• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 8x32 vs 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

PS - I think the Swarovision EL is the latest Swarovski (EL) 8X32, in which case I have tried them out on two occasions already. They were very good. How do you think they compare to the Conquest 8x32s? They are way more expensive. I found that you get minimal blackout even when you move your eyes around in one position, a sure way to get blackout with any binocular and was only done as a test because the bins should be moved from side to side. I didn't notice any rolling ball effect, even with the 8.5x42, but I should test for that more rigorously. I probably didn't do that properly due to limited time.
I just realised that your message came through yesterday, I didn't get notified. Thanks for the reply.

Update on my original reply on here last year - The eye relief on the Swarovski EL 8x32 is supposed to be excellent and they did seem to be one of the best (possibly 'the' best) for EF when I tried them (at least from the many that I tried, which included Zeiss SF and Leica, which had some blackout). The 8.5x42 were good too.

The 8.5x42 has no blurring at the edges, but the 8x32 supposed to have some at the 83% mark. But I never used them for long enough to see any difference. Does anyone want to comment on that?

It is hard to decide between the SV 8.5x42 and the SV 8x32. I have them both and I don't see any blurring at the edges in either. They are the sharpest binoculars at the edge you will find. The SV 8.5x42 is a little easier for eye placement and a little better under low light but the SV 8x32 has a bigger FOV and it will WOW you more plus a bigger advantage of the 32mm is it's small compact size and lighter weight. If I could only keep one of the two it would be the SV 8x32.

Thanks. The reported blurring at the edge on the 8x32 tgen is negligible, or even a one off. They are still good in any case. I might be able to get a pair for £1200 new, opened package tho. Sandy coloured EL 8x32 one. The person came back to the shop for the green 8.5x42 instead. The 8x32 checked out very well.

That is a very good price for a new one especially if it is the newer Field Pro model. I have heard the sand color shows dirt a little more than the green but I would still go for it.

Hello,

the recent models of the EL SWAROVISION WB Field Pro Package of the EL 8x32 and 8.5x42 differ. They also differ optically and mechanically against slightly older EL versions from before 2014 I looked at carefully (noticeable improvements in straylight resistence, focus wheel quality, contrast). I looked at a few bins yesterday for 2 hours and compared them also with recent makes of the two NOCTIVIDs (all binos have been brand new and according to serial numbers or certificates have been made in April 2019). My findings (subjective):

Both new ELs have an even going, powerful focus wheel. Even in both directions with the same amount of friction, no bumbs and zero play. The smoothest focuser is on my SF 8x42, the nicest feeling had the NOCTIVID focus wheel nevertheless, also regarding the focus change speed. That is LEICA perfection (although I saw early NOCTIVID versions with bad focusers).
The EL 8x32 is more sensitive against glare. Due to its lighter weight it is a tad easier to hold. Both felt a bit heavy compared to my SF 8x42. The NOCTIVID 10x42 felt lighter in hand compared to the NV 8x42 (!). Although FOV/ 1000m of the EL 8x32 is larger compared to the EL 8.5x42, the flattening within the image is much stronger and for me appeared less lifelike/ "plastic/ 3D-ish" compared to the 8.5x42. The biggest difference for me was contour sharpness. The NOCTVIDs and my SF where quite similar here, the EL 8x32 more crisp (very similar to the ZEISS 8x32 FL or an HT) but the sharpest image with the best contrast I have ever seen in any binocular ever had the EL 8.5x42. It is outstanding in that respect.
Eye placement is also a bit more critical on the EL 8x32 compared to the 8.5x42. For eye glass use the SF 8x42 is the best in my opinion (no blackouts whatsoever). The extra magnification of the 8.5x42 is noticeable for me compared to my SF and that I found surprising a bit. Details where easier to detect with the EL 8.5x42.

In darkness, the SF 8x42 is outperforming the others slightly and is class leading.

Surprisingly I found the NV 10x42 to be slightly superior above the NV 8x42 in contrast (sample variation?).

All the bins ZEISS SF, NOCTIVIDs and SV EL´s are outstanding.

I would like to have a 8.5x bin with the colour fidelity, diopter mechanics and focus wheel feeling of the LEICA NOCTIVID, the ergonomy, felt weight, image brightness and ease of eye placement of my ZEISS SF 8x42 and the contour crispness/ MTF/ aberration- absence and flat-field correction of the SVAROVISION EL 8.5x42.

Summary: If weight is an issue go with the EL 8x32, for best image quality (contrast, false light behavior), the 8.5x42 is the way to go. Also the 8.5x magnification makes a difference to me.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
Hello,

I am here with my German colleague that 8,5x42 would be my glass for the island.
Where I am not the same, have blackouts in the Zeiss SF 8x42!
Noctivids I had three pieces, 2x 8x42 u. 1x 10x42, the two 8x models were visually very different, significant serveral scattering.

Andreas

P.S. Michael, ein 10x32 Noctivid gibt es (noch) nicht, vielleicht von dir schon eine Prophezeihung des Kommenden...

Last edited:
Hello,

I am here with my German colleague that 8,5x42 would be my glass for the island.
Where I am not the same, have blackouts in the Zeiss SF 8x42!
Noctivids I had three pieces, 2x 8x42 u. 1x 10x42, the two 8x models were visually very different, significant serveral scattering.

Andreas

P.S. Michael, ein 10x32 Noctivid gibt es (noch) nicht, vielleicht von dir schon eine Prophezeihung des Kommenden...

Ich meinte das NV 10x42 natürlich (habe es oben korrigiert, Danke).

Hello,

the recent models of the EL SWAROVISION WB Field Pro Package of the EL 8x32 and 8.5x42 differ. They also differ optically and mechanically against slightly older EL versions from before 2014 I looked at carefully (noticeable improvements in straylight resistence, focus wheel quality, contrast). I looked at a few bins yesterday for 2 hours and compared them also with recent makes of the two NOCTIVIDs (all binos have been brand new and according to serial numbers or certificates have been made in April 2019). My findings (subjective):

Both new ELs have an even going, powerful focus wheel. Even in both directions with the same amount of friction, no bumbs and zero play. The smoothest focuser is on my SF 8x42, the nicest feeling had the NOCTIVID focus wheel nevertheless, also regarding the focus change speed. That is LEICA perfection (although I saw early NOCTIVID versions with bad focusers).
The EL 8x32 is more sensitive against glare. Due to its lighter weight it is a tad easier to hold. Both felt a bit heavy compared to my SF 8x42. The NOCTIVID 10x42 felt lighter in hand compared to the NV 8x42 (!). Although FOV/ 1000m of the EL 8x32 is larger compared to the EL 8.5x42, the flattening within the image is much stronger and for me appeared less lifelike/ "plastic/ 3D-ish" compared to the 8.5x42. The biggest difference for me was contour sharpness. The NOCTVIDs and my SF where quite similar here, the EL 8x32 more crisp (very similar to the ZEISS 8x32 FL or an HT) but the sharpest image with the best contrast I have ever seen in any binocular ever had the EL 8.5x42. It is outstanding in that respect.
Eye placement is also a bit more critical on the EL 8x32 compared to the 8.5x42. For eye glass use the SF 8x42 is the best in my opinion (no blackouts whatsoever). The extra magnification of the 8.5x42 is noticeable for me compared to my SF and that I found surprising a bit. Details where easier to detect with the EL 8.5x42.

In darkness, the SF 8x42 is outperforming the others slightly and is class leading.

Surprisingly I found the NV 10x42 to be slightly superior above the NV 8x42 in contrast (sample variation?).

All the bins ZEISS SF, NOCTIVIDs and SV EL´s are outstanding.

I would like to have a 8.5x bin with the colour fidelity, diopter mechanics and focus wheel feeling of the LEICA NOCTIVID, the ergonomy, felt weight, image brightness and ease of eye placement of my ZEISS SF 8x42 and the contour crispness/ MTF/ aberration- absence and flat-field correction of the SVAROVISION EL 8.5x42.

Summary: If weight is an issue go with the EL 8x32, for best image quality (contrast, false light behavior), the 8.5x42 is the way to go. Also the 8.5x magnification makes a difference to me.

Thanks
Michael

Michael,
Thank you for an extremely clear and informative comparison of these instruments. I think you must be a triple agent, working for all three German-speaking companies as the effect of your comparison is that I wouldn't mind going out and buying every one of these binoculars...

Seriously speaking, your comparison shows how good they all are, depending as usual which particular features suit the individual user's handling and tastes best.

But talking to my local dealer who has visited the Swarovski factory, dealt with a few repairs under warranty, also some where the owner freely admitted damage was his own fault but the manufacturer still made no repair charge, I get the feeling that Swarovski's attention to quality control and service back up is the most impressive of all the makes.

That's not to say that the others are necessarily below par on these counts, of course.

Tom

Dear Tom,

thanks for the nice words. Of course we know here that it is not possible to have everything in a perfect package and that the makers of such fine instruments make core decisions up front when starting the optical design process. These also have an impact on length (final cosmetical design!), weight distribution and geometrical field correction of a high- end binocular. Regarding the image colour appearance there is more freedom (coating technologies). CA control also is a matter of material choice and willingness to use expensive raw materials. The same is for stray light reduction (baffling, additional stops, stray light reducing black coating inside the instrument).

I do not understand though the noticeable differences of the offered outfits regarding the attention to detail (e.g. quality of eyecups, cases, straps, mechanical perfection etc.) and sample variation. Everybody who is willed to spend 2500 EUR on a bin would most probably also spend a bit more if the outfits are as good as possible.

But you are perfectly right, the fact that I never saw an optical lemon SV EL 8.5x42 speaks for an extremely strict testing process and quality control. Also I have to agree with you that the customer care of SWAROVSKI has yet to be beaten by LEICA and ZEISS.

All the best
Michael

I really enjoyed your comparisons sir! I haven't spent as much time with the SF models or indeed the Noctivids as I would like, but your impressions of the 8.5x42 Fieldpro (ie. in relation to sharpness/contrast and that the extra .5x is more noticeable than one might think) mirror my own. The combination of the qualities you mentioned really make it a superlative product.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back