• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A falcon? Marettimo Sicily (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

27 April, seen arriving alone over the sea from the southwest, ca.17.50.

nos. 1 - 5 I think all of one individual.

(nos. 1,2,3 taken within seconds of each other; nos. 4, 5 taken 50 seconds later; the only other raptor I was aware of in this period was a pale Booted Eagle)

Could this be a Lanner falcon? slim, longwinged, with light-coloured thighs, greybrown uppers? A hint of moustache just visible in no.4.

Does no.5 show a tail too long for Lanner? Perhaps nos.4 & 5 show another individual?

Once again, I am sorry for poor quality photos.

Attachments

• p1470777.jpg
    p1470777.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 48
  • p1470779.jpg
    p1470779.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
  • p1470780.jpg
    p1470780.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 42
  • p1470784.jpg
    p1470784.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
  • p1470785.jpg
    p1470785.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 75
Hi, thank you for putting me right. My original query said "Falcon or Kestrel?", I should have stuck to that! The hovering posture should have alerted me, I guess. But funnily enough, the few Kestrels I've seen here in Lunigiana I have never seen hover, unlike the ones in England.

Hi, thank you for putting me right. My original query said "Falcon or Kestrel?", I should have stuck to that! The hovering posture should have alerted me, I guess. But funnily enough, the few Kestrels I've seen here in Lunigiana I have never seen hover, unlike the ones in England.

Kestrels are falcons though!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back