying.
Also seen were the normal herons and egrets coming into their roost, Snail Kites, a dark phase Long-winged Harrier, Wattled Jacanas, Limpkin, Common Ground-Dove, Smooth-billed Anis, Yellow-chinned Spinetails, Pied Water-Tyrants, Great Kiskadee, Tropical Kingbirds, many Barn Swallows flying over the fields, Tropical Mockingbird, Blue-black Grassquits, Yellow-hooded Blackbirds, Carib Grackles, and a Shiny Cowbird.

wow what a great days birding i can remember the first time that i saw my first bittern a magical experience but i think that mine was a lot harder to see about 1 hour standing in the hide

What's a Bittern?

Needless to say I'm still waiting for one - booming or visual.

Definitely this year though ;)

Well done on your Pinnated Bittern .

I have seen a Great Bittern (Botaurus stellaris) which thankfully is now increasing in numbers in the UK.

I can remember my first, and only so far, Bittern....4th September 2001 at Leighton Moss at about 2.45pm...only thing I can't remember is the name of the hide!!!
Neil and I were on our honeymoon in the Lake District and I'd already had a fab wedding pressie of my first Ospreys at Bassenthwaite on Sunday 2nd. So to get a Bittern too was fantastic!
Neil and I were in the hide and there were a couple of other birders with great big scopes and one had a digital camera (i only remember this because Neil was asking him all about how to do digiscoping!). I didn't have a scope at this point of my birding career but as I was scanning the water and edges I noticed something brown step out from the reeds and stand there preening itself. I was a bit puzzled at first but then it suddenly dawned on me what I might be looking at!!! My heart started pounding (always does with new birds) and I could hardly hold my bins steady and I was terrified to look away in case it disappeared! It seemed a lifetime before the other guys got onto it!!! Then I was able to look at it more clearly through a scope. It was just standing in the sunlight for a good half hour before stepping back into the reeds.
I've never seen one since but now that I can drive I'm adamant that I'm going to get across to Leighton Moss this spring to hear one booming!

GILL

Forgot to add...needless to say my wonderful-but-totally-non-birder (unless it's a Moorhen) of a husband couldn't understand WHY we were all so excited LOL Trying to explain that there were only about 12 or so booming males in the whole of the UK seemed to not get through!!! I GIVE UP!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Congrats Jacamar.

Interesting to hear that Bitterns cause as much excitement in South America as they do in Europe.

regards
James

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back