• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300/2.8 IS mkII prices (1 Viewer)

Can anybody advise on the performance of the Non IS version against the IS MkI if solely used on tripod? Or is there another site where I can view the comparison like the one linked above?

Thanks.

There are marked differences in balance and handling between the mark 1 and 2 and although the actual weight difference does not look huge combined with the new ergonomics it seems to make more of a difference than is obvious from the mere stats. The 3 IS modes also include the new mode 3 which is interesting as the IS does not kick in until the shutter is released in theory making it easier to stay on erratically moving subjects. I have not used it much yet but it is possibly a useful feature. Small differences that are never worth the additional cash if you want to be truly logical but if you wanted true value for money you would settle for a bit less image quality and spend £4000 less on a cheaper lens option. Its all relative. All images on my blog from Norway Varanger June 2012 taken with the 300 II some with 1.4 III and some with 2x III
All are either hand held or with a monopod
http://www.photos.nyctea.co.uk/p536145730
http://pewit.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:
There are marked differences in balance and handling between the mark 1 and 2 and although the actual weight difference does not look huge combined with the new ergonomics

New Ergonomics? excellent. so presumably you can now turn AF and IS "on and off", and switch IS modes without your left hand leaving the focus barrel/lens body, or your eye leaving the viewfinder?
Suspect they have totally re-designed those buttons for a start ;)

Last edited:
Graham, that was a gallery of nice photos. I assume all are taken with the 300 2.8 IS II? Any specific photo that you can point out with heavy cropping? Any idea how the oldie 300 2.8 (non IS) perform against the IS versions when mounted on tripods? I am looking for a 300 2.8 with the best value for money. The newer version's price are just so scary.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back