• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Gull - origin of name (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
Something I was wondering the other day was how did the Common Gull get its name? Although far from rare, compared to other gulls like the Black-headed and Herring they are not what I would call common either (at least in my corner of the country). Was there a time in the past decades/centuries when they were significantly more common than now?

Something I was wondering the other day was how did the Common Gull get its name? Although far from rare, compared to other gulls like the Black-headed and Herring they are not what I would call common either (at least in my corner of the country). Was there a time in the past decades/centuries when they were significantly more common than now?

What I've always heard is that "Common Gull" was so named because, unlike most other British gulls, it was "common" inland as well as near the sea. Dto for "Common Sandpiper". Interestingly enough, even the Common Gull's latin name --Larus canus--stresses the ordinariness of this species, since canus means "gray" & Common Gulls are no more or less gray than most of the other gulls in their range.

Last edited:
It's to do with them occurring inland on 'common' pasture land (as in the Wombles of Wimbledon Common etc).

Fair question, has been discussed on here before.

Andrew is spot on, it was named Common after its habit of nesting on common land, usually the poor, damp grazing land in a district which the pheasant farmers were forced to graze their livestock on. So it was 'the gull of the common'.

Andrew is spot on, it was named Common after its habit of nesting on common land, usually the poor, damp grazing land in a district which the pheasant farmers were forced to graze their livestock on. So it was 'the gull of the common'.

Do you have a reference for this opinion by any chance, or is it just something you've read somewhere? I just did a (very) quick google but didn't come up with anything.

Folk etymology has many pitfalls!

Do you have a reference for this opinion by any chance, or is it just something you've read somewhere? I just did a (very) quick google but didn't come up with anything.

I also heard this origin quoted many times, can't say whether its myth or truth though

common land- how intriguing: never knew that

a quick google suggests reference here:

Okill, Dave (2004) English names for Western Palearctic birds British Birds 97(7): 348-9

FWIW, Francesca Greenoak 1997 (British Birds: their Folklore, Names and Literature) concludes "that the word 'common' refers not to the frequency of occurrence but is used in the Middle English sense of having no distinguishing features".

FWIW, Francesca Greenoak 1997 (British Birds: their Folklore, Names and Literature) concludes "that the word 'common' refers not to the frequency of occurrence but is used in the Middle English sense of having no distinguishing features".

Interesting. Applies also to Common Sandpiper does it, in her opinion?

Sounds like a worthwhile book; as soon as I sign off here I'll start looking for a copy.

Last edited:
Applies also to Common Sandpiper does it, in her opinion?
Greenoak: "Sandpiper, the standard name for this bird, was originally (according to Willughby, 1678) a Yorkshire local name".

In this case, the prefix 'Common' is presumably just the usual modern qualifier designed to avoid ambiguity with 'other' sandpipers.

Last edited:
According to my Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names, Thomas Pennant named it Common Gull in 1768 because it was the most numerous of its genus. Also, I recall reading (sorry, no cite) that Black-headed Gull didn't used to be so common in England and Victorians went down to the Thames to watch them when they where still a novelty.

According to my Oxford Dictionary of British Bird Names, Thomas Pennant named it Common Gull in 1768 because it was the most numerous of its genus. Also, I recall reading (sorry, no cite) that Black-headed Gull didn't used to be so common in England and Victorians went down to the Thames to watch them when they where still a novelty.

I don't have a copy of Pennant, but here's what I take to be the relevant passage (as quoted in the OED: gull, n.1, common gull).

"1766 {Pennant Zool. (1768) II. 424. Common Gull. This is the most numerous of the genus. It breeds on the ledges of the cliffs that impend over the sea."

I don't know if this moves us much forward, since the extract simply juxtaposes "Common Gull" & "most numerous" without making an explicit link between them, and thus leaves the door open to the various other "origin theories" scouted in the thread: "inland gull", "gull of the commons", "nondescript gull". Very slippery creatures, words!

Before all this started I'd been thinking that 'Common' meant they were distributed widely over many countries and even continents. In this case Common (Mew) Gull is found in North America, Europe and Asia.

Having looked at some of the 'common' birds and their habitats, some are found in forests, which doesn't really sound like common land to me, at least as we know it today.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back