• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 4/100-300 HSM as birding lens? (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi there worldwide..

I am searching for a good but not too expensive birding lens.

I narrowed my choice down to the Sigma 4/100-300 EX APO HSM (due to quality flexibility and less expense..)

What do you think about this lens as a standard lens on birding trips without tripod (I refuse to carry a tripod)? Since it lacks an OS/IS I wonder if it's still possible to take hand held shots with 300 mm (x 1.6).
What about flight shots? Is the auto focus fast enough?
And the weight? Some people say it was too bulky others argue Canon's 4/300 IS USM wouldn't be any lighter.
Has there already been a solution for fixing a strap to the lens?

(I know, much "depends". Actually it won't be possible in a dense forest and will be for shooting snow geese flying in a brightly lit desert. Just tell me what you think is possible in average birding situations...)

[I've asked this question within a "Canon"-thread, too.]

Thanks!

I used this lens for a while and was very happy with it, the AF is fast and acurate and it's an easy lens to handhold. The biggest problem I found was the lack of reach, so I often used it with a 1.4x tc in place. With the 1.4x the AF does slow a little, but it's still a good lens.

Reasons for buying the Sigma 100-300/f4

Yes, I know 300mm (x1.6) isn`t too much for a birding/holiday lens.
In a nutshell, the following will be the reasons for buying this lens (sorted by personal importance):

- It`s not too expensive (although not cheap, either) (for my budget).
- You`ve got a bright/fast 300/f4 and needn`t use a tripod all the time.
- You`re able to extend to 300x1.4.
- It`s not too heavy (compared to Bigma, 80-400, ...)
- You`ve got the flexibility of a zoom (e.g. for shooting other wildlife).

Tell me if I got anything wrong.. ;)

Two last things:
What TC is recommended for use with this lens (AF-speed, quality)? Do you have to tape pins? What about CA when using a TC (heard horrific stories)..
Is there any recommended lens strap (so I don`t break the plastic-400D)?

Thanks for your comments that helped me deciding.. :t:

Last edited:
Yes, I know 300mm (x1.6) isn`t too much for a birding/holiday lens.
In a nutshell, the following will be the reasons for buying this lens (sorted by personal importance):

- It`s not too expensive (although not cheap, either) (for my budget).
- You`ve got a bright/fast 300/f4 and needn`t use a tripod all the time.
- You`re able to extend to 300x1.4.
- It`s not too heavy (compared to Bigma, 80-400, ...)
- You`ve got the flexibility of a zoom (e.g. for shooting other wildlife

As the zoom ability is at the bottom of the list the Canon 300mm F4 IS will do all these things probably better than the Sigma for a little more money. So unless the Sigma is at the very limit of your budget you might wish to consider it (unless you've already done so that is!). It weighs less, has IS and being a prime will have less glass in it and should therefore. work better with a TC. Just done a bit more checking, it close focuses to 1.5m, closer than the Sigma so it's by no means useless for other wildlife photography.

Hope I'm helping.
Adam

Last edited:
I have a 400mm f5.6 (non IS) which I handhold most of the time (also with a 1.4tc) so you should not have any trouble with the 300 f4.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back