• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest Windows update issues (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Windows updated the other night and I've two issues.

1: the speaker re-sets to mute on boot up
2: Control+x no longer works (though Ctrl+C and V do) on any applications

Now suddenly uppercase x isn't working. The other day it was capital C that wouldn't work. That only lasted about half an hour. Capital x was OK half an hour ago.

Weird things going on.

.... well there we go... CTRL+X is cutting again and capital X is working now.

A mystery to me how this happens LOL

Do you have the possibility of using an external keyboard (you are using a laptop I believe)? If you do, try that next time to figure out if you have a problem with the built in keyboard hardware or if you have a problem with the operating system.

Niels

Thanks for that idea Niels.

Not at the moment, though I guess if could pop it down to my local 'puter shop I think he has one there.

I was just going to say try an external keyboard, I was given a laptop because the keyboard was not working but an external one connected does.

Thanks Fixer. If it really becomes a big issue, I'll see what I can do about a keyboard.

I still think it's something to do with the Windows update, as the problems started straight after the last update.

The mute problem happened after a previous one too, but was corrected after about a week. Where do I find the settings menu to see if I can change it?

I am not sure about your classic shell, but in normal Win10, you can either use the cortina search in lower left corner, or you can go to the windows icon further left in the lower corner and click on that. Above that icon will open a few other things, and along the left side is an icon like a cogwheel which is the link to settings.

Niels

Thanks Niels. I did find my way to Settings before posting the above, but couldn't work out where it might have re-set it to "Mute" on Start Up.

Soooo.... after 5 or so days, everything is back working again. XX see LOL

First noticed that the speakers were no longer 'muted', so tested the X and CTRL X and all OK

I didn't do anything, 'cos I didn't know what to do.

I didn't say anything yesterday .... in case.....

But when I started my laptop up the speakers weren't muted and I tried capital X it worked... as did CTRL+X.

Thought I'd wait until today for confirmation and it's all working properly again. All without me doing anything.

Oh well... will just have to wait until the next update and see what mess they make of things then eh?

LOL Niels!!

I'm just not brave enough to switch.

Hummmmph though. Although CTRL+x etc was still working properly this morning (I used it without thinking), the speakers were again muted!

I usually keep the speakers on my laptop muted. If I plug in something external there is an automatic unmute - that goes back to unmute when removed. Maybe there is an issue with the hardware where you plug in external speakers.

Niels

Why don't you change to apple I went that route about a year ago wished ide done it ages ago, troubles have vanished

Just as we were looking at it, for connectivity, sleekness etc, but certainly not price and fashion, a young friend passed. She was 43, her husband 45 and their son (my godson) was 6.

As well as having to deal with sudden, unexpected death, and a six year old not understanding why 'mummy not waking up was not his fault', there was the fact that all of the photographs and videos of the family growing up, and the wedding and EVERYTHING were on her Apple account, shared with the wider family, Apple would not allow her husband to access and download the account Apple had closed when notified of her passing. This is a precis of 6 year's to-ing and fro-ing and using solicitors etc. Apple refused to accept a UK grant of Probate as a recognised Court Document (it is!) to release the content. Finally at great expense a court case was mounted.

So, no, we did not go Apple.

If you have, you should ensure that ALL of your content is stored in normal (non Apple specific) formats on your own hard drives, otherwise you may lose it.

Microsoft are not squeaky clean either, but its easier to not be totally connected, and store off line.

H

Last edited:
I haven't plugged anything in Niels (don't have any external speakers LOL).

Sometimes I plug my phone in, if I'm actually wanting to use it and need it close at hand. My external hard drive is currently at the computer shop while he investigates to see if there's a fault on it (it keeps dropping the connection when I'm trying to transfer my pictures!)

But neither of these have caused any issues with the speakers before. Nor has the card from my camera, when inserted into the slot.

Just as we were looking at it, for connectivity, sleekness etc, but certainly not price and fashion, a young friend passed. She was 43, her husband 45 and their son (my godson) was 6.

As well as having to deal with sudden, unexpected death, and a six year old not understanding why 'mummy not waking up was not his fault', there was the fact that all of the photographs and videos of the family growing up, and the wedding and EVERYTHING were on her Apple account, shared with the wider family, Apple would not allow her husband to access and download the account Apple had closed when notified of her passing. This is a precis of 6 year's to-ing and fro-ing and using solicitors etc. Apple refused to accept a UK grant of Probate as a recognised Court Document (it is!) to release the content. Finally at great expense a court case was mounted.

So, no, we did not go Apple.

If you have, you should ensure that ALL of your content is stored in normal (non Apple specific) formats on your own hard drives, otherwise you may lose it.

Microsoft are not squeaky clean either, but its easier to not be totally connected, and store off line.

H

Gosh H!!!! That sounds to have been an absolute nightmare! I'm guessing it was finally sorted via the courts.... is that right?

Ridiculous

After weeks of working OK (I did nothing). Except my mouse suddenly went into double-click mode, even with the setting right down to the slowest. It kept coming back then reverting again. Bought a new mouse on Monday, but when I got home the original was working OK again and has continued to do so!!

However, the morning, the speakers are muted and the right shift key with the c doesn't work. Left shift +C does!

So frustrating!

..... soooo I've been out for a few hours, and miraculously it's working again!!!!

Frustrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back