• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Öland, Sweden 12 May 2019 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I took this picture of a bird thinking it was a Northern Wheatear just looking through the camera. And I have taken many pictures during my stay in Sweden and today I had a look at the picture on my computer.

For sure, it is not a Northern Wheatear. Anyone that can be so kind to tell me what kind of bird it is? After having opened in my computer I have identified it as a female common redstart, but I´m very doubtful.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 12 May 2019.jpg
    12 May 2019.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 115
I'd say a female Black Redstart (phoenicurus ochruros)

Thank you very much!

Da#rn! hey look very like. The black is darker on the breast, but then when I check the internet there are several pictures with a light grey breast as well looking like my bird.

Thank you and happy birding
Aladdin

You're welcome, it's a nice bird to spot. Not too many birds out there (Scandinavia) with a reddish tail, so that helps to narrow it down.

If you can afford it, the app Collins birdguide (androind / iOS) is well worth getting to determinate birds from Europe. It has the same info as the book, but with the advantage of including bird songs and calls for the species, and it's nice and portable.

@nutcracker I'd rule out the first summer male seeing it's so early in the season (may 12th), but yeah that's the best alternative.

Looks like common redstart to me. Overall pale appearance, buffy underparts, very pale belly and undertail fit better for this species.

Looks like common redstart to me. Overall pale appearance, buffy underparts, very pale belly and undertail fit better for this species.

Hello Fat Paul Scholes

Same as I thought, but then I saw a lot of pictures on Internet with the same light grey on the chest and they look the same too me.

I saw several common redstarts on Öland, but only male

Aladdin

You're welcome, it's a nice bird to spot. Not too many birds out there (Scandinavia) with a reddish tail, so that helps to narrow it down.

If you can afford it, the app Collins birdguide (androind / iOS) is well worth getting to determinate birds from Europe. It has the same info as the book, but with the advantage of including bird songs and calls for the species, and it's nice and portable.

Thank you Iestat

I have Collins (The Svensson) but it was so confusing as I was pretty sure with the dark grey black redstart, but then I saw alot of pictures of a Black redstart with the same light grey chest and underparts

Aladdin

Common Redstart. Incidentally lestat, why can it not be a first summer? A bird in its first summer would have hatched last year, not this?!

RB

@Rotherbirder well if that's the case then I'm misinformed.
I was lead to believe that after January first it would be a second year. I'll be the first to admit that it may be wrong, but it kind of makes sense, most are born in spring early summer, making that the first summer. Once their fluffy down disappears from sight for 'normal' plumage.

For me as a general rule for a passerine, I would say the bird is in it's 2nd calendar year but it's 1st summer plumage. This is based on it being a nestling, then fledgling, juvenile, 1st winter then becoming a 1st summer / adult.But there are other approaches to aging. Redstart for me.

I was lead to believe that after January first it would be a second year. I'll be the first to admit that it may be wrong, but it kind of makes sense, most are born in spring early summer, making that the first summer. Once their fluffy down disappears from sight for 'normal' plumage.

yes confusing, 2nd calendar year is first summer, even more confusing to me is american ageing, but you simply have to get used to it I guess

1st-calender year (i.e. year of hatching) = juvenile or 1st-winter.
2nd-calendar year = 1st-summer or 2nd-winter
3rd-calendar year = 2nd-summer or 3rd-winter etc.

FWIW, looks like a Common Redstart to me too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back