• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camouflage for lens (1 Viewer)

Camo on lens became popular because of the Big white Canon L lens, which was the majority lens used by Bird shooters till the 150-600mm stuff came out. Having a big White lens is extremely different to using a black lens to a bird, they won't see the black as spooky as they see the white. Having said that there is almost no point to camo on the Tamron, i know because i have it myself. Any dark colors or even earth tones won't alarm a bird like white will.

Camo on lens became popular because of the Big white Canon L lens, which was the majority lens used by Bird shooters till the 150-600mm stuff came out. Having a big White lens is extremely different to using a black lens to a bird, they won't see the black as spooky as they see the white. Having said that there is almost no point to camo on the Tamron, i know because i have it myself. Any dark colors or even earth tones won't alarm a bird like white will.

Offhand, I don't see why white would alarm birds more than black or other colors. Are there published studies on this subject, do you know?

I use (DIY) neoprene sleves on my long lenses for added protection, i.e. to prevent scratches and direct contact with dirt, dust and moisture (the kind in drops) and to absorb some of the energy when bumping into something. At the time I was shopping for it the material was available in a few different solid colors (red, orange, black, white) and a break-up pattern (digital desert?!). I picked the last one because it visually breaks up the lens and serves well to become a bit less obvious and intimidating to humans ....

As far as the original question is concerned:
- I can't read those characters to gather details
- It seems to be made for your lens and should fit
- I would only get something made from neoprene for waterproofness and padding. Just for camo I would go with McNet tape (much cheaper) http://www.ebay.com/itm/McNETT-CAMO...272997?hash=item2327b8b9e5:g:UYkAAOSwGvhT4VA7
- Pattern choice (if there is) is secondary (as long as it is not day glow orange)

Last edited:
The main point for me was:-

A - added protection as I am clumsy bugger ;-)
B - like the look.
Than ks for the replies as usual guys ;-)

I did read some of the cheaper neoprene sleeves can give powder of which could work its way into your lens,no idea if its true as i dont use a cover

Ordered and on its way to me soon I hope, will review it at a later date after a trial, if I can fit the damn thing ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back