• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One Swarovski, mostly one location (Snettisham) (1 Viewer)

New here, this is a variation on what I am sure is a regularly-asked question but I’d appreciate feedback from people who may have gone through the same thought process, and who have used/handled the models I am considering.

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars, primarily for use at RSPB Snettisham (we have a caravan there). Looking out to sea, watching the birds from the Rotary and Shore hides, that sort of thing. Part of me thinks I should go for 10x or even 12x as it only takes 15 mins walking to get to the hides so the weight does not matter.

That said... A few months ago I looked at the Swarovski range at Titchwell and really liked the 8x32. Reading this forum I hear about the issues with glare but reckon I could live with it. The 8x32 would be ideal for occasions when I want to use binoculars elsewhere, such as walks in National Trust properties and along the Norfolk coast. Looking at the window over fields I couldn’t see much difference between the 8x32 and the 8.5x42 - would have loved to have these at Snettisham to actually see the cormorants but sadly not possible. I love looking at birds, but am not a bird watcher so light levels first thing in the morning/last thing at night won’t be an issue.

So what is the best model for my expected 80/20 use pattern? Ideally I guess I’d get both 8x32 and 12x50 but I only want ONE pair

For primarily coastal habitats, what is the best compromise choice? Any help much appreciated.

Consider the EL 10x32. It's excellent and could be perfect for the uses you do and don't have in mind. (My own daily bino for nearly 20 years has been the Leica version.)

Snetty
I agree with Tenex. A 10x32 sounds ideal for your use. It will have a longer reach over those mud flats, marshes and reedbeds, and since you are often viewing from hides and have many other places in East Anglia to do the same, you will have support to steady the extra magnification, should you need it. 10x32 is not popular format but to my surprise I have been using it quite often since buying a Meopta MeoStar 10x32 earlier this year.

Good luck.

Lee

Thanks guys, I was considering the 10x32 but read somewhere concerns about eye relief. I wear glasses so this is important. The Swarovski spec suggests it should be OK but if anyone has had an issue I would be grateful to hear.

Thanks guys, I was considering the 10x32 but read somewhere concerns about eye relief. I wear glasses so this is important. The Swarovski spec suggests it should be OK but if anyone has had an issue I would be grateful to hear.

I wear spectacles and have not ER problems with the Meopta.

Lee

I had the 10x32 EL and I thought it was great until I started seeing how much glare it showed it is worse than the 8x32 SV and a 10x32 is going to be a little more finicky for eye placement and less bright than an 8x32 . The 8x32 SV is a great binocular but it can show glare also and considering how you are going to use your binocular in areas like the Norfolk Coast where the sun is going to be difficult with reflection off the water I would get a Nikon EDG II 8x32 or better yet the Nikon EDG II 8x42. The EDG is really as good as the Zeiss SF, Swarovski SV or Leica Noctivid and you can get them from Japan for less money or about $500.00 less. The Nikon's will handle glare better than a 32mm SV and they will have a smoother focus. If you want an all around binocular get the Nikon EDG II 8x42. The 42mm will bring in 70% more light than the 32mm and I think you would appreciate that when the sun starts going down on the coast. The SV 8.5x42 would be a pretty good choice also because it handles glare better than the 32mm SV's. A 12x the SV is the best would be all right if you had an 8x also but if you are going to have only ONE binocular get the 8x42.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NIKO...922534&hash=item1a3f228a2e:g:ZVUAAOSwKQ9aEWg1
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Niko...507309&hash=item1cd6b612b2:g:skAAAOSwmK9dRGLC

Last edited:
I have experience with the Swarovski binoculars mentioned, and I would get the 8.5x42 SV. It has
been called the universal distance viewer, and for good reason. If offers a combination of a nice size
objective power, and it does offer wide picture window view.
A great all around binocular.

Jerry

I am looking to get a pair of binoculars, primarily for use at RSPB Snettisham (we have a caravan there). Looking out to sea, watching the birds from the Rotary and Shore hides, that sort of thing. Part of me thinks I should go for 10x or even 12x as it only takes 15 mins walking to get to the hides so the weight does not matter.

That said... A few months ago I looked at the Swarovski range at Titchwell and really liked the 8x32. Reading this forum I hear about the issues with glare but reckon I could live with it. The 8x32 would be ideal for occasions when I want to use binoculars elsewhere, such as walks in National Trust properties and along the Norfolk coast. Looking at the window over fields I couldn’t see much difference between the 8x32 and the 8.5x42 - would have loved to have these at Snettisham to actually see the cormorants but sadly not possible. I love looking at birds, but am not a bird watcher so light levels first thing in the morning/last thing at night won’t be an issue.

So what is the best model for my expected 80/20 use pattern? Ideally I guess I’d get both 8x32 and 12x50 but I only want ONE pair

For primarily coastal habitats, what is the best compromise choice? Any help much appreciated.

Probably 8x32 would give you a flexibility with regards to use. I've taken an 8x32 swaro on trips abroad, and it has not disappointed. And, correspondingly, I've used it for hours locally on birding outings. If you're in a hide for viewing, you can probably use the enclosure as a damper for potential glare. The 8x32 is portable, great optics, and has plenty of eye relief for those that wear glasses.

10x is helpful for viewing more long distance subjects. If the 10x32 works for you, that's great, but make sure that it does, and that you don't feel compromised if you're using it for other purposes.

My regular viewing binocular these days is a 10x42, so I feel comfortable recommending a 10x bin, as long as it fits you, and you can see the entire FOV with glasses on. Just be mindful of how, and when you'll be using the binocular.
General purpose is a different anilmal than very specific distances, weather, location, etc.

Bottom line, it is easier to have a few bins that are SPECIFIC, as opposed to an all a rounder, but you can make one bin do all the work, too. Its just a question of compromise, and whether those issues really mean anything with regards to your needs.

-Bill

Snett,

Given your "...80/20 use pattern... For primarily coastal habitats..." I second Dennis' recommendation for a Nikon EDG II in some configuration. I do a lot of glassing at the beach, using most of the models mentioned above (all are excellent), with lots of looking in an easterly direction against the rising sun. The EDG controls glare better than SW SV , Leica HD+, or Zeiss FL. Except for the Leica 10x32 mentioned above all other models have very good eye relief.

If you're set on SW, I agree the 8.5x42 is probably best as an all around /versatile choice, especially as you do not necessarily require a smaller lighter model like the 8x32 for most of your intended use. The extra .5 mag and extra 10mm objective as opposed to the 8x32 can really make a difference in viewing even though this might not be readily apparent in a brief comparison of the two.

Mike

If you went down the route of two pairs then how about the SW 10x,12x 50 supplemented with a cheaper pair of walkabouts such as the opticron 8x32 Traveller ED or other comparably priced 'jacket binocular'??
Russ
Ps the 12x is not particularly heavy especially if you're not carrying a fieldscope

I’d also consider a pair of Swarovski CL Pockets in addition to a pair of 8x32’s. I have a pair of El 8x32’s and bought a pair of the 8x25 Pockets for those times when I wanted to have a pair of binoculars but didn’t want to carry the EL’s & so far they’ been great.

Going back to your question of just the one pair, have a look at the Poll (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376666) on which binocular size is the most popular......its 8 x 32 by a smidge. But reading your post again my suggestion would be an alpha 10 x 42. Why? Slightly more magnification for offshore vessels, aircraft, panoramic, stargazing and not forgetting wildlife. As low light and weight do not appear to be an issue ( budget ? ) then my suggestion is either a Zeiss SF or a Swarovski SV (EL). If your popping down to compare then also a Leica Noctivid. All pricey but it's soon that time of year.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. I do just want to get one pair although the CL+SLC idea does have merit. I hope to try them within the next week so will see which feels best in hand, and confirm how steadily I can hold the 10x32/10x42.

If a pair fits in the bellows pocket of a Barbour jacket then that would be a serious selling point. I always have a rucksack but if the glass is in the pack, I will use them a lot less.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back