• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2016 (1 Viewer)

From the main car park by The Bull pub, head down the east side of the woods with the playground on your left. Continue down the hill with the gardens on your left and at the end of the gardens you'll cross a small stream and be on a gravel path. Turn left here and last week the SMH were 200m or so down this ride, in the general area of the bench.

If you're going to Wat Tyler you could do worse than to pop in to RSPB West Canvey Marshes, where SMH were apparently into double figures the other day. The ditch between the end of the hedge north of the car park and the children's play area has been a favoured spot in previous years.

Thanks for that Neil, that saves me a lot of time trying to find out through Google. Fingers crossed for a successful trip.

From the main car park by The Bull pub, head down the east side of the woods with the playground on your left. Continue down the hill with the gardens on your left and at the end of the gardens you'll cross a small stream and be on a gravel path. Turn left here and last week the SMH were 200m or so down this ride, in the general area of the bench.

If you're going to Wat Tyler you could do worse than to pop in to RSPB West Canvey Marshes, where SMH were apparently into double figures the other day. The ditch between the end of the hedge north of the car park and the children's play area has been a favoured spot in previous years.

Thanks as well I will be at watt Tyler week commencing 7th August.
Kind regards Mike
http://www.wingsofnature.org/

Last edited:
Southern Migrant Hawkers

I called into Wat Tyler CP hoping to see the SMH that had been reported from there over the past few days. I was not disappointed. 3 probably 4 ♂'s & 1♀ were showing very well between c10.30 a.m. & 12.00 noon in the reeds by the pool with the concrete ramp at the marina.

Cheers, Simon

Attachments

• img_5263.jpg
    img_5263.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 45
  • img_5379.jpg
    img_5379.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 46
  • img_5470.jpg
    img_5470.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 54
I called into Wat Tyler CP hoping to see the SMH that had been reported from there over the past few days. I was not disappointed. 3 probably 4 ♂'s & 1♀ were showing very well between c10.30 a.m. & 12.00 noon in the reeds by the pool with the concrete ramp at the marina.

Cheers, Simon

Wow, Simon! Great shots!

John

Hi Ben let us know as to your visit.
Kind regards Mike

http://www.wingsofnature.org/

Yes sorry I completely forgot to say how my day went!

In the end I went to west canvey island marshes rspb after Neil suggested I might want to try there. I spent the whole morning there searching up and down the small ditch by the park and eventually after it warmed up a bit I managed to see at least 2 SMH and 2+ Scarce Emeralds. It was a cracking day and I was so happy to finally see SMH.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 57
Thankyou Simon and Ben, and may I say what fantastic shots. I am hopefully visiting there on wed onwards. I will report back as well.
Kind regards Mike

Id help, please

Hi, I am not sure of the id of the Dragonfly in the photograph. It was seen yesterday in Nether Kellet, Lancashire.

I would be grateful for any help.

Attachments

• RSCN1336 Mod (1024x768).jpg
    RSCN1336 Mod (1024x768).jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 54
I went to west CANVEY marsh on Wednesday and was successful with the SMH.
It was more luck than judgement the wind was very strong and barely anything was flying but managed to find one in the reeds near the sea wall. I managed a couple of rushed shots just before it took to the wing. I also saw two extremely large female adders. It was hard work with barely any damsels showing either.
On Thursday the weather was no better I popped into the entrance drive of watt Tyler to checkout the pond on the right but nothing was moving apart from the reeds. So journeyed on to bowyers marsh and tried for the scarce emeralds there, and was a little bit more lucky there. Although the verdict is out until I get a second opinion as to whether they were scarce emeralds or not. I still am processing my images for the 3 days.
Friday I went to watt Tyler and met another two enthusiasists from a Herts the wind was a little better but not by much but at least the sun was out. Although a couple were spotted no photos were taken. However there was a very curious southern hawker not quite what I was after but it kept me amused. After a couple of hours I went back to west CANVEY marsh for the afternoon. Boy was it hot but still very windy. I managed to see 3 smh but none landed near me. Although a couple of male migrants did. I consoled myself with more ruddy darter shots along with the migrants.
I may return this w/e if the weather is kinder
Kind regards Mike.

Last edited:
Priddy pools, Somerset

Cracking morning at Priddy this morning with lots of activity, I went with the intention of trying to get a DIF of Common hawker which I eventually did. Lots of species seen Common hawker, Brown hawker, Migrant hawker, Emerald damselfly plus Black, Common and Rudy Darters. Nice to meet you today Mike hope you got some good shots of the Common hawkers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 32
Cracking morning at Priddy this morning with lots of activity, I went with the intention of trying to get a DIF of Common hawker which I eventually did. Lots of species seen Common hawker, Brown hawker, Migrant hawker, Emerald damselfly plus Black, Common and Rudy Darters. Nice to meet you today Mike hope you got some good shots of the Common hawkers.

Hi Benjamin, nice to meet you as well, as your aware I got there later than expected but did manage some shots of the common hawker including a scrap between an ovidepositing female and amorous male. At this time I am in Weston in a hotel. Therefore I am not sure how good my images are, but will post any interesting shots when I get home will have another look at PRIDDY tomorrow on my way home but the weather forecast isn't great.
Kind regards mike.
Ps after you left apart from dog walkers a couple of guys turned up with a drone! Whatever next?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back