• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crimson Speckled (1 Viewer)

Britseye

There was a Crimson Speckled caught at Polgigga in Cornwall last night. I had Hummingbird Hawkmoth on the wing today, St Agnes. A few Small Mottled Willows around the south coast recently.

Whilst it might be the first UK record for February I'd probably say it was not really a surprise as it can be seen in the western Med at this time, sometimes in large numbers. It was just fortuitous that there was a weather system from Iberia at the time - which also brought other 'migrant' species (Agrotis ipsilon, Spodoptera exigua, Aproaerema polychromella, etc.).

Last edited:
Whilst it might be the first UK record for February I'd probably say it was not really a surprise as it can be seen in the western Med at this time, sometimes in large numbers. It was just fortuitous that there was a weather system from Iberia at the time - which also brought other 'migrant' species (Agrotis ipsilon, Spodoptera exigua, Aproaerema polychromella, etc.).

Also a female Vagrant Emperor to Cornwall yesterday- first dragonfly of the year!

Crimson Speckled on the wing in Israel this week.

I suspect more awareness these days to chase down what ostensibly appears to be a large pyralid type kicked up. Surprised not to see a Levant Blackneck amongst the records. I remember twitching one of those in a February (?) and there was ocellea and Small Mottled Willow at the time.

I also remember a report of Vagrant Emperor in 1990 in what was also an unseasonal spring with early Woodchat, Night Herons, Great Spotted Cuckoo, etc. But think that was March?

All the best

1990 was also an unseasonal spring with early Woodchat, Night Herons, Great Spotted Cuckoo, etc. But think that was March?

All the best

It was March and there was a Sardinian Warbler in Cornwall too (Bude). Remember ticking that and the GSC on successive weekends. Saw the Cuckoo - stuffed - in the window of the visitor centre at Dawlish 17 years later! About a dozen Night Herons on Scilly March- April 1990 IIRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back