• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help needed (1 Viewer)

Davecr24

Hi all
I'm due to travel on a plane to india and I'm struggling to look for a carry on bag that will accommodate 2 dslr's,canon 100-400ii,canon 300 2.8ii,x2 extender,x1.4 extender and a pair of bins any ideas will be a great help I have a lowepro 400aw backpack but can't fit it all in 😡😡😡
cheers Dave

I presume weight isn't an issue ? I am regularly challenged as what to take but I usually travel with my wife who lets me have her allowance.
My Think Tank Accelerator could swallow all you intend taking I think and passes as within cabin baggage size.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-accelerator-camera-backpack

They are nicely made and my only gripe is the separate rain cover is fiddly to fit and comes off fairly easily if not well secured in the first place.

If weight is an issue... and they are likely to check.... a photo waistcoat is the best solution as you can stuff the pockets with whatever.

In addition you can consider putting some things in the hold. I usually stick my convertors in the hold luggage as well as my 'bins. If they are well wrapped it isn't a problem and I don't worry about theft. I have a feeling security will be stepped up now too.
I know lots of people get twitchy about putting photo gear in the hold having seen bags dropped from the baggage handlers trucks etc but more often than not it's travelled to or through the UK in similar circumstances before it's delivered when first bought.

It's the weight you will probably have to watch out for. Most airlines have a limit and it gets gobbled up pretty quickly. Charter flights like Thomas Cook only give you 5Kg in their standard class and the bag can weigh 2Kg on it's own. I had to take my 500mm f4 lens in a very flimsy bag but well wrapped in bubble wrap when I went to Gambia. An upcoming trip with Qatar allows me 7kg so the Accelerator plus lens and a body will be fine but I'll actually have spare room in the bag.

I have been to Estonia this year and needed to take DSLR, 400mm lens ,1.4 ext,18-200mm lens ,binoculars,85 mm telescope and tripod.I put the tripod in the hold baggage,the camera, lenses and binoculars in my Loeprow camera bag and my telescope in a shoulder bag similar to a laptop case.I had no problems with this set up and I intend to use it for all my travels.....Eddy

A handy check list of various weight and size limits by airline here:-
http://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

Much depends on where to and from you want to travel and airline availability.

Like everything though I think it's always best to plan for the future. Go to the maximum rather than have to buy another bigger bag later ( as I recently had to). Of course the one thing that might back fire is a size reduction by the airline!

I've managed to squeeze it all into my lowepro 400aw without the bins but it weighs in at 10kg found out I'm flying with virgin airlines so I'm ok with the 10kg limit there and back but I have one internal flight at the end of the holiday from bagpur to Mumbai and the limit is 7kg hand and 15kg hold luggage which I think is pathetic so it looks like I'll be using your idea Dave of a photographers waist coat or a top with huge pockets!!!!!

I've managed to squeeze it all into my lowepro 400aw without the bins but it weighs in at 10kg found out I'm flying with virgin airlines so I'm ok with the 10kg limit there and back but I have one internal flight at the end of the holiday from bagpur to Mumbai and the limit is 7kg hand and 15kg hold luggage which I think is pathetic so it looks like I'll be using your idea Dave of a photographers waist coat or a top with huge pockets!!!!!

Get in touch with the organiser, it sounds like you booked a package deal.
We booked a cruise package where we flew Emirates to China, got on a ship to Singapore then flew to Thailand with a local budget airline, then home from there with Emirates again.
Emirates luggage allowances were generous, the local one wasn't so I rang up and told the organisers this wasn't on as we needed the luggage allowance all the way through. They agreed to pay to increase the hold allowance up to Emirates level. There wasn't an issue with cabin baggage.
Your internal flight might have cabin baggage restrictions that are inflexible but a waistcoat would help!
I think independent travellers are quite often caught out this way when they choose to save money on flights to places like Goa.
The one place you can't get past it are internal flights in places like Kenya's safari parks. The planes are incapable of carrying extra weight so I would imagine its very strict on limits.Mind you, I don't know what happens when a 20+ stone passenger turns up.

Thanks Dave i tested a top that I will be wearing which has 2 large pockets I can fit a 7d in each one so it brings my hand luggage down to 6kg then i'll just stick them both in the bag once I'm past the luggage point �� as for hold luggage I will ring virgin holidays up and explain the situation

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back