• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

83x anyone? The new Nikon P900 (2 Viewers)

Anyone know what the slowest shutter speed on the P900 is (for astronomy photos)?
Thanks.

No idea but I would suspect that its astronomy mode will actually be a series of short exposures that the camera stitches together like the big telescopes do. That's how the Canon handheld night shot works. It's the best way to avoid getting fuzzy blobs.

Last edited:
Well I had my day out yesterday only shooting with the P900, with the sx60hs as backup. Light was cloudy/dull all day unfortunately. I was shooting over about 4 hours ( stills and video) and ended up with about 22 gigs on the card. I had the camera on a tripod with VR switched off as I was shooting long sequences of video.
I was very happy with how the camera performed , especially for video at long distances. I was even able to read leg flags at 100 metres. I used the Digital Zoom too which goes out to 4,000 mm. I also switched on the AF-F (Continuous Focus) for some of the video and it seemed to track the feeding birds quite well.
Here is a few video clips
https://vimeo.com/124618602
The distances were from 25 - 300 metres. The first and last photo were at 2,000 mm
Neil
ps only used 1 and a bit battery too.
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China
10th April 2015

Attachments

• asian dowitchers flag DB MP P900 2,000mm DSCN1210.jpg
    asian dowitchers flag DB MP P900 2,000mm DSCN1210.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 503
  • grey herons spoonbills DB MP P900 1400mm DSCN1183.jpg
    grey herons spoonbills DB MP P900 1400mm DSCN1183.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 377
  • terek sandpiper DB MP P900 600mm DSCN1168.jpg
    terek sandpiper DB MP P900 600mm DSCN1168.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 413
  • curlew sand breed DB MP P900 1100mm DSCN1081.jpg
    curlew sand breed DB MP P900 1100mm DSCN1081.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 455
  • curlew sands breed feed DB MP P900 2,000 mm DSCN0971.jpg
    curlew sands breed feed DB MP P900 2,000 mm DSCN0971.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 475
But where did you put the lens cap when taking pictures? I think Nikon doesn't supply a strap for the lens cap to hang off the camera. :)

(Yes I'm dotting my "i" and crossing my "t"s for when they come back in stock.) For non Americans that means making sure I know the details.

Last edited:
But where did you put the lens cap when taking pictures? I think Nikon doesn't supply a strap for the lens cap to hang off the camera. :)

(Yes I'm dotting my "i" and crossing my "t"s for when they come back in stock.) For non Americans that means making sure I know the details.

In my pocket. No problem. I find the attached lens cap e.g. Canon SX60 a bit annoying as it gets caught up sometimes with my bins strap.
Neil.

Well I had my day out yesterday only shooting with the P900, with the sx60hs as backup. Light was cloudy/dull all day unfortunately. I was shooting over about 4 hours ( stills and video) and ended up with about 22 gigs on the card. I had the camera on a tripod with VR switched off as I was shooting long sequences of video.
I was very happy with how the camera performed , especially for video at long distances. I was even able to read leg flags at 100 metres. I used the Digital Zoom too which goes out to 4,000 mm. I also switched on the AF-F (Continuous Focus) for some of the video and it seemed to track the feeding birds quite well.
Here is a few video clips
https://vimeo.com/124618602
The distances were from 25 - 300 metres. The first and last photo were at 2,000 mm
Neil
ps only used 1 and a bit battery too.
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China
10th April 2015

WOW! This camera is simply spectacular on a tripod. What amazes me is that it's also capable of getting acceptable shots handheld.

Did you use a lens hood? Long distance shots are amazingly clear considering the conditions.

After a lot of searching, I found what appeared the last P900 in southeastern Pennsylvania this morning.... and promptly bought it! The battery is currently charging and I hope to get out later this afternoon to check it out. It's a bit windy here, and I still have to get an Arca-Swiss plate for it so I can use it with my tripods but I'll figure something out...

Chris

After a lot of searching, I found what appeared the last P900 in southeastern Pennsylvania this morning.... and promptly bought it! The battery is currently charging and I hope to get out later this afternoon to check it out. It's a bit windy here, and I still have to get an Arca-Swiss plate for it so I can use it with my tripods but I'll figure something out...

Chris

Cool! Looking forward to hearing what you think. Have fun!

I found one on Amazon, sold by some other outfit but Fulfilled by Amazon. It was $609. I was tempted but I think that I'll still wait for Amazon proper to have them in. I've seen April 12 at other places for expected supplies to come in.

By the way, what's the luck with non-Nikon batteries? I tried them once with the Canon and they pretty much sucked. Anyone know a Good brand for non-Nikon batteries?

I found one on Amazon, sold by some other outfit but Fulfilled by Amazon. It was $609. I was tempted but I think that I'll still wait for Amazon proper to have them in. I've seen April 12 at other places for expected supplies to come in.

By the way, what's the luck with non-Nikon batteries? I tried them once with the Canon and they pretty much sucked. Anyone know a Good brand for non-Nikon batteries?

I already had some "Power2000" batteries that my husband bought for the P600 and they seem to be fine, also a "PremiumTech" charger that's ok too.

For my SX50 I bought Pearstone batteries and was happy with them.

Can't read it, but if the pics are in the right colums then the 600 is better in pretty much all of them to my eyes

They don't appear to have the P610 available for comparison?
I have long considered the IQ on my hubby's P600 to be superior to that of my SX50, although a tad noisier. It's so slow though, I won't touch it for birds.
The newer version of the P600, the P610, is supposed to have the same AF speed, buffering speed and higher resolution EVF as the P900, but of course the zoom maxes out at 1440mm equivalent. That's actually longer than the SX60's (because it doesn't go as wide.) The glass is presumably the same as the P600, so it's IQ should be equivalent.

Some people (especially those who prioritize photo quality over reach) may well prefer the P610. But if you want 2000mm optical zoom, the P900's the only game in town right now.

Comparison of picture quality (lots of cameras can be chosen):

http://www.dkamera.de/testbericht/bildqualitaet/nikon-coolpix-p900/

Looking at this comparison again I noticed that one can change the ISO on each camera, but I don't see any way to change the focal length of 24mm. I have read that the wide end is NOT the P900's strength, so it's possible the two cameras are much closer in IQ at the focal lengths that matter most to birders.

I have both cameras but the forecast is for storms all week. If it ever clears up, I'll try to do a test at approx. 1400mm.

Well since I'm waiting for Amazon to get it in stock, I pre-ordered it just now.

EDIT: The Amazon order confirmation email says delivery between May 18 and June 6. I hope it doesn't take that long!

Last edited:
Pretty darn good!!

I went out shooting today at a local NWR with the P900, and all I'll say is that the camera is fabulous for what you get. I purposely did not try BIF with it, nor did I explore the myriad of settings options. I was quite pleased as to how the VR performed, as these were all handheld.

Chris

Attachments

• P900 test_02.jpg
    P900 test_02.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 445
  • P900 test_01.jpg
    P900 test_01.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 678
  • P900 test_03.jpg
    P900 test_03.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 374
I went out shooting today at a local NWR with the P900, and all I'll say is that the camera is fabulous for what you get. I purposely did not try BIF with it, nor did I explore the myriad of settings options. I was quite pleased as to how the VR performed, as these were all handheld.

Chris

Now you are just making me want my camera sooner. I hope Amazon get then sooner.

Chris

Fabulous first shots, glad you like it! Hope you'll post more as you get them.

We're mired in a weather system that's expected to dump on us for the next week, right when migrants are finally showing up...very frustrating.
Rain let up a little this afternoon, so a friend and I hit some mudflats, then a local urban forest, hoping for a mini-fallout, which we got. Had Cerulean, Hooded, Tennessee, Prothonotary, Chestnut-sided and Blue-winged Warblers, WE, RE and Yellow-throated Vireos, Scarlet and Summer Tanagers, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird , I. Buntings, B. Grosbeaks, Catbirds and probably a couple I've forgotten. Unfortunately, it was drizzling almost the whole time, so the P900 stayed under my raincoat, sigh.

In addition to making the P910 faster, Nikon needs to make it waterproof!!!

Well since I'm waiting for Amazon to get it in stock, I pre-ordered it just now.

EDIT: The Amazon order confirmation email says delivery between May 18 and June 6. I hope it doesn't take that long!

When I look at my account at Amazon though it says I will get it between April 17 and April 22. I have the feeling both are wrong and they really don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back