• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterfowl - Lake Torneträsk, Abisko, Sweden (19/05/2019) (1 Viewer)

ryan11111

https://www.instagram.com/the_zoology_duo/
Hi all,

Would anybody be able to help me confirm the species that I saw today?
I think they are these species but I am not 100% confident so would like some other people's opinions...

Photos:
1) Common scoter (Melanitta nigra)?
2) Velvet scoter (Melanitta fusca)?
3) Lesser scaup (Aythya affinis)?
4) Black-throated diver (Gavia arctica)?
5) Little gull (Hydrocoloeus minutus)?

Thanks,

Ryan

Attachments

• P1200933.jpg
    P1200933.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 71
  • P1200948.jpg
    P1200948.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 69
  • P1200970.jpg
    P1200970.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P1200938.jpg
    P1200938.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 75
  • P1200974.jpg
    P1200974.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 85
Agree with your IDs 1,2 and 4... #3 looks like "Greater" Scaup to me(Aythya marila) and the Gull, may be a Black-headed with that white leading edge.

Last edited:
Here are some more photos to help :)

Attachments

• P1200967.jpg
    P1200967.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 32
  • P1200975.jpg
    P1200975.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 41
  • P1200976.jpg
    P1200976.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 61
Greater Scaup and Black-headed Gull still with new pics. The white leading edge of wing points to BH Gull... a Little Gull would have a white trailing edge. BH can show grayish underwing which can appear very dark.

Greater Scaup with that greenish gloss on the head. There's nothing in the head shape to suggest Lesser and and Lesser Scaup would be a rarity in Sweden. The gull looks like Little Gull. That black underwing is a tell tale sign. They're also very small although, of course, that's impossible to judge from a photo of a single bird.

ATB
Tom

I am not an expert on Scaup but I understand the head shape matters.
In this case, according to my (limited) knowledge, the head shape points more to Great scaup than Lesser scaup. Still, if others would be able to comment on this particular aspect, it would be helpful

I am not an expert on Scaup but I understand the head shape matters.
In this case, according to my (limited) knowledge, the head shape points more to Great scaup than Lesser scaup. Still, if others would be able to comment on this particular aspect, it would be helpful

As has already been said, Lesser Scaup is a Nearctic species and would be classed as a rarity in Sweden; to have a pair of them would be even less likely! Many factors can contribute to a correct identification, not just appearance.

RB

Greater Scaup and Black-headed Gull are expected in Sweden, Little Gull is rarer (and the wing pattern is wrong here), Lesser Scaup is a rarity. The pictures are certainly GS and BHG.

Speaking to a local bird ringer I was told that Lesser Scaup and Little Gull are more common here in Abisko (in the Swedish Arctic on the border of Norway) than GS and BHH? I don't know if this changes anything with the ID's?

Speaking to a local bird ringer I was told that Lesser Scaup and Little Gull are more common here in Abisko (in the Swedish Arctic on the border of Norway) than GS and BHH? I don't know if this changes anything with the ID's?

Can't speak for the gulls, but your local ringer is almost certainly wrong about the scaups...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back