• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first shots with the ed80 pro. scope/refractor (1 Viewer)

j palmer

well ive had my skywatcher ed 80/600mm
for about 3weeks and i can honestley say it's a dream lens to use for both wildlife and astro photography.

as ive had my 350d mounted to the bigma (sigma 50-500mm) i soon found out the distance for birds to get a good print you needed to be about 1/2 the frame or more . so @10ft a blue tit better @8ft. and so on .

i new for those birds which are very hard to get close to 600mm to 1200mm or more was the answer
here are the first test shots and first field shots.

meadow pipit out in the field on the muck heep very happy with this as its one of the reasons i got the scope/lens 600mm x2 tc very cold morning 40d 1/500 iso 400 cropped a little for composition.
pipit2xted80copy.jpg

starling in my garden i was to close 600mm x2tc
starlinged802xcopy.jpg

this robin was late evening and didnt quite get the shutter speed even at
600mm and about 20ft the insert shows f/f.
ed80robincopy.jpg

100% crop from an original dunnock image shot @1/100 iso 800?

ed80dunnock2100copy.jpg

and the lens it's selft with D.I.Y. cover. its a bit bigger than the bigma.:eek!:

bigmaanded80copy.jpg

many thanks
jason :t:

Fantastic results!

Would you mind detailing the whole kit used to get such good results? tripod, scope-to-lens attachment?

Many thanks (of course, I know it's the user not the kit that counts really) |:$|

Nice results Jason.

I guess with the Canon crop factor of 1.6 the 600mm translates to around 960mm (35mm equiv) and double that with the teleconverter.

I wouldn't mind trading my 480mm William optics scope in for something in the region of 600mm one day, just to get a bit more reach.

Is yours an Evostar model? Quite reasonably priced the Skywatcher models.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back