• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dainty damselfly in kent, 2011 (1 Viewer)

JCL

Yesterday (2 June), a female Dainty Damselfly was found on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent. It was at the 2010 site with public access (the other two sites were on private land). Head north to Sheppey via the old road bridge. Park either just south of the bridge (e.g. west of the road or in the Swale railway station car park) or in the small pull-offs just north of the bridge. At the latter, a public footpath leads west past pools and under the new road bridge. The damselfly was on the northern shore of the second pool west of the road. Photos are at http://www.pbase.com/james_lowen/damselflies

James

A second male was photographed late morning.

There was too much wind in the afternoon for any (realistic) chances. I was not entirely happy about today's proceedings, but I'll leave it for others to comment if they so choose.

A few points on the identification, variability and habits based on observations of two males today and analysis of photos:

Both were located low in grass within several metres of the water's edge and were clearly "small" damsels; both had the upper thorax a pale greenish - presumably this will darken to blue; the lemon yellow underside was prominent on both and included the underside of the eyes.

Both had a prominent "Coenagrion spur" on the thorax but on neither did this form an "exclamation mark"; last year's write-ups seemed to suggest that this was a good feature but today's observations suggested otherwise (note that they did show an "incipient exclamation mark", with a slight narrowing of the coenagrion spur before a terminal blob)

Of great interest was the variation in the marking on S2; the first male had an E.cyathigerum type "mushroom" albeit with a very subtle dimple at the top (like last year's males); the second male had a classic thick wine goblet shaped mark.

All of the other segments were patterned as expected with S6-S7 entirely black (would have extensive blue bases in puella), blue S8 and with a black "bow tie" on S9.

The Pterostigma was a fair feature but hard to assess in the field.

In these very open marshes the wind was a real problem and it would be clearly best to visit on a still, warm day (but how many more of those are we likely to get!). A likely peak might be mid June so should be plenty of time to catch up with them, even if they are relatively scarce.

cheers, alan

A few points on the identification, variability and habits based on observations of two males today and analysis of photos:

Alan - glad you and others caught up with it. Are the photos posted anywhere public? No sign of 'my' female, I take it.

James

Alan - glad you and others caught up with it. Are the photos posted anywhere public? No sign of 'my' female, I take it.

James

Here you go.... these crops summarise Alan's appraisal

Cheers, James

Attachments

• 040611-ddf1.jpg
    040611-ddf1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 040611-ddf2.jpg
    040611-ddf2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 040611-ddf3.jpg
    040611-ddf3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 131

James

No sign of your female; the first male was trapped for examination and later released, the second male was only seen by myself and one other observer but was photographed (I've got copies tonight but they aren't mine to post). About ten people saw the first male today.

cheers, alan

Behaviour of insects or observers...?

I suspect the trapping was the issue - I and all others present at the time of capture were supportive of this however and given the difficulties and variation (e.g. in the "Coenagrion spur", s2) it was IMO appropriate to catch it and photograph it.

cheers, alan

A few points on the identification, variability and habits based on observations of two males today and analysis of photos
I've added some comments in reply, based on observations of a few hundred elsewhere in Europe...

Both were located low in grass within several metres of the water's edge and were clearly "small" damsels; both had the upper thorax a pale greenish - presumably this will darken to blue; the lemon yellow underside was prominent on both and included the underside of the eyes.
In an open habitat, as described, I would expect most damselflies to stay very low in vegetation, particularly if there was any wind. In size, they average smaller than Azure Damselfly, but this is not always noticeable (and similarly small sized Azures are not infrequent. The upper thorax on the male you described will become blue, as will the underside of the eyes. I believe that the underside of the abdomen does usually (always?) remain yellowish, but this will not always be visible, and fully mature males in particular often look entirely blue and black.

Both had a prominent "Coenagrion spur" on the thorax but on neither did this form an "exclamation mark"; last year's write-ups seemed to suggest that this was a good feature but today's observations suggested otherwise (note that they did show an "incipient exclamation mark", with a slight narrowing of the coenagrion spur before a terminal blob
The "exclamation shaped" 'coenagrion spur' might suggest Dainty Damselfly if it is present, but it does not need to be present - the "spur" on many Dainties is similar to that on other coenagrions.

Of great interest was the variation in the marking on S2; the first male had an E.cyathigerum type "mushroom" albeit with a very subtle dimple at the top (like last year's males); the second male had a classic thick wine goblet shaped mark.
S2 markings are quite variable in most species!

All of the other segments were patterned as expected with S6-S7 entirely black (would have extensive blue bases in puella), blue S8 and with a black "bow tie" on S9.
S6 quite often has some blue at the base (though this doesn't seem common, and if present seems to be only a small amount); Azures typically have S7 all black, and the blue base on S6 is sometimes very restricted. The black markings on S9 are very variable in both species and are of no real use at all for ID.

The Pterostigma was a fair feature but hard to assess in the field.
The length of the pterostigma may be useful in the hand, or from photographs, but the colour is of less use (initially pale in all Azures, sometimes appearing dark on Dainties!). A damselfly that appears fully mature and has a pale pterostigma is worth a close look though.

In these very open marshes the wind was a real problem and it would be clearly best to visit on a still, warm day (but how many more of those are we likely to get!). A likely peak might be mid June so should be plenty of time to catch up with them, even if they are relatively scarce.
I agree with this - there should be time to try if the weather holds out!

Here you go.... these crops summarise Alan's appraisal
Was a shot taken of the pronotum? (Which is a far more important character than those shown)

I suspect the trapping was the issue - I and all others present at the time of capture were supportive of this however and given the difficulties and variation (e.g. in the "Coenagrion spur", s2) it was IMO appropriate to catch it and photograph it.
I would hope that trapping and release is not seen as an "issue". As Alan has indicated, it can help to aid identification, especially of individuals that do not show 'typical' markings - and if done carefully it does no harm. Damselflies are also unlikely to leave the area on release (which could be an issue if larger dragonflies are caught for examination).

Trampling of the habitat is potentially a greater issue if a site is visited by quite a few observers - keeping a short distance back from the waters edge should help to avoid this if it is thought to be a problem.

Does anyone else remember an ill-fated unofficial (and probably illegal) reintroduction attempt at Stanford-le-hope in (probably) the early 1990's? My memory may be playing tricks on me but I have seen no mention of it in any of the write ups of these records.

Paul

Paul,
My memory is of an unofficial reintroduction attempt at Hadleigh Castle Country Park, South Benfleet in 1996. I believe emergence was monitored in 1997 and only a single individual resulted.
I assume that the occurrence of Southern Migrant Hawkers at the same site, perhaps the same pond, last year was just a coincidence.

Does anyone else remember an ill-fated unofficial (and probably illegal) reintroduction attempt at Stanford-le-hope in (probably) the early 1990's? My memory may be playing tricks on me but I have seen no mention of it in any of the write ups of these records.

Paul

Yesterday (Sat 11th June) a male Dainty Damselfly had already been photographed prior to 10.00 at JCL's site on Sheppey. By the time I left at about 11.30, at least 2, perhaps 3 males had been found. Both/all were fully adult (i.e. not teneral) and were found resting low down in long grass or amongst tall herbage several metres away from the water's edge.

Can I make a plea for some more "nanny state " directions to this site? Is it the 2nd pool west of the old bridge or new bridge? And an approx distance from the relevent bridge might be handy, and which side of the footpath (just in case what I might think of as a second pool isn't big enough to be called a pool, or other such unforeseen confusion!)

cheers,

Larry

Can I make a plea for some more "nanny state " directions to this site? Is it the 2nd pool west of the old bridge or new bridge? And an approx distance from the relevent bridge might be handy, and which side of the footpath (just in case what I might think of as a second pool isn't big enough to be called a pool, or other such unforeseen confusion!)

cheers,

Larry

Larry - 2nd pool west of the old bridge (and so the one immediately under and west of the new bridge) - have a check on Google earth / maps. I'd suggest parking at the gate north of the old bridge along the old road (the second car parking spot- enough room for 3 cars); you can walk down a ramp here and cut straight across to the pool.

cheers, alan

Larry - 2nd pool west of the old bridge (and so the one immediately under and west of the new bridge) - have a check on Google earth / maps. I'd suggest parking at the gate north of the old bridge along the old road (the second car parking spot- enough room for 3 cars); you can walk down a ramp here and cut straight across to the pool.

cheers, alan

thanks Alan, and JCL for original directions :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back