• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The fairly unknown Mr. Gadd (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Let´s have a look at a fairly unknown Eponym and the person behind it, this time regarding the scientific name:

gaddi
● as in the subspecies Montifringilla nivalis gaddi ZARUDNY & LOUDON 1904 as "Montifringilla alpicola gaddi" (OD, here, p.216)
"Wir benennen ihn nach G. G. Gadd, Sarudny's Reisebegleiter auf der letzten persischen Reise."
Columba livia gaddi ZARUDNY 1906 (OD, here)
"Wir benennen diese Form zu Ehren von Sarudny's Begleiter auf der letzten Reise Herrn G. G. Gadd."
● and Periparus ater gaddi ZARUDNY 1911 (OD, here) as "P. [Periparus] phaeonotus gaddi"
"Benannt nach meinem Reisegefährten während der Reise 1903— 1904 Herrn G. Gadd."
● … as well as the invalid "Saxicola gaddi" ZARUDNY & LOUDON 1904 (OD, here) [syn. Saxicola rubicola LINNAEUS 1766]
"Wir benennen diese Art nach Sarudny's Reisebegleiter in Persien, G. G. Gadd."
A bit tedious, I agree, but that´s all the OD's tell us.

So, what do we know of this gentleman? More than that he participated (together with a Russian taxidermist) in Zurudny's fourth Expedition to Persia (today's Iran), from 5 September 1903 to 25 May 1904, starting from "GumishTepe" (near the mouth of Atrak River) Southeastern Caspian Sea, then across Persia to the head of the Persian Gulf and from there north to the South West Caspian Sea, ending in the harbour of Bandar-e Anzali.

But do we know anything more than that? His first name, names, his birth or/and death? Do we know his nationality? Was he really "Finnish", as have been claimed? Or was he Russian? There´s certainly more than one contemporary Mr. Gadd present among Naturalists in those years. Was he maybe English, Scottish alt. Ukrainian (yes, I know, at that time part of Russia)? And what about his title; Mr. Gadd, the botanist, the military officer or the entomologist? Alt. in any thinkable combination …

Does anyone know anything additional, whatever small or large, regarding the obscure Mr. Gadd?

By the look of various pages on the internet it sure seems like we need someone who know a bit of Russian to figure it out.

---

In any case: not to confuse with the Finnish naturalist (mostly botanist) Pehr Adrian Gadd (1727–1797) [alt. Swedish or Swedish-Finnish, as Finland at that time was a part of Sweden].
---

Last edited:
If related to Pehr Adrian Gadd in any way I do not know. And the true name of the taxidermist is also unkown to me. I´d read that article, but other sources claim he was "S. A. Severtzov". That´s why I kept him anonymous in my first post.

However, back to Mr. Gadd ... I think I found him! Or at least, maybe.

There's apparently an entomologist by the name of: "Georg Georgievitsh Gadd (1875—1918)", a k a Georg Georgievich Gadd, that would, could fit the OD's. See link here, p 342.

Disclaimer: there´s also (if not the same!) an entomologist by the name Georg Gadd that supposedly died in 1917.

Could he (them, or either one) be "our" G. G. Gadd. In any case, Georgievitsh alt. Georgievich doesn´t sound very Finnish!?

I´m pretty sure any Russian knowing reader could find him on the internet fairly quickly. And hopefully a link to Zarudny (Sarudny) ...

Anyone feel like giving it a try?
---

Last edited:
There is a Георгий Георгиевич Гадд mentioned [here]: a scientist who studied botany, entomology, ornithology and ichthyology, but then specialized in the latter and finally turned to fish farming. The page is about a fish production plant that he directed between 1916 and 1918, at which point he died, aged 42 (which is consistent with him being born in 1875).

The patronym (second name, Георгиевич/Georgievich) indicates the name of his father. This might have been added to his name in a Russian context, I think, and if so would not necessarily exclude a non-Russian origin. (Eg., Leopold von Schrenck was Леопольд Иванович (фон) Шренк in Russia: "Ivanovich" doesn't really sound German either...)

Last edited:
And here maybe a dedication for a snake.
The dedication is explicit on the next page (last sentence):
"Я называю эту змею именем спутника Н. А. Заруднаго Георгия Георгиевича Гадда."
"I call this snake in the name of N.A. Zarudny's companion Georgy Georgievich Gadd."

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent!

So it´s seems to be the proper guy, Георгия Георгиевича Гадда; (transcribed from Russian) Georgy Georgievich Gadd (1875—1918), a k a Georg Georgievitsh Gadd (in German), botanist, entomologist, ornithologist and ichthyologist ...

Well that´s quite a few steps forward!

Now we just need to find his true nationality.

I sure wonder of the origin of that "Finnish" claim? Who knew or found that? And, if the latter, where?
---

Last edited:
Георгия Георгиевича Гадда
Presumably not critical, but I'd cite it as Георгий Георгиевич Гадд.
(Георгия Георгиевича Гадда "Georgiya Georgievicha Gadda" is a genitive case.)

Maybe here chapter 1916—1918 гг. под руководством Г. Г. Гадда tells us more about this guy?

Regading finnish I think you are on the right track with Pehr Gadd? I am not sure if the name of the author from En ny parasit-copepod från Kaspiska hafvetp is really Pehr Adrian Gadd (1727–1797). The publication is from 1906 and the middle name is not mentioned (even if Google books want to tell us this name). I assume as the atricle might talk about the Caspic sea (where G. G. Gadd was traveling with Zarudny) someone might have taken the wrong conclusion. Another example where The Eponym Dictionary of Birds here seems to be wrong.

One publication is e.g. here Gadd, G. Notice sur les Cigales de la Crimée here. Revue russe entomologie St. Petersburg, 141-145 and here. All very russian and not really finnish.

Last edited:
Presumably not critical, but I'd cite it as Георгий Георгиевич Гадд.
(Георгия Георгиевича Гадда "Georgiya Georgievicha Gadda" is a genitive case.)

Laurent, your Russian is good, where did you learn it?

Last edited:
One publication is e.g. here Gadd, G. Notice sur les Cigales de la Crimée here. Revue russe entomologie St. Petersburg, 141-145 and here. All very russian and not really finnish.
Following those two links might get something: Г. Гаддъ (Харьковъ) [G. Gadd (Charkow?)].

The Swedish Museum of Natural History (Naturhistoriska riksmuseet) in Stockholm, has samples sent from a "G. Gadd" of the University of Kharkiv (Charkow, Ukranian; Харків, Russian; Kharkov) in today's Ukranie.

I am not sure if the name of the author from En ny parasit-copepod från Kaspiska hafvetp is really Pehr Adrian Gadd (1727–1797).
It´s not. That article, from 1906, is written by another "Pehr Gadd", after he´d analyzed what the Swedish Professor Einar Lönnberg (1865–1942) brougt back in 1899 from a recent Expedition to the Caspian Sea.

Laurent, your Russian is good, where did you learn it?
It's kind, and I wish it were true, Peter, but the truth is that my Russian is really pitiful. ;)
I never actually learned it anywhere. I can read the letters (not too hard if you know the Latin and Greek alphabets), I know a few basic words, a very little bit of grammar, and of course I will recognise most of the words that have a Latin or Greek origin. But without Google Translate, I'd be rather lost most of the time, I'm afraid.

(Thus if some day you spot any mistake in one of my translations/interpretations, please don't hesitate to correct it.)

Here, on p. 220, in the Summary of the Annual Report of the Russian Geographical Society, he is titled the "botanist G. G. Gadd".

Well, that´s about as far as I think we can go. In any case, that´s all I can find.

James and today's HBWAlive Key has apparently accepted Mr. Gadd (and him still being Finnish!). I don´t see any indication of him being from Finland (nor from Sweden, my initial reason to check him out). On the other hand, I don´t see any inication he wasn´t! He could be either one, or from elsewhere. But I sure wonder what Finnish name could end up in "Georgiy Georgievich Gadd" or its similar versions?

Don´t hesitate to prove me (us) wrong, both regarding his full name and his nationality. Before we know his Origin his true name will be very hard to tell, as the names presented this far all can be interpretations in various languages.

Cheers!

PS. Is there maybe some kind of Expedition Report somewhere to be found, that would tell us anything additional or contradictory?
---

Last edited:
Answering my own question in the PS, in Post No. #13 ...

This seems to be the only "report" of Zarudny's 1903–1904 Expedition (all in Russian, except the title: "N. Zaroudny. [sic] Itinéraire de l’expédition dans la Perse occidentale en 1903—1904"), however I don´t think it tells us anything about Mr. Gadd.

Or?
---

Last edited:
This seems to be the only "report" of Zarudny's 1903–1904 Expedition (all in Russian, except the title: "N. Zaroudny. [sic] Itinéraire de l’expédition dans la Perse occidentale en 1903—1904"), however I don´t think it tells us anything about Mr. Gadd.
No, this is just a plain itinerary. (Dates and locations visited, period.)

I've been looking for, but did not find (yet):
  • О гадах и рыбах Восточной Персии. Записки Императорского Русского Географического Общества, 1904.
  • Орнитологическая фауна Восточной Персии. Записки Императорского Русского Географического Общества, 1904.
  • Путешествие по Западной Персии в 1903—1904 гг. Записки Императорского Русского Географического Общества, 1904.
These are cited in lists of Zarudny's publications on several websites.
I think this should be in Записки Императорского Русского Географического Общества по общей географии (not Записки Императорского Русского Географического Общества по отделению этнографии).
French: Mémoires de la Société impériale russe de géographie, section de géographie générale.

In the same journal, a year earlier, he published (1903) Птицы Восточной Персии / Les oiseaux de la Perse orientale.

Last edited:
One major question is where was he born 1875 to konw if he was finnish. As my russian is not existent I am as well not sure if there is a way seaching for Obituary, Notice nécrologique or similar in russian language. Maybe in context with his last passion aquaculture in the tradion of Nicholas Brüterei alias VP Vrassky?

Guys, I might have a Good reason to re-open this old thread ...

The other day I was contacted, right out of the blue, by a Mikhail Somov, a Russian reader of BirdForum, who'd seen this thread, and who had read it with great interest. This as his great-grandfather (Mikhail Pavlovich Somov) was a colleague of "our" G. G. Gadd, "in the direction of tsarist Ministry of Agriculture" (and I think that they also had studied together in Germany, if I understood it all correctly).

According to the same mail he confirmed that we've got the proper G. G. Gadd, and most of what we've already had found about him. On top of this I was also informed the following about Gadd [my blue and bolds]:
So far I have not been able to find out the origin of our hero, but with a high probability he is the son of Georg Ludwig Fredrikson Gadd, the father is Finnish Swedish, the mother is St. Petersburg German, among the relatives are the highest officers of the Russian service. This family is on geni dot com. There are photos and brief biographies. Members of the Gadd family who remained in SPb died in the blockade, descendants are unknown to me.

He studied at an elite school in St. Petersburg - Karl May Gymnasium (there is a virtual museum on the Internet), and most likely graduated from the university in Kharkov.

Bibliography

• Gadd G.G. Several observations on Crimean cicadas / G. Gadd. - [St. Petersburg, 1908]. - 7 p. ; 25 cm
  • Gadd G. On the protection of the fish population of our reservoirs // Bulletin of the KHOLP, 1916, No. 3-4, pp. 43-54.
  • Gadd G. Brochure. Carp pond farming. publication of the magazine "Economy" (South Russian Society for the Promotion of Agriculture and Rural Industry). Kiev Partnership "Printing House of S.P. Yakovlev" 1917.
In the original
  • Гадд Г.Г. Несколько наблюдений над крымскими цикадами / Г. Гадд. - [Санкт-Петербург, 1908]. - 7 с. ; 25 см
  • Гадд Г. Об охране рыбного населения наших водоемов // Бюллетени ХОЛП, 1916, № 3-4, с. 43-54.
  • Гадд Г. Брошюра. Карповое трудовое хозяйство. издание журнала "Хозяйство" (Южно-Русское ОбществоПоощрения Земледелия и Сельской Промышленности). Киев Товарищество "Печатня С.П. Яковлева" 1917г
In the collections of Kharkiv University there are samples collected by him. In the nursery where he bred fish fry, the memory of him is alive.

Since December 1916, he has been in charge of the Nikolsky Fish Hatchery. In May 1918, while fishing for trout, G.G.Gadd broke down by lifting a heavy bucket ... and soon he died at the age of 42.
(Also compare with the first part of Laurent's comment in post #4) ...

What can one say? But thank you, Mikhail! (y)

I also received yet another mail (equally rich in info) from the same Mikhail Somov, where he adds even more info, and a link, see the following:
[...]
The name of our hero is known only in Russian. Our middle name is taken from the father, but this family had a peculiarity. At birth and as a child, their father's name was Ludwig (the first of three names Georg Ludvig Fredriksson according to the Lutheran tradition), respectively, he studied at school as Georgy Ludvigovich. Sisters Sophia, Natalia, Maria, Magdalene, Margerita were Ludwigovna, and brothers Alexander and Julius were Ludwigovich, but from 1910 to 1916 Ludwig was replaced by George. Perhaps this is an echo of the war with Germany, but this is an assumption. The sisters died in the blockade, with the second name Georgievna. This feature made identification difficult. In my opinion, the correct name is exactly Georgiy Georgievich Gadd

As soon as his metric birth certificate appears, we will find out the name in the Lutheran tradition. But this name is not used anywhere.

According to the brief records in the history of the school - was born in 1876, plus/minus a year. From the context of the description of his death, we are talking about a few days or weeks, the date of death is May 1918.

Studied at St. Petersburg University (there is a file in the archive)

[...] Here is the link where everything is Georgiy Georgievich Gadd's Family Tree The site is international, there should be no problems with Cyrillic.

🧩

Thus, with all this extra info, and now with his probable/plausible Father's name suddenly known, it might be far, far easier to find out more about Mr Gadd, like his exact Birth place (as well as an exact month/date), once and for all we might be able to close the old topic/question whether he was 'Finnish' (alt. Finnish-Russian), or just simply Russian.

If so, the supposed Father ought to be, alt. might/could possibly be, this guy; "Georg Ludvig Fredriksson Gadd" (1829–1895), a guy born in Helsinki (Helsingfors), Finland. Also note that the Surname/s of this/his supposed Father on Geni is written as "Fredriksson Gadd" (i.e. the Swedish way, with double-s, equal of an English Fredric's Son).

Anyone with full access to Geni feeling like having a go ... ?

Maybe something is told in any of those alleged "brief biographies", who knows?

Unfortunately I don't have time to dig any further in this particular topic (simply too busy with other Etymologies, and other Eponyms), as Mr Gadd isn't included my MS (of Swedish Common/Vernacular Bird names). Too much to do, too little time.

In any case, in my own view, on my behalf, I think we can now conclude that Mr Gadd (at least) wasn't "Swedish", which was the sole reason, or original suspicion, that made me start this thread, back in 2015, when we only knew of him as nothing but "G. G. Gadd". Even if it clearly looks like he in some way (somehow/somewhere, at some stage, way back) indeed was of Swedish/Finnish (and German) Heritage. That far my ponderings wasn't all uncalled for. :rolleyes:

Either way, now I think it's pretty safe to delete him from my lists of "possible Swedes" ...

If he truly was "Finnish" as claimed in the Key, or even all "Russian" (as if possibly born in Saint Petersburg!?) is a different thing, and it remains to be seen. And even so, either way, I assume "Russian" (or maybe Finnish-Russian) ought to, or could be, a more appropriate nationality for "our guy", as Finland belonged to Russia when (alt. wherever) he was born.

Also note that in Finland, who was still under strong Swedish influence, in those days, they normally didn't use any Russian Patronymics (the way of adding the Fathers name to his). If found in an official Finnish (Lutheran) Birth/Church record his name might/could possibly (or even most likely) be written somewhat different to its Russian equivalent "Georgiy Georgievich Gadd".

In a strict "Finnish" context I would expect him to be more of a Georg (whatever) Gadd, but also note that Örjan, Göran or even Jörgen are Swedish names that could have been used in Finland in the same Era, alt. their Finnish versions; Yrjö, Jori, Jyri or Jyrki, all names that (also) would/could be equal of a Russian Georgiy (alt. its many different, similar versions, also of Juri). :unsure:

Well, that's it, enough is enough!

To anyone trying to find the exact details of his Birth: Good luck!

And once again: Mikhail Somov, thank you, for sharing the information above! (y)

Björn

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back