• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D9300 DX rumoured (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
I see nikon rumours have a sniff of a new DX body that may well be the long awaited replacement of the D300s. And it wasn't posted on April 1st

Interesting talk from Toshiaki Akagi (Department Manager in Nikon's 1Designing Department) via DPR/nikonrumors;

"You can expect some new DX lenses in the future. We haven’t forgotten about our DX customers &

Nikon is still "studying the demand" for a D300s replacement."

The dream is still alive. :t:

With the recent development in the line-up of both Nikon and Canon I would think more than twice before investing in any higher end DX lens, even if my current camera is a DX body.
Even with an equivalent FX lens being more expensive it may turn out a better mid- to longterm investment. Most "specialty" glass always was and still is for full frame, also third party manufacturers "Pro" material is and was full frame.

Just my $0.02

Brad Hill's has posted a few interesting comments following the release of the Canon 7DMkII:

22 Sept 2014: The Canon 7D MkII: Nikon - Please Take Note!
Over the last few years the "missing camera" from Nikon's lineup that I've received the most email about (mostly asking if I think Nikon is going to produce it) has been a "flagship" level DX camera. Most refer to it as the D400. For whatever reason, Nikon seems to have decided that pros or serious enthusiasts only want (need?) great FX cameras, and not great DX cameras.

Well Nikon, Canon has made it really easy for you to spec the camera of the dreams of many Nikon shooters - simply take the recently announced 7D MkII and "Nikonify" it. The specs on that camera look just fantastic - exactly what a Nikon-shooting wildlife photographer would want.

During the Nikonification of the 7D Mk II, here's a few things to keep in mind:

• Please, please, please don't disable it by putting in a crazy small buffer (think D7100). Minimum of 24-image buffer at fastest frame rate please.
• Please ensure that it is compatible with the batteries in the D4/D4s, at least in the optional battery grip.
• Make sure it can accept the same data cards as the D4/D4s (at least ONE of them overlapping in type - and my vote would be for XQD).
• Eyepiece: round please.

• Make it tough and very well environmentally sealed - preferably with Japanese manufacturing.

A final note - over the years I've had a lot of clients bringing the original 7D on my photo tours into the Great Bear Rainforest. Very commonly, the 7D's have struggled with the moisture, with the majority of them simply failing (until being dried out overnight). This included cameras used with quality rain covers and not directly exposed to any rain (i.e., they shut down due to humidity alone). For the sake of future buyers of the 7D MkII I'm hoping Canon has addressed this issue. And, of course, the Nikonified version should be moisture-resistant too!

Good job Canon. This is one Nikon-shooting wildlife photographer that is more than a little envious of the 7D MkII.

Hopefully Nikon is listening….

Q (dpreview.com):
"Do you want to move customers that might be (say) D300S users up to full-frame?!

A:
"A certain portion of our DX customers have already moved up to full-frame sensors. But not all. We understand that there is still some demand for a successor to the D300S and all we can say at this moment is that we are studying that demand."

Toshiaki Akagi, Department Manager in Nikon's 1st Designing Department of the Development Center in the Imaging Business Unit.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/77...w-large-sensor-mirrorless-could-be-a-solution

"studying the demand…" …hmm..

I guess you could interpret that as "busy doing nothing at all"…

Just saw that JPAC referred to the same interview,
but I can't say I'm as positive in the interpretation...

Last edited:
With the recent development in the line-up of both Nikon and Canon I would think more than twice before investing in any higher end DX lens, even if my current camera is a DX body...

What high end DX lenses? Don't answer, just a rhetorical question. I agree with you essentially. I've given up on the idea of truly high-end DX lenses from Nikon. But I refuse to be satisfied with the absence of a truly high-end DX body.

Q (dpreview.com):
"A certain portion of our DX customers have already moved up to full-frame sensors. But not all. We understand that there is still some demand for a successor to the D300S and all we can say at this moment is that we are studying that demand."

Toshiaki Akagi, Department Manager in Nikon's 1st Designing Department of the Development Center in the Imaging Business Unit.

"studying the demand…" …hmm..

I guess you could interpret that as "busy doing nothing at all"…

No sh*#. I can only hope that Canon's 7D2 is a monumental success, giving overwhelming evidence of high demand for a "pro" DX body. Nikon has fallen way behind in the high-end APS-C sector. Several companies now offer APS-C bodies that appeal to me more than Nikon (Fuji, Samsung, Pentax/Ricoh, Canon, etc.), but Nikon and Canon are still the only choices for the very best performing lenses and autofocus.

The dream is still alive. :t:

Maybe, but personally I'm utterly fed up with dreaming and guessing about what Nikon will do. It's time for Nikon to put their f*&#ing cards on the table.

I'm rather certain we will at least get a D7300 announcement either late this year or early next year. It is interesting to me that the Canon 7D2 is not scheduled to begin shipping until *black Friday,* still 2 months away. So that gives Nikon a little more time to plan their next move. But a D7300 may not entirely satisfy me.

My faith in Nikon is diminished, for a number of reasons. And right now I'm thinking I *might* decide to switch to Canon next year. So for now I'm holding off buying any more Nikon gear. I will probably stay with Nikon because it would cost me a fortune to switch. But if someone came to me asking advice today, ready spend a lot on their first DSLR for bird photography, I would probably point them at Canon.

Dave

The IQ of the 7d mkII is still unknown…

Of course you're right. I'm betting and hoping that the 7D2 will be significantly better than the D7100, overall. I could be wrong on that. I know Canon is no where near perfect and Canon users have a lot of gripes too. I have to think long term. At this moment Nikon may have fallen behind Canon in this one area (pro APS-C body). Over time generally they offer fairly closely matched options. Also, within 2-3 years we may finally have other strong viable options besides Nikon/Canon for fast super telephoto bird photography. That's another reason for me to be patient. And if I need one more reason, I still haven't pushed to the outer limits of my current camera body capability and other skills. I should work at that while I wait for Nikon.

Dave

So D300 owners (high end DX) moving to full frame. The D600, D610, and D750 aren't pro-cameras with small buffer, SD cards (the future maybe though), max shutter speed 1/4000 sec, lower fps, small bodies with less and smaller controls. The D800 and D810 is a much better fit, but at a considerable price increase, and lets face it most people don't need 36MP. Other options are used cameras (some great ones there) but Nikon doesn't get to sell any new ones, or moving to Canon.

Seems that Nikon have a great marketing strategy there.

So D300 owners (high end DX) moving to full frame. The D600, D610, and D750 aren't pro-cameras with small buffer, SD cards (the future maybe though), max shutter speed 1/4000 sec, lower fps, small bodies with less and smaller controls. The D800 and D810 is a much better fit, but at a considerable price increase, and lets face it most people don't need 36MP. Other options are used cameras (some great ones there) but Nikon doesn't get to sell any new ones, or moving to Canon.

Seems that Nikon have a great marketing strategy there.

The general strategy of trying to get as many people as possible to move to more expensive full frame cameras is understandable, even profitable. But I think they have "milked that cow dry" for now.

Forgive me for taking over this thread but that quote from Nikon's Design and Development spokesman just riles me up: "...we are studying that demand..." That's BS! They would have to be morons to be unaware of the strong demand for a D400 over the past few years. A more honest statement would be something like this: "We have been intentionally ignoring the demand for a D300s replacement and instead we have been leveraging a different strategy for quite some time..." Demand obviously doesn't drive all their decisions. For example, there is much greater demand for a new 400mm f/5.6 than an updated 400mm f/2.8 that is $3000 more expensive than the previous excellent lens! And look at the flood of 18-xxmm kit zooms they have released one after the other. Boy those were exciting. I give them credit for offering a few new lenses that actually match an existing gap or demand, such as the 80-400mm update, and the recent 20mm f/1.8. But it almost seems like they randomly decide what lenses to update.

Ok. I'm done ranting... sorry.

Dave

The general strategy of trying to get as many people as possible to move to more expensive full frame cameras is understandable, even profitable. But I think they have "milked that cow dry" for now.

Forgive me for taking over this thread but that quote from Nikon's Design and Development spokesman just riles me up: "...we are studying that demand..." That's BS! They would have to be morons to be unaware of the strong demand for a D400 over the past few years. A more honest statement would be something like this: "We have been intentionally ignoring the demand for a D300s replacement and instead we have been leveraging a different strategy for quite some time..." Demand obviously doesn't drive all their decisions. For example, there is much greater demand for a new 400mm f/5.6 than an updated 400mm f/2.8 that is $3000 more expensive than the previous excellent lens! And look at the flood of 18-xxmm kit zooms they have released one after the other. Boy those were exciting. I give them credit for offering a few new lenses that actually match an existing gap or demand, such as the 80-400mm update, and the recent 20mm f/1.8. But it almost seems like they randomly decide what lenses to update.

Ok. I'm done ranting... sorry.

Dave

Dave,
I have to agree with your rant - there have been few Nikon releases lately that have been exciting or in any way consumer related. The D7100 suffers from its small buffer, the Df is a no go for MF AIs users, the D810 is too much for many, and the D750 seems more like a D650 with the limitations inherent to that series…
Disappointing times for Nikon fans…. in the meantime we can lust for the likes of this
P ;)

Last edited:
nikon just don't have the pro grade DX lenses to go with a pro DX DSLR,
I think nikon see pro DX as a whole package,
a package that does not fit in nikons smaller sales figures,
Canon also have less FF alternatives than Nikon,

by the way,
D750 is "NPS rated" according to Nikon…
how weird is that,

checked it out today,
it very small, neat and nice to hold, quite good viewfinder,
but I can't say that it feels like a pro-body...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back