• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which lens ? (1 Viewer)

gasdog

hi,now l have the canon 100-400 f4 l lens,l need a smaller walk about lens.something like the canon 28-70 f2.8 usm L lens,24--105 f 4 L is usm. think lve got L disease or a sigma . l cant help being drawn to L lenses as l thank they are the best,any advice ,thanks Ann

Hi Ann

Due to the crop sensor of your 7D I would suggest the EF-S Canon 17-55mm IS, not an L lens, but they don't make any in the EF-S range.

Its image quality is superb, constant f/2.8 and the IS is an added bonus, probably my favourite and most used lens

Rich

I too think that on a crop body 24 is not wide enough. However for a walk around lens I also fel 55 is not long enough. So I use the Sigma 17-70. I have the old version but the newer version has OS (Sigmas version of IS) although it doesn't have constant 2.8. It is also good for close ups, although is not a true macro lens it gives good results with things like flowers.

I use the 15 - 85 lens and its a cracker even though its not an "L" lens. F3.5 to 5.6 is not a problem for me. Regards Tony

As long as you dont need wide wide then the 24/105 is a very nice lens has a great range too, i bought it rather than the 24/70 L and dont regret it at all.
Rob.

To my mind the best two options are the EF-S 17–55 2.8 IS and the 24–105 4.0L IS. It all comes down to the focal length range that you think you will need for what you plan to photograph. What do you want to use it for? The 20–70 2.8L (or the newer 24–70 2.8L) are fantastic lenses too, but they weigh quite lot, and unless you need f2.8 the 24–105 is probably a better bet.
Steve

To my mind the best two options are the EF-S 17–55 2.8 IS and the 24–105 4.0L IS. It all comes down to the focal length range that you think you will need for what you plan to photograph. What do you want to use it for? The 20–70 2.8L (or the newer 24–70 2.8L) are fantastic lenses too, but they weigh quite lot, and unless you need f2.8 the 24–105 is probably a better bet.
Steve

I don't know anything about the 17-55 so cannot comment on that but I certainly wouldn't recommend the 24-105 over the 24-70 unless IS is vital. I know that the lower weight, wider range and IS all make the 24-105 an attractive option but the 24-70 out strips it in terms of image quality.

I don't know anything about the 17-55 so cannot comment on that but I certainly wouldn't recommend the 24-105 over the 24-70 unless IS is vital. I know that the lower weight, wider range and IS all make the 24-105 an attractive option but the 24-70 out strips it in terms of image quality.

Totally agree

I've had 2 24-105s and thought they were good lenses. Until I got a 24-70. Even in a studio at f8 the difference is noticeable. Wide open its in a different league

Last edited:
I use the Tamron 17-50/2.8 as my landscape and short portrait lens (when for one reason or another my 100/2.8 is too long). It is the old version without stabiliser, but I don't find that a problem with such a short lens. It's incredible sharp at all focal lenghts with good contrast.

Thomas

I would suggest spending the money you will save by not buying a top of the line Canon lens on 2 lenses to better cover the range you need.

i.e.
Sigma 10-20mm
and
Tamron 28-75mm (or 17-50)

Last edited:
I would suggest spending the money you will save by not buying a top of the line Canon lens on 2 lenses to better cover the range you need.

i.e.
Sigma 10-20mm
and
Tamron 28-75mm (or 17-50)

I think it really depends on what you want to shoot. Work out what focal lengths you will use and buy the best you can to cover it. The ultra wides (like the 10-20) have very limited use so it's worth finding out if you'll use it before buying it. I have an ultra wide and it gets very little use (hasn't been on the camera yet this year). However if the ultra wide is wanted then it's definitely worth looking at the option suggested.

thanks again for all your advice,l shall look into to all your suggestions,l am drawn to aL lens can anyone prove other wise.It seems the 24-70mm seems to be better. l have a sigma 17-35 f2.8 which l rarely use.What l want is a lens l can take out when walking the dogs,l also do sculpture of animals and dog commisions and use my little compact as reference. l would also like to take better dog portraits .Anyone interested my web site is www.anngascoine.co.uk

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back