• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anders Sparrman (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Suddenly there´s claims all over the internet regarding the well-known Swedish naturalist and Linnaean disciple Anders Sparrman (1748–1820) commemorated in loads of scientific names … that his name should have been Anders Erikson Sparrman!?

Even the HBW Alive Key has been amended to the latter version!?

But … there is no such claims whatsoever, not even close, in Swedish sources!

Anders Sparrman was the son of Eric Sparrman (1706–65) and his wife Brita (born Högbom, 1711–94). His Grandfather was Nils Sparrman (1668–1722), his Grand grandfather was Johan Sparrman (1624–90) and his Grand grand grandfather was Erik Rungius, who married Ingeborg Sparrman, hence the name.

Anyone know the origin of this claim?
x

Last edited:
Still no-one knows where "Erikson" (in the alleged name "Anders Erikson Sparrman") was originally written or first published?

If a secondary source, I´m real curious … based on what?

And James (if you´re still here) how come you amended the entry for Sparrman?

In today´s HBW Alive Key:
sparmanii / sparmanni / sparrmani / sparrmanii / sparrmanni /sparrmannii
Dr Anders Erikson Sparrman (1748-1820) Swedish zoologist, explorer, collector in South Africa 1772-1776 (syn. Anas acuta (ex Anas alandica Sparrman, 1788) ..., syn. Cyanoramphus novaezelandiae, syn. Indicator indicator, syn. Nycticorax caledonicus, syn. Vini peruviana (ex "Perruche Sparrmann" of Levaillant 1801-1805)).
However, in your Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names 2010 it´s (simple and only):
sparrmani Dr Anders Sparrman (1748–1820) Swedish zoologist, explorer and collector in South Africa 1772–1776 (syn. Indicator indicator).
Where (while working those synonyms?) did you find, or picked up, the "Erikson"?

I think I must have picked up "Erikson" (or "Eriksson") from Google, Wikipedia, etc. All my early book references mention plain Anders Sparrman. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks Mark!

I sure wonder where they got that from!?

There is, as I wrote in post No. 1, no such claim (not that I´m aware of anyway) in Swedish sources. And he´s a quite familiar person in Sweden. I will look into this, in depth, but it will take a while. There´s loads of original material to check.

The main thing (this far); as also the heading of the Oxford Companion to world exploration 2007 entry state, is that he is known as: Anders Sparrman (1748–1820).

I´ll be back ... in due course!

PS. Do you, or anyone else in the US, have access to that entry, in full? I can see only the first three (and a half) lines of the Sparrman entry in the Google Book link you attached. Are there, maybe, any references?
---

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back