• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lockdown photo thread (1 Viewer)

Birdforum in general seems to have dwindled into a fairly small number of contributors, the same names on every thread.

It all gets a bit predicable. Some variation of the saying "never meet your heroes because they are sure to disappoint"! Seems to come into play!

Or maybe all the others are sneaking about getting their year-lists up! :-O

John

Birdforum in general seems to have dwindled into a fairly small number of contributors, the same names on every thread.

It all gets a bit predicable. Some variation of the saying "never meet your heroes because they are sure to disappoint"! Seems to come into play!

I have no idea how to interpret this or any of the rest of it?

Last edited:
Re:Lockdown.....

All from archives. Southern Birdwing, Atlas moth and a Death'shead Hawk moth..

Jp

Attachments

• BF 006.jpg
    BF 006.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 32
  • D7X_1962.JPG
    D7X_1962.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 28
  • NDX_1044.JPG
    NDX_1044.JPG
    530.8 KB · Views: 36
All from archives. Southern Birdwing, Atlas moth and a Death'shead Hawk moth..

Jp

Ten out of ten... now that's what we like!

Is that Eastern Death's Head Hawk-moth as seen on the cinema advert for Silence of the Lambs? To me it doesn't quite look like our European one, colours are off.

Cheers

John

Is that Eastern Death's Head Hawk-moth as seen on the cinema advert for Silence of the Lambs? To me it doesn't quite look like our European one, colours are off.

Cheers

John

Exactly, stunning shots!

This is one of my favourites from Belarus, Purple-shot Copper.

Attachments

• _dsc7509_23736809622_o.jpg
    _dsc7509_23736809622_o.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I'm afraid I have next to no pics of exotic lepidoptera, other than this beaut that decided to hang off a scope while we were looking for White-faced Plover in Thailand few years back.

Attachments

• DSCF2632.JPG
    DSCF2632.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 39
I'm afraid I have next to no pics of exotic lepidoptera, other than this beaut that decided to hang off a scope while we were looking for White-faced Plover in Thailand few years back.

Stonking is the word that comes to mind.

I saw one at the airport at St Just in the late 90's or early Noughties. Some birders who had been staying in the valleys and doing a bit of moth trapping, had caught one and on hearing that we were all fog bound at the airport, were good enough to bring it along and show it around.

Was it the erroneous Spotless Starling twitch?

Hi

A few from the Pyrenees

Attachments

• IMG_1256 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1256 (Medium).JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P9250017 (Medium).JPG
    P9250017 (Medium).JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P6250025 (Medium).JPG
    P6250025 (Medium).JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2051 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2051 (Medium).JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 18
1 Two-tailed Pasha
2 Copper Sp?
3 Blue sp
4 Heath sp?
5 Palm Borer

Lovely shots, no book to hand, care to fill in the gaps?

Hi Andy

Two-tailed Pasha Charaxes jasius Aude
Copper Large Lycaena dispar Pays Basque
Blue Baton Pseudophilotes baton Aude
Heath Pearly Coenonympha arcania Aude
Palm Moth Paysandisia archon Aude

I will load a few more after watching Dads Army:-O France ( I have a brilliant VPN)

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Two-tailed Pasha Charaxes jasius Aude
Copper Large Lycaena dispar Pays Basque
Blue Baton Pseudophilotes baton Aude
Heath Pearly Coenonympha arcania Aude
Palm Moth Paysandisia archon Aude

I will load a few more after watching Dads Army:-O France ( I have a brilliant VPN)

Steve

Excellent,
thanks.

Dad's Army, original or remake?

Dads Army just as the UK watches it but for me via internet
The BBC Dads Army drama tonight was brilliant 1968 I was just 14 years old Dad was one of them not in the series but later in real life surviving Africa

A few Whites here

Attachments

• P7021077.jpg
    P7021077.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 20
  • P6130274 (Medium).JPG
    P6130274 (Medium).JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 18
  • P6290952 (Medium).JPG
    P6290952 (Medium).JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P6240077 (Medium).JPG
    P6240077 (Medium).JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    609.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Here's a couple from my own garden in the middle of England just to show that you never know what you might get - OK, they're 10 years apart but think lucky and you'll be lucky.

Camberwell Beauty was attracted to a bucket of potato peelings which were ready to be taken to the compost heap at the top of the garden and the Convolvulus Hawkmoth was in the greenhouse which had lots of Nicotiana plants nearby

Attachments

• convolvulous hawkmoth hinckley sep 13 2016 A Baker.jpg
    convolvulous hawkmoth hinckley sep 13 2016 A Baker.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1805camberwell-beauty-sep-3-200.jpg
    1805camberwell-beauty-sep-3-200.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 18
Here's a couple from my own garden in the middle of England just to show that you never know what you might get - OK, they're 10 years apart but think lucky and you'll be lucky.

Camberwell Beauty was attracted to a bucket of potato peelings which were ready to be taken to the compost heap at the top of the garden and the Convolvulus Hawkmoth was in the greenhouse which had lots of Nicotiana plants nearby

Incredible!

Dads Army just as the UK watches it but for me via internet
The BBC Dads Army drama tonight was brilliant 1968 I was just 14 years old Dad was one of them not in the series but later in real life surviving Africa

A few Whites here

1 Bath White
2 Black-veined White
3-4 More Bath whites or different species?
4 One of the African or Asian Orange-tips?

Cheers

John

I am told that there could be considerable variations in the wing design...

Jp

I am told that there could be considerable variations in the wing design...

Jp

Thank you. I'd reached that conclusion looking at James's photo which was taken in Thailand but looks to me just like the ones I've seen here in UK!

Edit: One of which, on Scilly in 2011, I have now found. The background is the sports bag belonging to the finder or rather trapper, whose name I unfortunately didn't record.

John

Attachments

• 20111015 (1)_Deaths_Head_Hawk-moth.jpg
    20111015 (1)_Deaths_Head_Hawk-moth.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
1 Bath White
2 Black-veined White
3-4 More Bath whites or different species?
4 One of the African or Asian Orange-tips?

1 White Bath Pontia daplidice Pays Basque
2 White Black veined Aporia crataegi Pays Basque
3 White Mountain Dappled Euchloe simplonia Pays Basque
4 Provence orange tip Anthocharis euphenoides Aude

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back